Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Tenpoint Stealth NXT and I'm pleased with the thing. Regarding broadheads I'm already learning lessons. It seems that with mechanicals made for crossbows, the ones I tried have really tight springs to keep them closed in flight, but on impact, they do not seem to fully open until somewhere inside the deer. I'll next try the Tenpoint EVOs and see how they perform. I've looked at videos of testing done, and most seem to rate the Ravin Steel up top. Which mechanicals do you use that work out of your crossbow as they do/did from a compound?????

My first opinion is based on a perfect double lung shot at 28 yards and the deer went way too far before piling up. It was too dark to closely examine the deer, but the exit was massive and much larger than the entrance.

·
Registered
Tenpoint Siege, Ripper 415, Vortex,
878 Posts
A lot of the guys on here like the swat xp mags. This is my first year hunting with a crossbow so not much help from me.

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
1,510 Posts
I'm trying the Swat Juggernaut Ti broadheads this season. In my testing they have opened perfectly every time. Go to their website and check em out. Shoot them an Email and ask em what they would reccomend. Scott is usually very quick to reply.
Take care
Oncebitten

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Lots of choices. Most work. Nap spitfires are very accurate. Only starting using them since getting a crossbow but bloodtrails looked like a crime scene.

·
Registered
Baltimore, MD - Ten Point Viper S400
821 Posts
I admit to being a frugal sportsmen. I buy good quality equipment and try not buy, what may be, too much for what I do - kill deer! I shoot Shwacker and I have yet to have one fail in any category. I will switch them up them up with Rage Extremes (I think that's what the are). Both in 125 grain and both shoot the same out of my TP Viper. I can typically get the Shwackers at about $35 for 3. If they didn't perform well, I wouldn't use them! A lot of deer have not recovered from a Shwacker! Most well known broadheads will perform and kill but, similar to a shotgun, you should find the ones your setup really likes. You will get a lot of "personal preferences". I found that if someone kills a deer - they have the BEST broadheads. If someone loses a deer - they need to find a better broadhead! Good luck & have fun!

·
1,704 Posts
True all razor blades that sever t enough arteries and blood vessels will end an animal's life...I am on the side of fixed blades, even though I used mechanical s for years..I prefer the "Less can go wrong" Fixed,,because believe me,,alot can go Wrong sometimes...Slick Tricks are a great pic,,I have moved to Magnus Ser Razors,,,Shoot good,,can resharpen many times,,
Tough blades,,,,and do great damage inside a deer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Grim reaper! I was a fixed blade guy for years and i just got sick of weak blood trails. Got turned onto grim reaper razorcuts and have been very impressed. Id be trying the swat xmag if i didnt have 4 xbows loaded up with reapers

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sounds like you are wanting a full width entry wound. Most rear opening heads will give you this. Or, of course fixed blades. I have shot more deer than I care to mention with all types of broadheads, I have had deer travel up to 125 yards with big mechs thru both lungs, also had them only go a few yards with smaller heads. I wouldn’t base my decision on how far a deer travels after a good shot. It will ALWAYS vary no matter what head you use.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used to love slick trick mags but just didnt get the blood trails i would have liked and they started turning into one and done broadheads too

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm trying the Swat Juggernaut Ti broadheads this season. In my testing they have opened perfectly every time. Go to their website and check em out. Shoot them an Email and ask em what they would reccomend. Scott is usually very quick to reply.
Take care
Oncebitten
I watched the video on these. Incredible technology! I dont understand the idea that the second set of blades opening in a void after impact. Crazy what they've engineered though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Grim reaper! I was a fixed blade guy for years and i just got sick of weak blood trails. Got turned onto grim reaper razorcuts and have been very impressed. Id be trying the swat xmag if i didnt have 4 xbows loaded up with reapers
Me too on the grim reapers. When I started out, arrow assembly involved a pencil sharpener and 2 part epoxy with Fred Bear broadheads that resembled an elongated straight razor! Hard to believe what they've engineered. I shot Grim Reapers out of several compound bows at less than 300 fps, and I had great success many times. I tried them right after they came out . So understand that I'm a big Grim Reaper fan. The head I used on this first crossbow kill was the made for crossbow newest grim reaper 3 blade. The entrance hole was pretty small but looked like all 3 blades were partially opening. The near side lung had a small hole and the farside lung had a larger cut. It was center mass of the lungs. The exit hole was massive. So I imagine that the head fully deployed somewhere inside the cavity. I did not have the light or time to really look deeper into the internal stuff, but I was a bit disappointed. I love their products so much I do not plan to write these off but I think I'll wait (if I can) for a slightly quartering away shot so the bolt rips through more 'stuff' on the way out. This deer was pretty much a text book broadside. These designers are incredible! My Stealth NXT is probably shooting somewhere around 400 fps with a pretty massive power stroke so the idea that a mechanical stays closed through that explosion, then pops open on impact, is some incredible achievement. I'm amazed at this stuff.

