Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve spent the last few weeks seriously researching crossbows (I’m brand new to all of this), and I was considering axe/mag 340 or matrix 340. But then I happened across a new BD 330 and I decided to pull the trigger. Haven’t shot it but looks and feels great. Plan to go out tomorrow to sight it in and test it out. Excited!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

From what I read on crossbownation, I was interested in something around 350FPS or below, and wasn’t looking for a takedown. And I wasn’t sure about a micro. I wanted something that had a moderate draw weight with relatively low stress limbs that would last a long time. 330 BD seemed like a good mix for what I wanted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The newer BD330 has the newer limbs. My 330 creates 328fps with a 411 grain arrow.
Even my Short 308 has small splinters on the limbs, that i have switched to the newer generation limbs. Now it is a Short 313. I will stay with the under 260lbs bows. You have made a good decision!

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
View attachment 184501 I’ve spent the last few weeks seriously researching crossbows (I’m brand new to all of this), and I was considering axe/mag 340 or matrix 340. But then I happened across a new BD 330 and I decided to pull the trigger. Haven’t shot it but looks and feels great. Plan to go out tomorrow to sight it in and test it out. Excited!
Congrats, Rblrbl0505 (say that 10 times real fast, right? LOL, J/K).
I hope she brings years of shooting pleasure, she is a beauty!
Have fun and be safe.
Cheers,
dynamo61

Reactions: Rblrbl0505 and SEW

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had that same bow before and it is an awesome bow. I regret selling it. Hoping to buy any other one sometime sooner or later. You will love that bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
4,775 Posts
I‘ve shot Excaliburs for about 10 years. A BD400 for 6-7 years. I think a BD 330 with the new limbs may very well be the best overall Excalibur ever made when all is considered.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Reactions: Rblrbl0505

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the replies. I finally got out to the range today.

As I was getting ready, I discovered that I lost the factory arrows and cocking rope before even shooting it. I went to the one local archery store and thankfully was able to get some Excalibur pro flights and also picked up some NAP killzone 2 blade mechanical broadheads. I had bought an Excal charger ext crank previously, and brought it with me to the range.

Went to range to sight it in. First shot was 10 inches off center at 10 yards!! Tried to dial it in and realized that the scope was not properly mounted.

I remounted scope at the range and it shot much better. After a few bolts I got it pretty well centered. My Deadzone scope has the crosshairs and the 4 triangles below. I just set it at 330 and it was pretty accurate out to 40 yards (longest I attempted). I didn’t have any rest or bench, so I just shot from sitting position resting elbows on my knees. I was able to get minute of tennis ball at 40 yards. I’m not sure what kind of accuracy and precision I’m supposed to get, but I was plenty satisfied. Next time I’ll bring some kind of rest to dial in my scope even more.

After that, I decided to try and shoot a few with my broadheads. The range has a big styrofoam block that they specifically state is for broad heads. My first shot was a 3-4 inches high at 30 yards. It was a bear trying to get it out, because the bolt was almost entirely buried. I eventually did, and decided to move back to 40 yards to slow it down a bit. Well this time the bolt was completely buried and lost. So I stopped at that point and called it a day.

I did have a few small issues. The factory rings seem poor, and I would like to replace them. I’d love to hear if anybody has any suggestions. Nothing special, just better than the factory set. I also wonder how I’m supposed to sight in the broad head if it will just get buried in the styrofoam. Should I buy one of those archery target blocks?

Also, at the archery store I asked for 18 inch bolts and he specifically said he had some and brought them out. He knew the bd 330 uses 18 inch bolts. It was very busy so I bought them and left. But tonight, after shooting, I noticed that they were actually micro 16.5 inch bolts. I was a bit annoyed, but they seemed to shoot well enough. I am definitely going back and see about exchanging these bolts, but I was curious if there are any issues with shooting micro bolts in this matrix crossbow.

Anyway, I’m very happy with my BD 330, and also glad to hear that it is a good model with good limbs etc. I can see why these excals are so popular. While I was waiting in line at the archery shop, the owner was talking to another customer and saying how he had to do so many repairs on all sorts of compound crossbows. But almost never the Excaliburs!

·
2,901 Posts
Can’t see any reason to shoot 16.5” out of the BD 330. Could be fun trying to load a broadhead. IME, It’s easier in general to get longer arrows to shoot broadheads well. Shorter arrows seem to need a lot of weight up front. You will have to get your own target for broadheads. As you found out, it’s a bad idea to shoot into a big styrofoam block. I like my Rinehart 18-1, but there are many BH targets that would work for the 330. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Sounds like you have a few kinks to work out. Rings, the ones on the bow should be good enough. It's a crossbow not a 300WM. But if you have to change them, a set of Weaver 1 inch rings will work ok. Not too expensive.
Get some blue loctite and apply to all of the screws on the bow.
You'll need a bow stringer at some point to maintain your brace height.
If there's no bench at your range, a set of shooting sticks will be a help to steady up your bow.
Good luck with the new bow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you have a few kinks to work out. Rings, the ones on the bow should be good enough. It's a crossbow not a 300WM. But if you have to change them, a set of Weaver 1 inch rings will work ok. Not too expensive.
Get some blue loctite and apply to all of the screws on the bow.
You'll need a bow stringer at some point to maintain your brace height.
If there's no bench at your range, a set of shooting sticks will be a help to steady up your bow.
Good luck with the new bow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey,
congratz on purchase of BD330
I recommend you read topic about my BD330 experience, It may solve issue for you in future:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is there that much of a downside to shooting 16.5 instead of 18? I ask only because it will take weeks to get 18 inch bolts. I shot quite well yesterday with 16.5 and would like to keep practicing while I wait. Also, I bought a 6 pack and they are used now so I’m gonna have to keep them anyway. But if it causes damage then of course I wouldn’t want to use them. If weight is an issue perhaps I can get a heavier field point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mostly a safety concern, as long as when you go to decock the bow, your boot in the stirrup would push the arrow out of the way instead of leave it on top of your foot, should you forget to remove the arrow.

Congrats, as Steve mentioned above, you've just picked up the best all around bow Excal has ever made .

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nice bow! Congrats!

Reactions: Inspector98
1 - 19 of 19 Posts