Crossbow Nation banner

New Excalibur MagAir👍🏻

55K views 680 replies 77 participants last post by  Moon 
#1 ·
It’s Excalibur’s MAGAIR👍🏻. Check it out!!
Super light weight and priced right. I think they will sell like hot cakes. I’ll probably have one soon😊.

#172 ·
i would agree with taking this new bow and releasing a 300 f.p.s model or even 280 model but with all carbon fiber stock and riser too and lets put the new trigger in it. Price it up out of the plastic toy market and you would have big seller for them.
Forget all about speed and go after super light weight rope coking only model.
There so little left to do with recurves this would sure open new doors for them.
This current bow could be the pilot model for them.

#180 ·
No, I’m going to handle it, take notes , take a few photos, see if he will let me TRY to cock it and shoot it at least once. Then I’ll take a few days to think about it and compare it to my little shortened Micro Runt. I may buy a MagAir but we shall see😊.

#181 ·
The more I hang around this forum the more I find my eyes doing this🙄. I know, I know🥴, but my heart is still into conventional archery, certainly not that “faster is always better” stuff. Been around a long time and have repeatedly proven to myself that I can successfully put deer on the ground with what some consider slow, old and outdated archery equipment and I can certainly have more fun with it without the fear of blown up or damaged equipment. I’ve never been more convinced of that than recently with current trends in crossbows. My hats off to Excalibur for the intro of the MagAir, a reasonably priced, small, lightweight, easy to maintain crossbow that should last for years and not require a doctorate to maintain😆. JMO and it “ain’t” changing.

#183 ·
Hasn't Excalibur always offered an affordable entry level crossbow?

I only ask out of ignorance. My interest in crossbows is still sort of new.

I've cocked & shot the Mag 340 in an archery shop last spring. Very nice crossbow for the money!

I was in Cabela's a couple weeks ago, & they still had a few GRZ 2 in stock. Compared to the Mag 340 models in stock, I would pick the Mag 340.

I don't see how the MagAir is so drastically different than the entry level GRZ 2 of last year?

Am I missing something? Is there something about MagAir that makes it drastically different than last year's entry crossbow?

Personally, I thought the Bulldog 330 had excellent reviews when I started looking into crossbows. I sort of wish it was still available.

#186 ·
Is there an internal rule at Excalibur that they can only produce recurve crossbows?

I respect the fact that they are innovating, but when looking at the twinstrike, and now the Mag Air, I do begin to question what their long-term goals are. What are they innovating towards? It's becoming clear to me that there is only so much that can be done with that recurve technology.

Maybe it is time for Excal to expand their horizons a bit if they want to remain competitive in this market.

Just my thoughts.

#187 ·
Is there an internal rule at Excalibur that they can only produce recurve crossbows?

I respect the fact that they are innovating, but when looking at the twinstrike, and now the Mag Air, I do begin to question what their long-term goals are. What are they innovating towards? It's becoming clear to me that there is only so much that can be done with that recurve technology.

Maybe it is time for Excal to expand their horizons a bit if they want to remain competitive in this market.

Just my thoughts.
Some guys value the simplicity of a recurve crossbow. In that respect, companies like Ravin & Ten Point can't compete.
Personally, I admire anyone who takes a deer with a traditional longbow.

#188 ·
It always boils down to what you like, with a dose of what you need. I have always liked the curves. My favorite is the bulldog 360 I have, and likely will always keep. But I hunt the mission 400 much more. Because I just like it, not that I think it kills any better or is more accurate.

What makes some of us, that has a Turkey gun that will put 170 pellets in a 10" circle at 60 yrs. Spend time trying to get a cylinder bore 28. Gauge black powder rifle/shotgun to get 100 pellets in that circle at 20 yrs.

Some guys like every advantage.
Some guys like more challenge.
Some guys just like new stuff.
Some guys just like to tinker.
And some like all of the above.

There don't have to be a good reason other than I like it.

#192 ·
OK, I shot the MagAir at the sporting goods store. It is loud at the shot but I’ve shot louder. It is feather light compared to my old original first generation shortened Micro that I will never part with. I was amazed at how the Mag is identical in length to my modified Micro.
Even with the supplied scope and quiver loaded with arrows mounted, it’s still lighter in weight than my stripped Micro!!!
The stock’s design on the Mag is certainly different with the multitude of indentations to minimize weight but those little holes make ideal places to stick your bubblegum😆. That crossbow set up with a tiny red dot sight and minus the quiver and arrows would be unbelievably light in weight.
The trigger wasn’t bad at all for a $540 crossbow.
The Mag isn’t equipped with string stops either. IMO, the little bow doesn’t even need them. Yes, it’s a stripped down super light weight little crossbow that I’d highly recommend to first time crossbow buyers that are not overly concerned about speed and want to stay away from more complicated versions that require additional maintenance.
You can visit Excalibur’s site to get exact specifics on the MagAir and other products for comparison.

BTW, please read Boo’s last post above. He hits the nail on the head.👍🏻

#195 ·
OK, I shot the MagAir at the sporting goods store. It is loud at the shot but I’ve shot louder. It is feather light compared to my old original first generation shortened Micro that I will never part with. I was amazed at how the Mag is identical in length to my modified Micro.
Even with the supplied scope and quiver loaded with arrows mounted, it’s still lighter in weight than my stripped Micro!!!
The stock’s design on the Mag is certainly different with the multitude of indentations to minimize weight but those little holes make ideal places to stick your bubblegum😆. That crossbow set up with a tiny red dot sight and minus the quiver and arrows would be unbelievably light in weight.
The trigger wasn’t bad at all for a $540 crossbow.
The Mag isn’t equipped with string stops either. IMO, the little bow doesn’t even need them. Yes, it’s a stripped down super light weight little crossbow that I’d highly recommend to first time crossbow buyers that are not overly concerned about speed and want to stay away from more complicated versions that require additional maintenance.
You can visit Excalibur’s site to get exact specifics on the MagAir and other products for comparison.
Because of the weather and sloppy snow, I haven't shot mine at any targets yet but I keep on picking it up and marvel at its weight and weight distribution. I would have thought that with the polymer stock that the bow would feel more nose heavy but it doesn't because it uses the Mag riser which is lighter. Without a scope, the balance point is about 1/3rd from the front.

#203 ·
I would be more interested the Matrix G340 ($550*) and GRZ2 ($500*) offered last year versus the new MagAir this year. The MagAir looks like a really cheap crossbow, & I would not have said that about last year's models.

* using Borkholder Archery's pricing

If a cheap looking, lightweight crossbow is all you want, the MagAir does fit that bill. Low speed & loud should equal a cheap crossbow. At lower speeds, I value quiet even more! That's why compound bow hunters value a quiet bow, too!

I have nothing against Excalibur offering an affordable recurve crossbow. I appreciate affordable, quality products.

As he started talking about the MagAir, I think he had to hold back his laughter a bit.

I think the Mag 340 is a great hunting package, but I value quiet more than being lightweight.

#208 ·
I put a 30 strand Force 10 Flemish string on, Hushpucks on the underside of the forearm finger guard, 125 gr field tip on a Quill and Bowjax string silencers on and the noise is acceptable to my ears. It chronos at 291 (I’m wearing my hearing aids). I may add some more something to the stock but I’m pretty happy right now.