Crossbow Nation banner

New target

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Gray Fox 
#1 ·
Was in Walmart today and picked up a new target. It is a block type target for broad heads and field points. It's labeled for compounds and crossbows. It's a big target from Buckmasters $34.00 out the door. Super price and made in the USA.
There were only 2 left on the shelf. They are going fast!
I'll give a review on it this weekend but I fear if I wait that long and it's a good review there won't be any left on the shelves for others to buy.

#2 ·
I just couldn't wait till the weekend. I shot for about an hour today. Both field points and broad heads. We used a Horton Super Mag, Horton Hunter, Horton EXP. Arrows were all Horton brand in aluminum and carbon. We used mechanical and fixed blade broad heads as well as field points.

Over all the the target did a fine job of stopping the arrows on these older slower bows. I don't think any of the setups we used were shooting over 280FPS. Arrows were sinking to within 3 inches of the fletchings. I just knew I was going to have to grab my rubber jar opener to get a grip on the arrows to pull them out. Much to my surprise the arrows were snug but slid out with ease. Not a single arrow of either material glued in like on my previous target. The arrows were pulling out clean with no target debris on them.

Overall the target did a fine job and looks like it will last a while. There are lots of markings to shoot at. For less than $35 it's not a bad buy at all. The size of it alone was a major selling point for me. Now the arrow removal is another. If you are shopping for a cheap target keep an eye out for the Buckmasters BM-360. Walmart is the only place I have seen them so far.

#4 ·
I just use hogs for targets. They're free. Can't get them at Walmart though, but close to that area.:D

#5 ·
GG,

fwiw, i wouldn't think that bringing HOGS into the house for target practice would be a good plan.
if nothing else you'll have to contend with cleaning the red stuff off the rug.

also, here in surburban VA (where i have an apartment & it's very few weeks till WT season opens = YEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAAAAAAA. ) there are FEW feral hogs to shoot.

there are, however, about 4 - 6 times as many deer as they environment can support over the winter & NO "bag limit" other than "don't waste meat", according to County Animal Control!!

SEP is COMING & SOON!!!!

yours, tn46

#6 ·
texasnative46 said:
GG,

fwiw, i wouldn't think that bringing HOGS into the house for target practice would be a good plan.
if nothing else you'll have to contend with cleaning the red stuff off the rug.

yours, tn46
Your kidding, right? Target practice IN the house? Now, I don't mind dead animals in the house as I decorate with dead stuff, but target practice?
Really?

#9 ·
Me and the boys shot many many arrows at the BM-360 yesterday. It's holding up great! $34.00 well spent in my opinion.

#10 ·
I picked up the same target a week ago. Shooting field tips at the side with the deer torso on it I have to use the rubber jar opener for both 2219s and the Carbon Express bolts. On the broadhead sides, my Thunderhead 125s or my 150 grain Woodsmans start pulling the blue colored guts out of the target after 3 or 4 shots into a spot. With the 150s the 20" bolts go in to the fletching at 40 yards.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to buy a sheet of that 1" pink insulation ethafoam at Home Depot and cut and laminate it into a 2'x2' in order to sight in the Vari Zone scope that's arriving tomorrow for my Excal Phoenix.

I also shoot recurves and long bows and really enjoy shooting some with them and my Excal every day, so my targets take a beating. I have to shoot at my veritcal bow bags targets with blunts on my crossbow bolts or they just blow right through them. Time to make some new bag targets, I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.