I'll shoot these Tenpoint rear deploying mechanicals next, just to get a comparison on the entrance holes. If I decide to go back to fixed, I know the G5 products flew perfect out of any paper tuned compound I owned. Hoyt was easiest to set up. They make a 4 blade crossbow fixed head that gets great ratings. Their stuff flew great even out of finnicky compounds that weren't easy for me to tune like Matthews. But even in the Matthews Ovation they hit like target tips so I imagine they mastered the same for crossbows. Fun , trying all this new stuff. Putting some energy back in my game !

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
True all razor blades that sever t enough arteries and blood vessels will end an animal's life...I am on the side of fixed blades, even though I used mechanical s for years..I prefer the "Less can go wrong" Fixed,,because believe me,,alot can go Wrong sometimes...Slick Tricks are a great pic,,I have moved to Magnus Ser Razors,,,Shoot good,,can resharpen many times,,
Tough blades,,,,and do great damage inside a deer.
I loved the Magnus fixed blades too! I used them in my Hoyt that was super easy to tune. One year I sent a few of them back and they shipped me replacements free ! They really do stand behind that replacement warranty. Great company !

I had to add this. Using the bigger magnus stinger ( I think) , I was also trying a super helical fletching with feathers. I tried all sorts of combinations. Those arrows whistled something horrible on the way!! Deafening whistle noise. It was cool to hear but not what you want sending an arrow at a deer. :unsure:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like you are wanting a full width entry wound. Most rear opening heads will give you this. Or, of course fixed blades. I have shot more deer than I care to mention with all types of broadheads, I have had deer travel up to 125 yards with big mechs thru both lungs, also had them only go a few yards with smaller heads. I wouldn’t base my decision on how far a deer travels after a good shot. It will ALWAYS vary no matter what head you use.
I haven't had that experience with center mass double lung hits. What I have experienced that's equally perplexing is heart shots where they get in that death run and sprint until they run out of blood. Those hits left me scratching my head a few times. They ran some crazy distances . I agree about the variable results especially if they are spooked when hit. Thanks, I'm trying rear deploying next.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I love the accuracy of the Sevr! I love the blood trail and performance of the Grim Reaper! Really wish I could put the two of them together. This year I am trying the Seat moab. So far it has the accuracy of the sevr and really hoping for the performance of the grim reaper.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I love the accuracy of the Sevr! I love the blood trail and performance of the Grim Reaper! Really wish I could put the two of them together. This year I am trying the Seat moab. So far it has the accuracy of the sevr and really hoping for the performance of the grim reaper.
So what landed you on the Swat moab instead of the Swat xmag?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I called and talked to Scott at Swat Broadheads, he was the one to recommend the MOAB. I am see tremendous reviews of the xmag though, and has be second guessing.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I bought a Tenpoint Stealth NXT and I'm pleased with the thing. Regarding broadheads I'm already learning lessons. It seems that with mechanicals made for crossbows, the ones I tried have really tight springs to keep them closed in flight, but on impact, they do not seem to fully open until somewhere inside the deer. I'll next try the Tenpoint EVOs and see how they perform. I've looked at videos of testing done, and most seem to rate the Ravin Steel up top. Which mechanicals do you use that work out of your crossbow as they do/did from a compound?????

My first opinion is based on a perfect double lung shot at 28 yards and the deer went way too far before piling up. It was too dark to closely examine the deer, but the exit was massive and much larger than the entrance.
Have used the WASP Jak-Hammer for decades -- field point accuracy and have never failed to open on impact.

Just took this one last week -- shot him at 18 -- went 20 yards and fell over.

Horns

Smile Head Plant Hunting Vertebrate

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have used the WASP Jak-Hammer for decades -- field point accuracy and have never failed to open on impact.

Just took this one last week -- shot him at 18 -- went 20 yards and fell over.

Horns
Congratulations! I've never shot a nontypical deer other than odd point counts. Great rack for sure. Super interesting bone arrangement!!!!!

Could you tell me what speed your bow shoots? Just ballpark is good...350, 375, 400 ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts