Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
11,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 125 lb draw weight that shoots around 310 fps would be cool:) and offer the crank cocking system as an option......................and finally a QUIVER mounting system.

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
:D Well?????????

·
11,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm

definitely..................................................................dreaming:D

Maybe they'll listen :)

·
1,223 Posts
Old...

Impossible?

Why is that?
Sounds pretty doable to me! Especially since no one has given any specs. on the proposed length!

Mike

·
1,223 Posts
Old....so as to your expert opinion...why not?!

You've stated this twice and so far have given no reason!

Just a personal preference....or do you know some deep dark secret that we all should know?

Mike

·
1,525 Posts
Mike
Never said I was an expert. It is just that making the bow shorter and in all probability, making the power stroke shorter, I cannot see speeds over 300fps with 425 gr arrow with only 125#. It would be great if they could though.

Moon may be on to something though. Th DS is over 37" long with a 15" power stroke. That leaves 22" of length that does not contribute to performance. Seems like a waste of material not to mention excessive added weight.

·
1,223 Posts
Old -

Thank you...so it "may" be possible.

There are many things that can be done to keep up the string speed while shortening the overal length...without dropping the arrow speed too much.

In its "first iteration"....the Horton reCon has come very close.
Maybe a new cam, maybe a slightly different limb angle, maybe one more inch of power stroke....who knows. Only experimentation will tell.

Unfortunatly..many designers fall into using the same box of goodies that they used to design their last wiget.
To get better...they need to open up a new box and see what's inside!
I see this constantly where I work.....and I'f I'm not mistaken....the designers at Bowtech used up most of one box...with a little from another....already opened box.
Not that combining box's is a bad thing mind you..!

Maybe for their next design...it will "again" be a bow of new, but this time, more user friendly design.

Mike

·
1,525 Posts
Mike
I agree that most mfg's, pull ideas out of the same old box. They need to grab that new box and go from there. I met a guy at a show many many years ago that had ideas that were definitely out of the normal box of thinking and wondered why no one took the guy's ideas. Who knows where archery would be today. Especially with all the talent and computer software that's out there and in place at these bow companys. I guess that same ole, same ole is easier.

·
11,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Manufacturers

that produce basically really good and innovative crossbows tend to have a propensity to not pay attention to us crossbow fanatics that shoot every day of our lives. As a result they get the basic design nailed down pretty good but the little things they neglect, which could have made the crossbows lot's more user friendly and practical, could be the result of a certain degree of arrogance. What other reason would there be for them not to listen to logical suggestions for improving their products? As an example, I'd guess that more than half of crossbow hunters would choose to have a quiver mounted in a logical location on the bow but you'll notice there is no provision for mounting a quiver on the Desert Stryker. Also, IMO, their cocking device can definitely stand simplification. All the little things add up.

As to a shorter/lighter version of the DS, I think it makes sense, even at the loss of some speed. 300 fps is plenty for hunting most game animals.

Attachments

·
1,525 Posts
Moon
You hit the nail right on the head. Quite a few mfgs hit the nail on the point. I agree about the arrogance. I feel that it can also be the "Not invented here" syndrome. May be a pride issue.

·
1,223 Posts
I also agree.

I am a Test Engineer by profession. I design fixtures for testing parts. Some to failure...most to their design limits. I also write the instructions for others to complete said tests. And sometimes...I actually go out and complete these tests myself.

Now...heaven forbid that I get in the way of the Tooling Design group and suggest that they try this or that, a different way.

Don't get me wrong...there are some (mostly older guys!) that are willing to talk.
Get someone a year or two out of school...boy...look out if one of us old guys suggests something that wasn't noted in their school books as something to try!
And...dare I say...the women are the worst! At least where I am.

And so it seems....the "older" guys (at least where I am) actually TRY to do some of their thinking outside the normal methods....and it's the "new" kids that have to follow the OLD IDEAS written in their collage books and can't seem to actually grasp mixing ideas or having two or three people mix ideas to come up with a single good idea!

Yea...I do agree, it's a pride issue with many poeple.

I'm glad I've only got a few more years in the working group and then most likely a few years more to worry about such petty crap as what kind of bow to shoot...or what makes up the best drag race car manufacturer...or even (I've seen internet) fights about what digital SLR camera is the "best"!

Mike

·
11,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've determined

that I can make a DS 2" shorter:) Well..............my local machinest can. I may decide to get a second one and make my own "Woodland Stryker".............a black one. It will be interesting to see what I'll end up with as to speed and draw weight. I'll bet the Bowtech guys can already tell me:D First, the cams will roll over less so there won't be as much let off and it will be less efficient for sure but it'll be fun. It could also be an expensive mistake:D

Disclaimer: I in no way recommmend or suggest anyone modify or change the geometry or design of their crossbow that will void their factory warranty plus possibly cause serious bodily injury.

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
Moonkryket said:
that I can make a DS 2" shorter:) Well..............my local machinest can. I may decide to get a second one and make my own "Woodland Stryker".............a black one. It will be interesting to see what I'll end up with as to speed and draw weight. I'll bet the Bowtech guys can already tell me:D First, the cams will roll over less so there won't be as much let off and it will be less efficient for sure but it'll be fun. It could also be an expensive mistake:D
[/COLOR]
Could shorten the string. Depending on how much you cut off you might be able to just twist it. That is if you have an approved press. :mad:

I used to do quite a bit on modding back in my compound days. I did a lot of one cam conversions. Buy a Mathews cam and wheel and make strings & cables. One time I took a Jennings bow and one cam converted it. Next year guess what came out? Same bow I was modding in a one cam version. I don't think they saw mine just it was a logical step and they did it too. You can do a lot in the performance end playing around with different parts. Xbows you have way less room to play.

·
11,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are 2 bowhunters in my area

with Hoyt compounds with High Country hatchet cams...............they bought from me years ago:D

·
1,223 Posts
Sorta like Big says.

You can play with the string....AND "cable" length to help the cams come closer to the right rotation for the original designe let-off poundage.

A higher load might effect the trigger also. Make sure it can withstand the higher load. I was messen a little myself a while back. It ended up that the extra load in the trigger mechanism, made everything "bounce" (if you will) hard enough to go to it's "released" position...hit the stop hard enough and bounce to the "ready to shoot" position again! Had to rotate the lock (string holder!) to be able to cock it. Messed with a bit...put it all back to the OEM design.

And...or...as you say...a cam change is also possible.

Let us know what happens if you go for it.

Mike

·
11,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don' think I'll shorten the cables

to achieve the factory designed cam total rollover with a 2" shorter power stroke. I'd rather leave the cables and string stock, resulting in a higher draw weight at full draw which will also leave the cams in factory stock rest position.

I'm not worried about the change in trigger/sear engagement due to heavier holding weight on the DS. They come from the factory with trigger pull heavier than I like anyway. I'll start off with the factory trigger but will likely do my thing on it once I'm satisfied with the crossbow otherwise.

I know this will be a risky endeavor but it'll be fun (if I do it).

Again, I do not recommend anyone cut up or change critical dimensions of their crossbow unless they understand and are willing to accept the possible consequences which could be quite negative.................or worse (disastrous).

·
10 Posts
Moon that would so cool to see. Good luck. I have always wished a shorter version of one of these compact limbs xbows would be made. As a hunter myself I think that would be awsome. I would be happy with anything that shot from 250fps to 300fps for hunting. Small, light, accurate!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts