Crossbow Nation banner

New member- from JAX FLORIDA

793 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  DSLiner 
#1 ·
Hey folks. Johnny here. This is my first post.
I've been bow hunting for 30 years. Due to a shoulder injury I went to a crossbow 5 years ago. I shoot a Barnett bone collector with 20" bolts and 125 grain heads. It works so I have not tried changing anything.
Today I will be receiving a Killer instinct boss 405 I purchased for my girlfriend. It comes with three 20" 380 grain hyper light bolts and 100 grain heads. I'd like to go ahead and switch to something heavier for a quieter shot (this is for hunting) and to lesson the stress on the bow. What brand, weight bolt and point would ya'll recommend? Also what broad heads do ya'll like?

#2 ·
John... Welcome to the Nation! Pleased to award you your first "Like".😁 There are about as many answers to your questions as there are members of the forum. Here are a few. One consideration would be that fixed-blade BH on light weight arrows probably are not going to fly as consistently out of a 400+ fps xbow as they did out of your 250(?) fps vertical. A 9 to 11 grain/inch carbon arrow will give you the weight and stiffness you need to handle the force from high poundage limbs. Next, what are you hunting? Turkey, coyote, hogs, whitetail, pronghorn, bear, elk, or moose? What BH were effective with your vertical? Mechanicals will probably work with the xbow, while fixed blades may get "squirrely" on you. A combination of nock, vane, insert, and BH that gets the FOC above 19% will likely be an effective combination.

Just one man's setup: Black Eagle Zombie Slayers at 19.25", Launchpad lighted nocks, Ethics Archery 200 gr SS inserts, and Ramcat 1.5" 125 gr BH with FOC 25%+ at 275 fps. I just hunt deer.

Good luck with the new bow. Let's see some photos in the "Success" thread come November.😁

#5 ·
Welcome Johnny!!

The best crossbow arrows available (my opinion) come from just southwest of your location. Tapp Nation Archery in Tampa. Call Eric or Jerry and they will answer your questions and not over sell your application or needs.

Reactions: John from jax
#7 ·
Thanks folks for the warm welcomes and great information. I hunt mostly deer and hogs. I spent most of last season teaching my girlfriend, who is new to hunting,the ropes. She did real good for a newbie but didn't get an opportunity to close the deal. Hopefully this season will be different. I know she will love the crossbow.

#10 ·
Welcome to the boards. :)

#11 ·
Welcome to the Nation

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.