Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the rinehart broadhead buck and a yellow jacket 450 pillow target on the way. One been needing new targets for awhile now. Should be good for a while.

Reactions: Lever Action

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same to you
I'm excited

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I really need both . I shoot a lot and dont want to wear out my 3d target with broadheads. So my plan is to practice practice practice with the bag then when I'm ready to sight in for real use the rinehart. I gotta keep it hid for when others come over. Hey can I shoot the ass? What? Sure give me $225. Cringe. How about a head shot. NOOOO. Cringe again f***.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Team T&A: not to discourage you, but when your Morrell 450 bag target comes, lay it on a flat surface and press very hard all over. What you are checking for is soft spots that are not properly filled. I bought two of these being they were advertised at supposedly capable of stopping an arrow at 450 fps. I had a gift card and they were discounted at the time as well.

Target number one did not have enough fill on the left side when shooting the dart board side. I could physically compress that side by 4 inches. The center area was very solid. I gave it to my son and grand son with instructions to only shoot it with a vertical bow.

Target number two only received two shots on the dart board side near the center. The arrows went to the vane. This target will not be shot with a crossbow either.

I contacted Morrell, where upon they requested pictures. They replied that they were sorry that I had received a poor quality target. Contacting the dealer where I purchased the target, the young fellow said he shot them all the time with a vertical bow. There is a big difference in power between a vertical bow and a crossbow.

I have the Morrell 400 which has hundreds of shots on all 4 sides, many with the crossbow shooting close distances due to shooting a lot in my shop. The 400 turned out to be a much higher quality than the 450's, possibly due to a different manufacture for the inside packing. The cover of the 450 is very high quality and my label showed made in Guatamala.

The other problem with these targets being due to the thickness, after a bit of shooting, they bulge where a 20" arrow can be fully trapped in side.
All the best.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Arghhh.
Thanks for the heads up. If it cant handle the xbow I'll use it for my compound
I'll sit on it when it arrives ha. Hoping the rinehart pans out.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have an old yellow jacket. Even at 40 yds my bolts are blowing through. Screwing up everything ripping vanes off. So pissed. Its gotta be better than this crap. Hard to sight in with this bs going on . Rinehart might be here today. Thank God as I really need to put field points away and get down to business. Tired of struggling with blow throughs. There was a company years ago Morrell. They made one called the eternity target. Again that was a long time ago. Good bag target.

Reactions: RobertBonner

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Received the broadhead buck. Um yeah. Definitely thin bodied. Field points penetrated about half way. Broadhead a bit more but it only gets worse. Um I didn't realize I bought a blemished one. The details on the exposed vitals side are not painted. The head is heavy and the neck looks like a fn hieyna. The antlers dont press into the skull
It is a skull cap with a tiny ass magnet in the skull cap and nothing on the head to secure to
Wtf am I suppose to do with that? Seriously? Now imho the replaceable vital area should be smaller making the back and surrounding body thicker. Whatever
It was sent with plastic tubes sticking through the body and into the vitals. I imagine that was for shipping
Who knows. I removed them as I didn't want a broadhead sticking one of those
What else. They listed it at 100 lbs. NO WAY
Maybe SIMULATES a 100lb deer. And the kicker $225. Can someone please direct me to the real 3d targets
This is ridiculous. I asked the seller (Ebay) if they sold better targets . He said to get a bag target. Hands washed
Jesus H Christ. What is this world coming to ? Ok so I am shooting a crossbow now but gimme a break

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
After reading Post #9, I went to Ebay to view some of the targets and read some of the reviews. Pretty sad looking targets as to representing actual deer. Some of the 3D targets shown are to represent deer from the over seas countries, but with out physically seeing their live deer, pretty hard to compare to real life.
My opinion is, none of the 3D targets will stand up to crossbow shooting and especially when shooting broad heads. Broad heads cut foam targets up pretty fast. The 3D targets are designed for vertical bows.
Better 3D targets made several years ago were the McKenzie and Rhinehart. I would not have shot those with a crossbow either.
All the best.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well now is the time for someone to make a ton of money. 3d deer targets rated for CROSSBOWS with a real warranty. Lets go people.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My Invader has been fine with the broadhead buck; like you said about halfway in with field points but I don't shoot broadheads at it. Have a broadhead only block for that

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I got tired of spending money on targets. I shoot field points at my Spyder Web target. I put my Blob right behind it for when I hit a spot that is shot out. It prevents blow threws. I only use Blob for broadhead. I got a deal on 4 bag targets that were priced wrong that work well on field points as long as l stomp them good every now and then. The Morrell Super Duper. Priced wrong at $16 so I took all 4 they had.
20180825_070157.jpg

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wowwww. That's awesome. I guess I need to invest in a good block target next. The 3d deer target industry has gone to shi*

Reactions: whitetailzombie

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Wowwww. That's awesome. I guess I need to invest in a good block target next. The 3d deer target industry has gone to shi*
I would not count on block targets either. I have rebuilt several, adding tougher material and packing much tighter. First this greatly increases the weight. Going thicker is not the answer. Any target over 18" (example the Morrell 400 or 450 feet per second, field point only), after a bit of shooting, the target bulges and one can have a 20" arrow fully trapped in it. I would suggest 12" to 14" thick at the maximum. Some crossbows now are coming out with 18" arrows.

After quite a bit of testing different brands and some of the same brand but a different series, I find many of the targets are advertised well over the speed that they will actually work. Some targets would have to be set out at 40, 50 and possibly 60 yards.
Some targets have the replaceable cylinder cores for either field point or broad head are a poor design (American Whitetail). The bag core insert can be rotated. The failure here is: the out side foam shell is poor quality, only used to support the core. As an example, if one stood a pop can up right, the thickest part is the center.

Some block targets (The Block) with the recessed hand hole are excellent to carry. It is advertised with a hard center nucleus, supposedly good for field point or broad head. Where these fail is the 1 1/2" to 2" outside area is poor quality foam that breaks up very easily and has no resistance. Going to the hand hold area, one loses approximately 2" due to that recess. To help re enforce this target, I put approximately 2 1/2" hard foam flat target, ratchet strapped to the front to help prevent the foam chunks from coming out when removing broad heads.
The hard center makes it very hard to remove a broad head.

The Morrell 21 High Roller is shoot able on 6 sides and is very lite to carry with their rope. My suggestion on this one is use one for field point and a second for broad head. I took approximately 24 shots at various spots and sides with broad heads. I then shot up to 50 shots with field points, again at different spots and sides. The field points ended up pushing out the tapered spagettie shaped sections that the broad heads cut up. I did not use the Toxic broad heads as they do make spagettie. Most of the shots got stopped shooting up to 50 yards, but some the vanes were buried, others could be any depth of penetration. Shooting some that had quite a bit of pass through, the arrow could easily be pulled on through. Of the targets I have tested, 20 to 24, this is the easiest target to remove an arrow from, no matter what depth or pulling from the front or the back.

One can select a target and go to you tube. Pay attention to: 1)what bow or crossbow is being used, 2) the distance from the shooter to the target, 3)how much arrow shaft that has not entered the target. The greater the distance, the lower the draw weight, results in less arrow shaft in the target and the easier the arrow removal.

As a note: 3D targets to my knowledge are not designed to be shot with a crossbow.
All the best.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I priced out the 20" x 20" x 11" blob target with a weight of 70 pounds, shipped any where in the lower 48 states for a total of $135.00 I did not inquire if they would ship to Canada, but if they did it would cost a small fortune due to currency exchange on the target, shipping and import fee. Currency exchange averages 35%.

For a larger Spyder web, I was quoted $55.00 U. S shipping. This is for the ST 24 XL that sells for $209.99 U.S.

A couple of years a go I purchased the American Whitetail that has the inter changeable field point to broad head core. I bought the broad head core as well.
This cost very close to $600.00 time I received it.
All the best.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jesus.
This is highway robbery
Something has to be done. I'll just practice on the real thing .

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Jesus.
This is highway robbery
Something has to be done. I'll just practice on the real thing .
There are a few other targets, I had hoped to test but not at this rate. One was the Spyder Web and another the Matrix. The Matrix cube sections can be changed to different areas. I inquired a couple years a go, and to save shipping costs, the target could be shipped to a location close to the Canadian border but still in the U.S.A. If one was purchasing a quantity of items and made say a monthly pick up, this would work. Being I seldom travel to the U.S.A. and have to purchase a passport and the high fuel costs, it is cheaper to pay shipping or go with out.
All the best.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I would not count on block targets either.

Some block targets (The Block) with the recessed hand hole are excellent to carry. It is advertised with a hard center nucleus, supposedly good for field point or broad head. Where these fail is the 1 1/2" to 2" outside area is poor quality foam that breaks up very easily and has no resistance. Going to the hand hold area, one loses approximately 2" due to that recess. To help re enforce this target, I put approximately 2 1/2" hard foam flat target, ratchet strapped to the front to help prevent the foam chunks from coming out when removing broad heads.
The hard center makes it very hard to remove a broad head.
Can you describe this mod a little more? I have a brand new “Block” waiting for my xb to arrive, so I’d like to know exactly what hard foam material you used to improve it for siting in mechanical broadbeads. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts