Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new R10 last month and just got my spynal taps from SSA.
Very nice bolts and shoot great. I weighed them and they came in at 445gr.
I was wondering a couple things.
Is this too heavy of a bolt? I dont plan to shoot over 50 yards.
I need to chrono it but with 400gr it was just under 410fps, calculations show I should be around 390 with the 445gr.
Another thing I noticed, the scope goes to 425fps but at full power (5) the speed dial stops at around 415 which seems odd, anyone else noticed this?
Whats the best way to quiet the R10 down a bit?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quiet these xbows down with some limb dampeners. I actually use two on each side in my r29x, doesn't drop the fps that significantly, and unfortunately doesn't drop the dB's much either, but it does take out a lot of the higher frequencies. I've also heard the GAS pulley cable system can quiet them some, but all modern xbows are going to make quite a bit of noise, there's simply too much force being transferred.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Congrats on the new xbow.
IMO, 445gr. is not too much for the R10 and your guesstimate of 390fps sounds about right.
I would not hesitate to use 445gr with our R26.

About the scope, will have to try what you are doing.
We set our speed dial to 400 (measured between 400 and 403 fps) after using the chrono and have not touched it since.

These Ravins are truly tack drivers.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I do know that a heaver arrow will produce less decibels on a vertical bow than a lighter one will. So I would imagine the same is true for crossbows, somewhat. But it also seems that no matter what one does with today's crossbows, they are going to be a lot louder than a vertical bow even if they are shooting similar arrows at similar speeds. I had a hard time getting pass the loudness of my "other brand" crossbow when I first got it, because of the additional noise it produced compared to my vertical bows. And it's rated at 360fps. Two of my fav verticals are rated at 343-347 IBO. I'm shooting a 390gr arrow through those two verticals for hunting and 3D, at 58lb on one, and 62lbs on the other. I've shot a weight to poundage ratio arrow (to meet IBO specs through math) through both, through my chrony. And they came out very very close in the math to IBO specs (maybe off 3fps). And the "other brand" crossbow is shooting a 380gr arrow at 175lbs with a rating of 360 fps. Through my corny I got 330fps (and was highly disappointed). And it was still much louder than the IBO ratio shaft I was shooting through the vertical bows. I believe it's the stored energy in the shorter limbs being released all at one time that is causing much more noise in a crossbow. Trad bows produce very little noise most of the time. And they shoot really heavy arrows at much slower speeds. And usually slightly less poundage for the average trad shooter.
The longer limbs being able to distribute the energy across more surface area may have something to do with longer limbs being more quiet as well.

Hope that's not to confusing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts