Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most already know we have a guide service. We do bow fishing as well with our 22 foot Xpress bow fishing boat. At the hunting awards banquet, we met with John Higgett, who operates what was named Hunt of a Lifetime, recently renamed TEXAS CH.I.L.D. Seems when they granted wishes to kids out of state, the parents where demanding too much and wanted the insurance companies of the ranches to send them all the specific information on what was covered and not for the children, and got to sound like there were alot of sue happy parents not being grateful for the wish to be granted. It's an organization that takes terminally ill children on a hunt or fishing trip of a lifetime on a donation basis. Some, like us, donate hunting and fishing adventures, and others donate money for expenses like travel, taxidermy, food and lodging, etc. The kids are always accompanied by the parent and a representative of the organization or two or three.
Last night we took two 10 year old boys out on the lake and we had so much fun! When we pulled into the gas station to meet them, they ran to the truck before I could get out and both were talking 100 mph. "Are you Miss Wendy? Where's the bows we're gonna shoot? Can we ride with you? I love your truck, etc." They were also all over that boat while we were fueling up the generators, looking at every area of the boat and asking lots of questions. Very busy boys.
They shot a whole lot, but didn't get any big fish in the boat. They hit a few, so I pulled out my bow at the boys request, and I played back up shot. Funny thing. They wanted me to run the trolling motor because they liked my driving better than Butchs, and they wanted me to shoot with them.
Boys are that way. They want to hang with me, and the girls want to hang with Butch. Butch and I had lots of laughs at the boys expenses. They were just too cute! Seems they also watched all my bow fishing videos on youtube before there arrival.
I missed a really big fish, one of the boys had hit, but the arrow didn't have enough power to penetrate the 20 lb fish well. I shot under! Argh! It was really exciting for them to experience this though. Of course, I'm yelling and hollering to get the whale a gator making it way more lively of a fishing trip.
I would let them shoot at the fish first, then if the fish was still around, I'd shoot at it. I shot a Carp they missed so they we happy as I let them pull the fish to the boat and land it while it thrashed and fought. Lots of High fives. At least they had a fish to take pictures with when the party was over. They said Bow Fishing is now there favorite sport! I bet they didn't quit talking till they passed out since we didn't get off the lake until 3 AM. There new names for youtube are Big Dog and Mack Dog, though they didn't give me any harvests shots, I'll do something with the tape to make them something up to watch. They are 30 days apart from being the same age.
If you have the ability to help terminally ill kids outdoors, please do. It is so rewarding! I think this program is very good for everyone involved.

Attachments

·
665 Posts
awesome

Great Job

1 - 2 of 2 Posts