Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joining the nation from Texas. Been hunting the past two years strictly archery (compound/crossbow) and have been hooked! Look forward to learning from everyone and maybe sharing some of my own experiences, we kill a ton of critters down here including hogs year round. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
138 Posts
Have some of you Texas guys that come to Iowa to hunt Iowa corn fed deer every year for the shotgun season. I would love to get in on a hog hunt with a crossbow. Good luck with your hunting.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Joining the nation from Texas. Been hunting the past two years strictly archery (compound/crossbow) and have been hooked! Look forward to learning from everyone and maybe sharing some of my own experiences, we kill a ton of critters down here including hogs year round. Thanks in advance
Welcome to the CBN BG! Like you, we’re all big fans of bow hunting with crossbows. I’m in north central Texas and enjoy deer and hog hunting, especially night hog hunting.

Good luck this season!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the CBN BG! Like you, we’re all big fans of bow hunting with crossbows. I’m in north central Texas and enjoy deer and hog hunting, especially night hog hunting.

Good luck this season!
Thanks! Got a freezer queen last weekend so I’m off to a good start. I’m hunting out near college station. Plenty of pigs and deer out there. Good to see a fellow Texan on here

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have some of you Texas guys that come to Iowa to hunt Iowa corn fed deer every year for the shotgun season. I would love to get in on a hog hunt with a crossbow. Good luck with your hunting.
There’s plenty of them swine down here that’s for sure!

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
I'm up north by Lake Texoma and we have too many pigs. Shoot 20 and there 30 more little guys by the time you do that with a bow. I'll admit that I do like the fact they add an open hunting season to the year.

Here's some very short videos if you care to watch.

Link To YouTube Hunting Videos

A doe went down for me last week as well. Freezer material.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm up north by Lake Texoma and we have too many pigs. Shoot 20 and there 30 more little guys by the time you do that with a bow. I'll admit that I do like the fact they add an open hunting season to the year.

Here's some very short videos if you care to watch.

Link To YouTube Hunting Videos

A doe went down for me last week as well. Freezer material.

View attachment 187454

View attachment 187455
Nice doe! I like that Q- tip video. Good stuff right there. I almost gave this boar the same

Attachments

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Good job on that hog!

Honestly after hunting and seeing pigs in the wild, they are not bad animals. They can be pretty smart in fact. Sadly they just don't have any predators outside of humans to keep their wild population in check.

I'm going to try more head shots on hogs this year to help keep the recovery distance to a minimum. Jan. through March should be good time to thin them them out a bit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good job on that hog!

Honestly after hunting and seeing pigs in the wild, they are not bad animals. They can be pretty smart in fact. Sadly they just don't have any predators outside of humans to keep their wild population in check.

I'm going to try more head shots on hogs this year to help keep the recovery distance to a minimum. Jan. through March should be good time to thin them them out a bit.
They are very smart. After deer season it’s pig season for me. We have to or they get out of control. I’ve noticed something different this year. A lot of big boars and not many sows. We’ve killed 5 mature boars over 150 lbs in the past two months

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Good for you but I bet those sows are around. The boar to sow ration that I see up here is at least 3-1 and from the game camera pics I get, the mix looks pretty normal. My lease is pretty small or I'd hunt them intentionally most of the time. They won't get a free pass if they walk by my deer stand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s usually what I see as well 3 to 1. I think our neighbor is trapping them and the smarter mature boars are not falling for it. Just a theory since we don’t talk to the neighbors much out there

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thanks! Got a freezer queen last weekend so I’m off to a good start. I’m hunting out near college station. Plenty of pigs and deer out there. Good to see a fellow Texan on here
My son lives in College Station. Is there any public land around or just leases?

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
Welcome to the boards. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts