Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
How do you measure limb flex?
I thought there was 2 methods:

- securing one end and hanging a specific weight at the other end and measure the amount of deflection

- securing one end and continue to add weight to the other end until it reaches a predetermined deflection amount

I think the 1st one is used more but not 100% positive.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
How do you measure limb flex?
I was hoping someone would ask ,LOL.
Simple , cock your bow and measure the ATA ,write it down .
Then take and press the bow and take off string and cables , let it out of the press and measure what is called the static ATA ( no string and cables ).
Then take the static measurement and minus the cocked measurement and you will get a number somewhere around 10.25 to 11.5 depending on model and year , this is the total limb flex .
Comparing between the 2 bows , now that i know where the cam timing is on the 420 , i could tell you without taking the limbs off that they may be using the same limb's on both bows , the 420 might have more total limb flex and is timed way hotter than the 380 .
what can i say , i find this stuff interesting ,LOL.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I thought there was 2 methods:

- securing one end and hanging a specific weight at the other end and measure the amount of deflection

- securing one end and continue to add weight to the other end until it reaches a predetermined deflection amount

I think the 1st one is used more but not 100% positive.
You are talking about deflection .
A deflection tester is actually a scale that pulls the limb to the manufacturers total limb flex that they feel is the limit of the limb .
Pounds at the determined distance , is deflection .
Lets just say a 200# limb is measured at 6 inches of pull by the scale .
If that limb is used on a bow and it is only flexing 5.5 inches it is only using 180 # of the limbs full capacity .
The farther the limb flexes the more the # stack up .

21 - 24 of 24 Posts