• DeathStalker 420

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I apologize if this isn't the proper place to ask this question)
Hello, I'm still super brand new to crossbows, so I've been doing my reading on which one I should get.
I was recommended Barnett by a friend, and just about pulled the trigger on the Predator 430 (since it's on sale right now for $500 off their website), but then I did my reading and it has me hesitant, because I'm getting mixed results on Barnett as a company and I can't really find user reviews on the crossbow itself outside of Amazon.

So I looked around and narrowed down my choices to a couple different bows from different manufacturers:
Barnett: Predator 430
TenPoint: RDX400, TitanM1/TurboM1
Scorpyd: DeathStalker420

As for what I'm looking for in a bow, price isn't much of an issue for me (you pay for quality after all), but the DS is about at the maximum I'm comfortable spending on a crossbow. I primarily want to target shoot, but I do want a good bow in case I ever do get a chance to go hunting. I also would prefer to have one without a crank, and above all I want to prioritize safety.
I would love to get a hand on these and get a feel for them, but unfortunately of the two places around me that is selling crossbows, one only has the TenPoints but their range is closed, and the other only carries Missions (but I did get a chance to test fire one).

With that knowledge in mind, do you think you all could share your experiences and help steer me in the right direction? I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a look at the Swat XP since it has been mentioned. It looks very nice, but I'm going to sleep on it a bit, until it's been out awhile and as robert mentioned, the price being a bit cheaper as well.

I'm actually a little surprised seeing DeathStalker mentioned so much. I've heard great things about it from the few things I've read but I've come across TenPoint articles more often. I take it the DS is one of those gems that is overshadowed by other brand name popularity?

·
4,682 Posts
Amongst crossbow affendos, Scorpyd is held in high regard. I’m about as tied to the SWAT XP as a person can get; however, my absolutely trouble free 3 years, very enjoyable shooting,etc of the Scorpyd Aculeus 460, you won’t go wrong.
‘The SWAT XP is way underpriced for what it is, both at $899 or $999. That price includes an excellent package scope, a great 5 arrow quiver/3 arrows , lifetime warrenty, a trigger unequaled in the crossbow industry, & both a rope cocker and a crank cocker. It’s only 7.2# and 27” long. 415’/sec +/- with a 400g arrow.
You really need both xbows.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You all have me wanting to get both now! And believe me, I would love to.

But right now I have to lean towards one or the other, economic reasons and all that (the only reason I can justify it right now is it's either this or a rifle scope for a birthday present to myself... I want a crossbow more haha).
Whatever one I don't get I will definitely look forward to getting in the future though!

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Going to be a lot cheaper than that when it hits the market. ;)
However, when will it hit the market? Does anyone know that timeline? I'd say it's a go if it's released.

I'm a Barnett owner and had no serious issues or concerns with my ownership experiences and have owned three of them. I'm just an owner.

Reactions: NuclearCommando

·
Registered
272 Posts
One of my 'pet peeves' is carrying a rope cocker in my pocket while hunting. There is already enough stuff to carry and knowing me, at some point I would cock the bow at the truck & fail to bring the cocker with me.

After owning a bow with the Accu-Draw system - cocking ropes built into the stock.....well that just works for me.

And, shot a buck last fall who had a doe with him (bad shot, didn't get him). But the doe didn't go far. About 4-5 seconds after I got a 2nd arrow loaded, the doe came back & offered a great shot - got her.

If I'd have had to mess with any other way of cocking that bow, that would have been a shot I didn't get to take.

I'm going to have a hard time ever having a bow without Accu-Draw - unless of course there is something else like it out there. If there is, haven't seen it.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
One of my 'pet peeves' is carrying a rope cocker in my pocket while hunting. There is already enough stuff to carry and knowing me, at some point I would cock the bow at the truck & fail to bring the cocker with me.

After owning a bow with the Accu-Draw system - cocking ropes built into the stock.....well that just works for me.

And, shot a buck last fall who had a doe with him (bad shot, didn't get him). But the doe didn't go far. About 4-5 seconds after I got a 2nd arrow loaded, the doe came back & offered a great shot - got her.

If I'd have had to mess with any other way of cocking that bow, that would have been a shot I didn't get to take.

I'm going to have a hard time ever having a bow without Accu-Draw - unless of course there is something else like it out there. If there is, haven't seen it.
respectfully, carrying rope cocker is a non issue for me with my hunting. I carry all my equipment in my fanny pack or back pack. I have a portable CCD now and will handle that the same way.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Any one of the three would be a fine choice. All things being equal, $ will likely dictate your choice in the end. NO Barnett's for me, but some claim to have had luck dealing with them. Operative word being LUCK. I opted for a TenPoint as my first XB for several reasons. Biggest reason was reputation of their customer service. Next reason was the Accuslide System. You are doing the right things in the mean time though. Researching and asking questions is the smart way to go about it. When one tends to be impulsive, they generally wind uo being sorry in the end. Good luck!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just sold my RDX400 and it was a great bow, accurate, fast, quiet and had a great company backing it.

Only sold it as I’ve wanted a Scorpyd for years and finally decided to pull the trigger on. DS420.

Either one will be a wise purchase. Good luck on your decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Respectfully, I can see the reasons behind using a crank like the Accu-Draw. That said, my issue with a crank device is that, well, what do I do if it breaks? For me, I want to stick with a rope for now, both because of said issue, to cut back on price a bit, and because, being young blood here, using a rope shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Any one of the three would be a fine choice. All things being equal, $ will likely dictate your choice in the end. NO Barnett's for me, but some claim to have had luck dealing with them. Operative word being LUCK. I opted for a TenPoint as my first XB for several reasons. Biggest reason was reputation of their customer service. Next reason was the Accuslide System. You are doing the right things in the mean time though. Researching and asking questions is the smart way to go about it. When one tends to be impulsive, they generally wind uo being sorry in the end. Good luck!
Thank you for the luck! I almost did make an impulse decision, until I did a last minute comparison on Barnett vs another and got overwhelming subpar results for the Barnett. The reasons you stated for getting a TenPoint are the reasons why I immediately started re-evaluating my options. It's nice being able to hear everyone's opinions of what's on the table!
Just sold my RDX400 and it was a great bow, accurate, fast, quiet and had a great company backing it.

Only sold it as I’ve wanted a Scorpyd for years and finally decided to pull the trigger on. DS420.

Either one will be a wise purchase. Good luck on your decision!
It's nice to hear that the RDX was such a great bow! You said you wanted the Scorpyd for years, what was your reasoning behind wanting to change?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm looking forward to the SWAT XP myself...could prove to be interesting.
My experiences..Had a Scorpyd Death stalker..nice bow, quiet (for a crossbow), light, balances nicely, good trigger but just didn't quite fit me right. I tried to like it but it wasn't happening. That and lighted nocks, which for me in a hunting scenario is now a must, are super pricey as you pretty much have to use a Firenock version. You should be using Firenock nocks on these bows anyways as recommend, whether they be lighted or not.
Never shot a Barnett..don't have experience with the Wicked Ridge but used to shoot an earlier model Tenpoint Reverse Draw..trigger was terrible.. However, Tenpoint has improved in that arena.
My vote was for the Titan/Turbo M1..
I had a Turbo M1 and it's a great bow, in my opinion. Improved T5 trigger, it's no Scorpyd trigger but it's not bad, quiet, easy to draw, light weight, narrow and manuverable.
In fact, I'll pick up another one when I have the funds. Tenpoint is a good company with excellent customer service, should you ever need it.
Just my thoughts...try and get out to shoot as many bows as possible if you can!
I'm still an Excalibur guy at heart..

·
Registered
866 Posts
overshadowed by other brand name popularity
There is a certain aura with the ownership of a Scorpyd. I bought my first crossbow because of Scorpyd. I own three now.
I suggest to start with a bare bow. Add a scope, grab a couple of arrows, and go for it. Improve the ancillary devices as funds are available. Dave at Wyverns will get you a good deal on the bare bow. You have to start somewhere. I like to think I started where I wanted to end up.

Reactions: NuclearCommando

·
Registered
272 Posts
Actually the Acudraw I was talking about is a rope cocking system - just one you can't loose and is fast & easy to use.

I'll probably use a crank someday - just not yet.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts