Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I bought my first crossbow yesterday!! Centerpoint dagger 390. I was after a sniper but they were out so I splurged and got the next one up. Shot I a few times and I can tell already it's gonna need a trigger job, if one is available. I sent the email to TX_RDXguy already

The goal with this bow is for me and my boy o get out and do some hunting together, and he's not quite big enough yet (8yrs old) to fire a rifle or shotgun really so this is a good starting point.

Planning on some spring turkey hunting but having never hunted with a crossbow the internet is turning my brain to mush. I was thinking carbon express piledrivers and rage broadheads. Whats everyone's thoughts on that setup? Or a better setup? Gonna be deer hunting too but got more time l figure that out. Thanks everyone.

Carl Hutchison

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
For a "first time" xbow, you picked a nice one. The Dagger is one of CenterPoints second generation of affordable quality products and I will tip my hat to CenterPoint for getting MOST of the setup right. ;)

The adjustability is good and it's performance will be great. The side mount quiver is nice, the soft touch surfaces are great and the "whisper" bits are nice add-0ns.

A 425-450 gn arrow will be flying over 350 fps which is very fast so the 390 is a nice step up from the 370 and will do anything you need it to with a well placed arrow..

Keep shooting off a bench, then a tripod and then a rail if you can. Your son will get comfortable doing that and he can repeat it from a blind or stand.

You might start thinking about an optic upgrade that will give you "speed compensation". It's important so you can tune it to fit your arrow and bow combo. I would suggest looking the Ravin "take-off" as a good choice and one that is very affordable at $80 from Dave at Wyvern.

https://www.wyverncreations.com/takeoff-scopes-c-122_161/ravin-crossbow-scope-p-1082.html

Arrows and broadheads are very important so buy right.

- Look for a 20", .001 carbon shaft that fit's your budget. Get one setup that works and practice and hunt with just those arrows. I shoot TenPoints EVO-X arrows which are a bit pricey but they work for everything (deer, hogs, bear, turkey, etc.).
- Broadhead choice should be one that works regardless of brand. Find one that flies like a fieldpoint so you don't have to change your scope setup when you screw on a broadhead. I prefer 3 blade mechanicals vs 2 and have had great luck with Grim Reaper 100 gn, Razortips, that are XBow rated and 1 and 1/2" diameter cut.

And we can improve that trigger..... ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's really reassuring to hear it's a decent one. I actually was looking at that website with the used scopes earlier. Also looked at those arrows too lol! The broadheads I have been looking at the mechanical that fly like a field point, and all come with same weight field tips. I have a shooting stick/tripod in my Amazon cart that is kind of a U shape up top with foldable feet on the bottom. I figured that would work really well for him in the turkey blind or even at the house. We got a target somewhere around here I bought for his little recurve but I bought a regular bag so it should be fine for this I would think. If not add that to the ever growing list too. As soon as I get some of this stuff figured out I will be getting with you on the trigger job, I know I could get used to it as is but im getting to the age where I don't like to do things twice. Thank you so much for all of your help!!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
That's really reassuring to hear it's a decent one. I actually was looking at that website with the used scopes earlier. Also looked at those arrows too lol! The broadheads I have been looking at the mechanical that fly like a field point, and all come with same weight field tips. I have a shooting stick/tripod in my Amazon cart that is kind of a U shape up top with foldable feet on the bottom. I figured that would work really well for him in the turkey blind or even at the house. We got a target somewhere around here I bought for his little recurve but I bought a regular bag so it should be fine for this I would think. If not add that to the ever growing list too. As soon as I get some of this stuff figured out I will be getting with you on the trigger job, I know I could get used to it as is but im getting to the age where I don't like to do things twice. Thank you so much for all of your help!!

You're on the right track and the mentality of doing it once is wise.

I use a Primos Trigger Stick and it works well. A tripod like the Caldwell Field Pod is even better if you have room for it in your blind. The recurve target won't work unless it rated for crossbows. Arrows will pass through these standard targets and you will ruin arrows. $$$$$

There is a 600 fps bag target that's getting good reviews. Look into it. The Hurrican H6300 Strom II and it's $32 shipped. Seems way to cheap ;)

Reactions: XbowRob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've learned my lessons the hard way lol!

I will have to look in to that bag, I'm sure this one isn't rated for crossbows.

Can't remember the brand of "sticks" I had seen. I will definitely look at the others. Size isn't an issue yet as I intend to get a new blind too, mine is really old and takes about an hour to setup, and lack all the modern luxuries

·
Registered
9 Posts
Carl,
Welcome to crossbow hunting and welcome to the forum. I purchased a Dagger 390 a couple of months ago. I had TX_RDXguy do a trigger job on it almost immediately. It made a world of difference. He took the majority of all that excessive creep out and brought the pull down to 3.5 lbs. from the 8 lbs. that trigger had from the factory. As has been mentioned a speed compensating scope will make life easier ( I like my Hawke XB-1 SR). South Shore Archery is a real good source for arrows. They can build you some sweet spine indexed Black Eagle arrows. These forums are the best source for crossbow info. This is a really civil place to ask your questions. These guys and gals have helped me quite a lot with info. Greg

·
Registered
15,574 Posts
I can see now that you and your boy will have a lot of fun with crossbows. Congrats on the new bow and welcome to the boards. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So just picked up that hurricane 2 for 19.99 at Dunham's! Not sure how long the sale goes but they gave the smaller one at 19.99 and the bigger was 35. Couldn't pass up a deal like that!

·
Registered
I have a CenterPoint Tormentor Whisper 380
373 Posts
I have the Centerpoint Tormentor 380. Piledriver arrows work great in it also BloodSport Witness arrows also do. I have the 20" and 22" arrows. Trying to decide which ones I like best. The broadheads to me depend on if I am hunting out of a blind and shooting through mesh(Fixed Broadheads) or out of a stand and then I use either fixed or mechanical broad heads. This is what I use and it works for me but you need to try and see what works for you. I also do not shoot at anything further than 30 yards away from me. I am comfortable but still think I need more practice to shoot out to 40 yards, but that will be my max distance, for me.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Congrats on the bow.You made a good choice.Piles Drivers didn't shoot good for me but I'm pretty picky about my arrows:rolleyes:. Black Eagle Executioners,Black Eagle Zombie Slayers and Bloodsport Witness arrows are the best I've shot off the shelf as far as carbon arrows go and are affordable. >.003 straightness will shoot fine imo. They shoot better than a lot of others that cost a lot more. I'm not a big Rage fan but have used them with success. I prefer Swhacker Broad heads. They allow me to practice with the head I hunt with by taping them closed for practice without dulling the blades. Their also cheaper with no worries of pre-deployment. They have worked great for me with over 10 white tail kills.

Here are a couple of video's I made. Both using arrows I made using the Bloodsport Witness shafts. Shot with my Sniper 370 at 30 yards. One with field points the other with Swhacker 100gn 2"cut broad heads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah it's for 6 bolts! I bought 2 boxes. Found out when I got to the car (yes my bow is in the car ) that my factory arrows are 20" instead of 22". Is that a deal breaker? Debating on going back and buying them all lol!!

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you have access to a arrow saw you could cut them down to 20" and buy and install new inserts and still come out ahead but if you have to pay someone to do it its not that great a deal because you can buy them on amazon for $29.99 for 6 with free Amazon Prime shipping if you are a member. 22" arrow will not fly and perform right with a bow requiring 20" bolts-arrows.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.