Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive settled on 3 crosbows Excalibur micro suppressor, Barnett ghost 420, scorpyd aceleus 175lb. My question is which one is the overrall best for longevity, reliability, warranty, customer service, accurate chronograph speeds, accuracy. I would like to here all info that you have trying to make a choice within a couple weeks. I live in leander,tx if anybody has any of the xbows listed forsale letme know thanks

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
For used crossbows, many being near new condition; check the various crossbow forums looking in sections like :market place, classifieds etc. EBay and Amazon are other good locations. Buying used as a rule there will be no warranty.
I can speak for Barnett as I have two of the Barnett Ghost 410 purchased in 2015. Barnett customer service has greatly improved. There have been up grades to the 420 from the 410: Trigger Tech, string stops and a brush retainer. My 410 took a lot of work to build it into the bow it is now. After receiving it poorly assembled with parts missing, poor quality bearings with over size axle holes, poorly built string and cable system I now have a high quality crossbow. The bearings were changed to a one piece bushing with the proper axle hole diameter. This one piece reinforced that axle by providing full length support. The string and cable system were replaced with 60X which once installed, axle to axle set as per the manual, cams leveled and timed, there has been absolutely no stretch fraying or serving separation. Barnett's original cable system was designed with a loop near the stock with the second part looping through it to make a one piece cable. This is where a lot of the stretch came from. The servings were not installed tight enough. The higher the draw weight the stronger the string and cables have to be and the tighter the serving.
Shooting through my Pro Digital Chronograph placed one arrow length in front of the stirrup with the equivalent arrow-point combination of 400 grains, I had this crossbow shooting 422 to 424 feet per second. I backed the cams off a bit and am now shooting 414 to 416 feet per second. The crossbow originally came with 3 each 22" Easton Head Hunter arrows. Recently Barnett has okayed 20" arrows with the minimum arrow-point combination weight of 400 grains. Easton no longer builds the arrows for Barnett. Barnett told me they build their own so the Easton label is no longer on them. The new 20" arrows have a red 1/2 moon nock, which have flat edges 90 degrees to the bow string. These arrows have proven to be very accurate as I do a lot of target shooting. Shooting 20" arrows, one is limited to field point, Toxic Broad heads which I shoot or mechanical broad heads due to the lack of room as compared to using 22" arrows.
For longer life regardless of which crossbow you decide on, keep the string and or cables well lubricated with a light coat on the rail.
So far I have shot this crossbow up to fifty yards with no wind, using the same arrow, my second shot went into the same hole. The crossbow was mounted in a high quality rifle jig with levels installed on the jig and the cross bow. The levels are a quick check to prevent cant or tilt. Using the same arrow and point weight, I have placed my second shot in the same hole as the first shot.
Shooting the same arrow, first with a field point, then swapping out for the Toxic point (same arrow-point weight) at twenty yards I have hit the same hole.
The crossbow comes with a rope cocker which I never used. I went to the Barnett Crank Cocking Device which although slower to cock a bow, is much more accurate.
I have not used the Cross illuminated scope because: some reported scope failure and my opinion, they were not designed for the higher crossbow draw weight (recoil), so why take a chance and damage a lower quality scope. I went to 3x9-32 rifle scopes with a single heavy cross hair, thinner in the center.
Any adjustment (cam timing, cam leveling or axle to axle), string or cable change etc. requires a crossbow press.
A word of advise: try to shoot the bows you are interested in before buying. Holding them in shooting position for a bit longer will indicate whether you enjoy their weight etc.
Doing an internet search for a crossbow you may be interested in, you may be able to download the manual and read it as another indicator whether or not that bow is what you like.
All the best in what ever you decide.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Though I have never bought one from the site, sometime I look on Craigslist and have seen some pretty good deals on crossbow. Just try to be aware of who the seller is and where you go to buy it!

·
Registered
13,341 Posts
I bought my Excal from Ebay at a great deal. It was from an authorized dealer and I now have a lifetime warranty. Even used the Excal is warranted. Good luck in your search and welcome to the boards. :)

·
2,883 Posts
Actually, all 3 are new models this year, or the Barnett is a 2nd year bow. Durability for these models has yet to be established. The Micro Supressor is very compact and Excal has more/less a trasferable warranty if you decide to sell. You take a beating if you buy new and sell anytime soon, so you want to be as sure as you can that you are getting the one you want. My hat's off to bunnyrabbit's skill, but having to rebuild a new bow so it's a good one makes me a little leary of the Barnett. Some guys do really like them though. The Scorpyd just came out weeks ago. It is similar enough to their Orion to guess it will be pretty reliable. Fastest crossbow on planet Earth if that's important. One thing people often forget is that if you have lots of kinetic energy, you are going to work for it when cocking the crossbow. Unless you get a cranking device, no fast bow is going to be easy to cock unless you are a strong individual. My personal opinion is that all crossbows are capable of excellent accuracy. The accuracy potential is mostly in the arrows, and matching the arrow to the crossbow.

·
9,013 Posts
Excalibur ...

Reactions: Blessed man

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Actually some of your picks are nice some are good n some will have you warranty work faster than a cat can. There are some great choices you passed over. Lets Focus on your a new crossbow person. This brand has one of the best track records n lifetime warranty, all USA made, can change string n cables in the field no press needed. Think Mission MXB model, great accuracy, quiet, fairly light n compact. I just sold my MXB320 to buy a Scorpyd DS, or i would still have it

Reactions: Blessed man

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
Of the bows you mentioned the Excal & Scorpyd are the leaders. I personally would not conceder the Barnett. Have you shot/handled the bows in question?

·
Registered
962 Posts
You have narrowed it down to some very nice choices. Out out those three I would go with the Excalibur or Scorpyd. If you are buying used...definitely Excalibur. As the other have said the warranty transfers. Just have to look around for the best prices if you are buying used. I'm in the market for another crossbow myself. Good luck to your sir!

·
Banned
530 Posts
Which xbow did you choose?
I bought a death stalker.
I really wanted a faster bow. But after reading that thread, I thought about everything else I'd have to buy.
I wanted a new platform, the reverse draw was it. I've had an excellent for years. Great bow. I don't need any faster than 380 fps. Then the price of the scorpyd. I've got a little over 1100$ in it. Got everything I need to shoot. That's bow, red dot, arrows and case. I think it's a good deal so far. For me, money was a factor. Don't have 2k to put out.
That's my reasoning anyhow. I was ready to put my list on the wall and throw a dart. Lol.

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
Ive shot shot the ghost 410 and the matrix 405.

Each bow shoots differently! I would suggest you do your best to shoot the bows on your list & keep an open mind on others as well! Shoot EVERYTHING you can get your hands on! Your talking a major investment for a quality bow make sure how it feels in YOUR hands!! Best of luck and try & make the decision with the bow IN your hands not reviews or word of mouth! Keep us updated on your decision!!!

·
Banned
530 Posts
Each bow shoots differently! I would suggest you do your best to shoot the bows on your list & keep an open mind on others as well! Shoot EVERYTHING you can get your hands on! Your talking a major investment for a quality bow make sure how it feels in YOUR hands!! Best of luck and try & make the decision with the bow IN your hands not reviews or word of mouth! Keep us updated on your decision!!!
Excellent advice tim50. I did that. I tried a lot of bows. Center point, Ki, tenpoint, storm, ravin. Cabela's and a few other shops know me by name. Lol.
The one I couldn't find close enough to try was scorpyd. None of the others made me think they where better than my excal. I'm not sure why, they just didnt. The r9 did impress me though. Till I figured what the end cost would be. Ouch, to much.
So I'm taking a leap of faith here, I know it.
Sometimes you just gotta go with your gut.
I'll know next Wednesday, if my gut was right.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will do thanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts