Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a crossbow for hunting in Western PA. I have heard a lot of bad reviews from hunters about Horton crossbows. Including poor quality of the product and mainly pointing toward the limbs. I have heard of limb failure happening quite a bit with this name brand. Is this an issue, or was it an issue with older models that has since been resolved. Any comments are appreciated.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Horton as well as other crossbows have had problems over the years There are people who like Hortons, or Barnetts, or Excaliburs or Tenpoints, or Parkers, or BowTech, or PSE's. You are best served by talking to someone who knows all crossbows. The two companies that offer the really good CB's at decent prices with terrific warranty and customer service are Ten Point and Excalibur, at least in my opinion.
You couldn't go wrong with either of them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I keep hearing the same about Ten point and Excalibur. I am leaning toward Barnett and mainly interested in a Revolution AVI. I read the reviews here and think that is the direction I should lean for myself. My father, who is in his 50's, I was looking for something about 150# draw and a little less expensive. That was the interest in Horton. I think that I need to take him to an archery shop and let him decide.

This is a great site and I will visit often. I see a lot of great and useful information being communicated.

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
Not that I'm pulling for you to buy a Horton, but they are a great company and have been building crossbows longer than anybody. They have a lot of mid priced bows that would be great for your father. That being said, the Barnett would be good too. And like DaGriz said, you can't go wrong with a TenPoint or an Excalibur either.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I've shot a few different crossbows, and all in all, the Horton line is the most dependable and reasonably priced bow as far as I'm concerned. I've also shot several models that Horton puts out, and the only problem I had with the limbs was my own doing. I shot it between two trees and the limbs popped the trees. Hence, one of the limbs splintered a little, but it wasn't the quality of the bow, it was my mistake. On a few occasions, me or another hunter (I guide) I was with have dry fired a Horton, and nothing happened which was a surprise. They can handle more abuse than some of the other bows I've played with or that were played with in my presence. I am very hard on equipment.
I was standing next to a guide in Argentina when he dry fired a Barnett Quad 400 and the sucker exploded into splinters. Scared me and him. That's my experience with those two choice bows.
Also, I seem to never have to resight my Hortons, even after the abuse of riding on my ATV in the mountains and rocks, but that same Barnett had to be resighted every time you went to the field. I still have it, but no one wants to hunt with it. The newer line of Barnett may be better. That Predator sure looks fantastic. I haven't shot one in a few years. Since, they have reorganized so the product should have made some positive changes.
Go to the bow shop and shoot a few different Brands and models and see what you like to handle. Take your time. That's what counts is how it feels and shoots in your own opinion.

·
211 Posts
I wouldnt be afraid to buy a horton, both my dad and my brother shoot and like them...

my brother has a summit even and, granted, the visual quality isnt as good as the higher priced bows and it isnt as fancy, but then again its not supposed to be... it shoots and performs great otherwise though, he's shot his alot(so have I) and he's had zero problems so far with it, and you can pick the summit package deal up on ebay for around $220

the only thing that I dont like about hortons is its goofy dial-a-range

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thank you all for the good advise. But I got a great deal on a new Tenpoint Pro Elite package. I still have to figure out what my father wants to get since he also is going to purchase a crossbow this year. I think that he will be a little less willing to spend the kind of money that I did but I will get him want he wants. Thanks again for all your help.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
KLS,
Keep in mind you can always change the scopes out on any bow if you don't like the quality of the scope on the lower end bows. I do that quite often myself.

·
211 Posts
Guide Girl said:
KLS,
Keep in mind you can always change the scopes out on any bow if you don't like the quality of the scope on the lower end bows. I do that quite often myself.

yeah, the scope isnt really the problem though, or the focus of my complaint, my gripe is over the base that its mounted to...
hortons adjustable dail-a-range is IMO a very untrustworthy mounting system and a bad idea in general, and it cripples what is otherwise a very decent crossbow design, some people pin and/or epoxy them solid, and I guess that would be better than nothing but I'd rather see something better right out of the factory

·
329 Posts
darkchylde,

if you will accept advice from an longtime "vertical archer", who now is devoted to CBs,buy yourself a used Horton Yukon SL, 150# crossbow.

there are LOTS around on websites like ebay/craigslist,etc. for 100.oo to 150.oo. (fyi,i paid 95.oo for mine in a private party sale + 40.oo for 20 new/used arrows & some other associated stuff.)

the Yukon, based on my rather limited expierience, is NICE quality for the $$$$ & has plenty of power to shoot clear through a WT or black bear. (Nick Popandopolis, a "since kindergarten buddy" of mine, took TWO blacks over 300# in Canada with his Yukon last year at 28 and 36 long steps, using 100 grain Muzzy broadheads on 20" aluminum Easton arrows. he said both bears ran about 50 yards or less before expiring. both arrows reportedly went in one side of the chest & out the other.)

LATER, if you want something "better"/bigger/more expensive, you won't have trouble re-selling the Yukon SL = i've had at least 5-6 offers to sell it at a profit, by members of our local archery range over the last 90 days.

just my opinion,texasnative46 :cool::)

·
310 Posts
texasnative46 said:
darkchylde,

if you will accept advice from an longtime "vertical archer", who now is devoted to CBs,buy yourself a used Horton Yukon SL, 150# crossbow.

there are LOTS around on websites like ebay/craigslist,etc. for 100.oo to 150.oo. (fyi,i paid 95.oo for mine in a private party sale + 40.oo for 20 new/used arrows & some other associated stuff.)

the Yukon, based on my rather limited expierience, is NICE quality for the $$$$ & has plenty of power to shoot clear through a WT or black bear. (Nick Popandopolis, a "since kindergarten buddy" of mine, took TWO blacks over 300# in Canada with his Yukon last year at 28 and 36 long steps, using 100 grain Muzzy broadheads on 20" aluminum Easton arrows. he said both bears ran about 50 yards or less before expiring. both arrows reportedly went in one side of the chest & out the other.)

LATER, if you want something "better"/bigger/more expensive, you won't have trouble re-selling the Yukon SL = i've had at least 5-6 offers to sell it at a profit, by members of our local archery range over the last 90 days.

just my opinion,texasnative46 :cool::)
Darkchylde,
Texasnative46 has given good advise. You may want to look at a new Tacoma Trac 150. It would be new, with all the same advantages as have been stated.

Thanks,
Hoss

·
175 Posts
I've owned Horton's, Ten Point and Excalibur. I've only owned one Ten Point and that was an early model when they were going by Hunter Mfg., I think. I didn't like it for several reasons and I sold it. I bought a Horton Hunter 150but didn't like the weight or feel of the stock so I ended up selling it too. I really like the Excalibur for it's simplicity and weight but it is a wide limbed crossbow and you will need to adjust for it in the woods. I just ran across a new in the box Horton Max Impact 175 that was discontinued several years ago so I got it for an extremely low price. It is built on the Legend frame and it is really light compared to my last Horton. It also has the molded stock (not scooped out like some of their models or like Ten Points & Excals) and has the ability to extend the stock if need be. It is also one sweet shooting crossbow. I have to agree with most that I do not care for that dial-a-range feature but I keep it on number 2 and it doesn't get in the way of my rope cocker. My son in law has been using a Yukon for about 3 or 4 years and he loves it. He's taken a couple of deer with it and it shoots about as good as my Excalibur.

So I guess like most advice you've gotten, go out a handle a few different models to see what you like. If you've got a pro shop around go check out what is being returned for repairs and that might tell you something about quality in some of the models.

·
Registered
121 Posts
FYI

Urban Legend said:
Not that I'm pulling for you to buy a Horton, but they are a great company and have been building crossbows longer than anybody.
Urban,

Just for the record. Barnett have been making production crossbows longer than Horton. Barnett can back this up with advertising materials from the late 60's.

BXB

·
175 Posts
I have to agree with the Barnett rep on this. My first crossbow was a Barnett crossbow with a wood stock that I bought during the 60's while in High School. I don't remember it having any name emblazened on it but I believe it was called a "Wildcat" even way back then? There was no such thing as an internet back then and I bought it from a "mail order catalog". Whenever I needed parts I had to get them from Barnett or at least get the pro shop to order them from Barnett as there were no other makers nor were there any "after market" items. Since the pro shop was able to make up arrows for conventional bows I was able to get them to make some for me. I don't remember this crossbow being as accurate as all of them are right now but it was fun to shoot and I was the only one in my area who had a crossbow. I believe it is still somewhere in my Dad's garage attic and I think I'll mosey on over there in the next day or so and see if I can find it. My mom has been asking me for some time to help her clean out that old garage and you never know what other goodies from my past I may find. There should be an old original Red Ryder B.B. rifle as well as another Daisy B.B. rifle with target sights that was the official Boy Scout B.B. rifle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts