Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God bless everyone. I am a new Field Staff Shooter for Darton Archery here in the great state of Colorado. Will be getting a Darton Toxin 150 for a long distance target shoting crossbow, and a Colorado legal hunting crossbow. Will be getting a HHA Optimizer Speed Dial and already have Vortex Razor AMG UH-1 Holographic red dot 1X sight for it. In the future will also need to get a compound bow, for targett shooting. As Darton is a Archery company and will also need to represent that part of this great company too. the Toxin 125 would fit me better but powerstroke is not long enough to be legal in Colorado.

In the future will be getting a second target shooting crossbow for ASA IBO competition. Of the crossbows that are available today will likely be a Toxin 100 with a pro package. It will be the easiest crossbow to fire under the ASA IBO speed limits. Pro package comes equipedwith the best scope. The Toxin 100 would only be for competing as the powerstroke and scope are both illegal in Colorado for hunting. The Toxin 100 will have the same fit as the Toxin 125.

The compound bow will have to work with a retailer and get measured for to find out witch of the compound bows will be the best for me. Many of the things that make the Darton Toxin crossbows so great did come from the development of the Darton compound bows.

Chosing Darton was a little difficult. Because at first there did not seem to be anything that was very special about them from any other company that was selling crossbows. But a lott of people that are very respected in the business will keep using the name of the company. Then started to look through the threads in Crossbow Nation, and Archery Talk and everything started to point to Darton for making really high quality and greattperforming crossbows. Then reached out to Archery School of the Rockies and to Darton. Found both places very helpful and friendly. Now I am very happy to become part of this team. Looking very forward to working with Darton, Archery School of the Rockies in Colorado Springs, and Red Roocks Archery in Grand Junction. Hopefully many new retailers of Darton in Colorado.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I figured you already were, by the recent posts.
They got a good supporter in you.

·
2,721 Posts
Congrats, Darton is a great company to be associated with... Ted Harpham is also a good guy, in fact a friend of mine that I have known for along time.... Glad to hear Laura is back in the office to.....

Mike

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you.

Did not become field staff shooter for Darton until I posted this thread. Until then I was just doing myresearch in looking to get a good crossbow. To be honest Darton was not even a thought in my mind until David mentioned it while we were talking about the Scoorpyd DeathStalker in that it also has a railess design. David does not even have Dartons on his web sight and talked so positively about the Darton. Took a look at the web sight and did not really see anything to move me yet. Just made the Question of Darton a little larger. Then Sew laid on me the big pitch of the SWAT. When I looked at the SWAT my very first impression was that is a modified Darton. Just had some "I do not know questions of the loading mechanisim" Then did a bing serch for reviews, and all the reviews were positive, not just because they all found several good things to say about the crossbow. This just kept leading me closer to chose Darton. What really sold me on Darton is the correct crossbow for me is when I read the entire Darton brand here, and on Archery Talk, both vertical and crossbow sections. Went well beyond the Toxin models. Then went back to the web sight. Called Archery School of the Rockies, and Called Darton. It was not until Ttalking with Ted that being field staff shooter was even mentioned.

You have too remember my desires were to find a quality crossbow, did not want another box store special. Found that I already like the sport, but now need something that will allow me to develop skills and progress in the sport. In Colorado that means making a purchase without being able to handle or shoot the croossbow first. A lot of research. When I first started it was most likely a Horton Storm that was to be my choice. But in doing all this research I found a real gem with Darton

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
230 Posts
Good for you Lazarus now you just need to work on Darton to put up some contingency money for us Darton shooters at the ASA shoots congrats again John

·
Registered
12,809 Posts
Congrats. Sounds like you gonna be plenty busy!;):)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Congrats Lazarus!! Thought I saw someplace where you mentioned several CO requirements for Hunting with crossbow including; 1.) 14” minimum power stroke. 2.) 1x max on optics essentially meaning no scopes. 3.) Anyone with a disability that has a permit to hunt during the regular archery season with a crossbow must be hunting with someone who isn’t handicapped. This would essentially say me as a hunter would always have to be in the presence of someone who is also hunting with a vertical bow. Can you tell me where I can find the law relative to item # 3 noted above along with all the specific rules/laws of someone licensed to hunt with a crossbow who is handicapped in CO?? Thanks Much!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry did not see the alert to your question.

First an update on point 1. The 14" is now to be made to read in the law as from the knock point to the riser on a traditional design crossbow. The Powerstroke on a reverse draw crossbow.

This is the new reading and writing of point 3, F on the request for exemption.

F. Hunters with permits must be accompanied by another person when necessary to ensure that the wildlife taken is retrieved and properly prepared for human consumption. Such person may dispatch wounded wildlife when so authorized as a condition of the permit.

They added "when necessary" to this point. Now making it vague as to whether you need a hunter with you. They also removed tthe requirement of the person with you to not require an exemption.

The idea was for there to be a second person present to track, and kill wounded animals and to make sure it is retrieved and removed for slaughter.

The state also supports permits for ATV and use of supports from ATV for hunting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts