Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to crossbows. Picked up a Barnett Whitetail STR last week. Trying to choose my bolt/broadheads pairing for the upcoming deer season. I've been shooting 300 grain headhunters, 370 Whitetails, and 390 grain Piledrivers. All with 100 grain field points.
The similarly weighted Whitetails and Piledrivers seem to have same point of aim, point of impact; however, the Headhunters are 6 high and 3 inches r ight at 30 yards. I would expect a higher impact due to being lighter but that much? And why the windage change?
I also noticed that of the pack of 6 piledrivers, 2 consistently impact a couple of inches low and to the right. Is that common? I've marked them and put them aside.
I'm also wondering why I'm getting a white in color residue on the left side of my flight rail. I'm not sure what it is. I guess it may be excess wax coming off the string but shouldn't that be happening on both sides?
Should I expect the bolt to have even contact along the entire flight rail? When cocked and nocked the last couple inches of bolt have a very small, but perceptible to touch, separation. It's like a little diving board and I'm referring to where there's still rail under the bolt.
That's a lot of questions but honestly I'm a bit frustrated with the experience so far and I haven't even tried a broadhead yet.
Thanks in advance for any help or information.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Serious congrats on the new Xbow.

A very popular arrow are BloodSport Hunter and Witness arrows. Great arrows and both shoot straight.

BS Hunter weight 300 grain and BS Witness weighs 325 grain.

For more Barnett details I'd advise going to the Barnett forum. Lot's of support and intel in that forum regarding your comments on the flight rail.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm brand new to crossbows. Picked up a Barnett Whitetail STR last week. Trying to choose my bolt/broadheads pairing for the upcoming deer season. I've been shooting 300 grain headhunters, 370 Whitetails, and 390 grain Piledrivers. All with 100 grain field points.
The similarly weighted Whitetails and Piledrivers seem to have same point of aim, point of impact; however, the Headhunters are 6 high and 3 inches r ight at 30 yards. I would expect a higher impact due to being lighter but that much? And why the windage change?
I also noticed that of the pack of 6 piledrivers, 2 consistently impact a couple of inches low and to the right. Is that common? I've marked them and put them aside.
I'm also wondering why I'm getting a white in color residue on the left side of my flight rail. I'm not sure what it is. I guess it may be excess wax coming off the string but shouldn't that be happening on both sides?
Should I expect the bolt to have even contact along the entire flight rail? When cocked and nocked the last couple inches of bolt have a very small, but perceptible to touch, separation. It's like a little diving board and I'm referring to where there's still rail under the bolt.
That's a lot of questions but honestly I'm a bit frustrated with the experience so far and I haven't even tried a broadhead yet.
Thanks in advance for any help or information.
I have no experience with your other arrows but have had the same experience with pile drivers of 14 I own about half of them are consistently off the mark. : convinced you need to upgrade to better arrows. Check out older threads about spine indexing and spine matching. I just recently became a believer. Common opinion here at CBN is custom arrows from South Shore Archery in the form of Executioners or Spynal Tapps is the surest fix. Planning to make that call myself. Welcome and good luck !!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I use the Barnett headhunter arrows and they work great for me. I pair them with grim reaper heads and my whitetail hunter is a tack driver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Serious congrats on the new Xbow.

A very popular arrow are BloodSport Hunter and Witness arrows. Great arrows and both shoot straight.

BS Hunter weight 300 grain and BS Witness weighs 325 grain.

For more Barnett details I'd advise going to the Barnett forum. Lot's of support and intel in that forum regarding your comments on the flight rail.

Good luck!
Thanks. I'll look into the bloodsports.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no experience with your other arrows but have had the same experience with pile drivers of 14 I own about half of them are consistently off the mark. : convinced you need to upgrade to better arrows. Check out older threads about spine indexing and spine matching. I just recently became a believer. Common opinion here at CBN is custom arrows from South Shore Archery in the form of Executioners or Spynal Tapps is the surest fix. Planning to make that call myself. Welcome and good luck !!!
Well, it's not just me with the piledrivers. I'll do some homework based on your suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use the Barnett headhunter arrows and they work great for me. I pair them with grim reaper heads and my whitetail hunter is a tack driver.
I like them too but seems like this is an either/or situation. Guess I have to pick

·
Registered
84 Posts
My first crossbow was a Whtetail pro STR. Had the same problems. As far as the gap at the end of the rail...try rolling the shaft ever so slightly. for me that would get them to settle down. Make sure you do not pull the nock away from the string. White streaking on the rail is probably from the nocks. Check them for wear. Ditto with Tom on the Bloodsports. My STR came with 22” arrows but 20” work fine. Welcome to the world of crossbows! It’s addicting!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts