Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy my first crossbow to deer hunt with & from what I can tell it seems there are a lot of bolts out there that don't group well. Especially factory bolts. They also seem excessively light. I could use some help. I'm going to buy a lower end crossbow like a KI Boss 405, Hero 380 or something similar. Do I need to buy better bolts than the factory bolts? If I do, or the bow I get doesn't come with them, what should I get?

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I would recommend BloodSport Hunter or Witness arrows. They are extremely accurate out of the box and they are extremely accurate out to 70 yards out of my Xbow. A box of six will cost you $30-$40.

Hunters are 300grain and Witness arrows are 325grain. I personally use the heavier grain arrow. Match up 100 grain or 125 field tips/BH's and you have a 400, 425 or 450 grain arrow setup. I no longer spend my money on custom arrows for a 20-40 yard hunting situation.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I have the Custom Barnett Head Hunters and Carbon Express Pile Drivers. The Carbon Express
20" arrows weigh 450 grain with a 100 grain point. I recently cut some of the Carbon Express down
to make 380 and 400 grain for test purposes and target shooting. The Carbon Express built in Korea
are a much higher quality arrow than the Barnett Custom Head Hunter. China has now copied the
Carbon Express Pile Driver.
Weighing three arrows that were made in China, identical in looks to the Korean arrows, 7 grains
difference from high to low with no points. Made in China or made in Korea is on the arrow label in fine
print. I have not shot the China labelled arrows. These came with a new crossbow.

For broad head set up, I insert the 3 blade Excalibur 100 grain broad head into the insert before I
install the insert into the arrow shaft. This way I am able to align the blade with the cock vane. These
Excalibur broad heads are 1 1/16" diameter so I am able to have the blade right in the arrow groove
of the crossbow. Excalibur 150 grain is also the same 1 1/16" diameter so they will work as well.

This can also be done with some mechanical broad heads, namely Sevr 1.5 and the Spit Fire 3 blade
mechanical. Sevr uses an "O" ring to hold the blades shut. The Spit Fire has a built in locking device.

All the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
October1: if you have not purchased a crossbow yet, take a look at the Rocky Mountain
series that Feredyne Outdoors has on their website. These are rebranded Carbon Express
with a few modifications. Some of the models will accept the crank cocking device that plugs
into the rear of the stock. As one gets near to the last 3 to 4 inches when cocking, these
crossbows have a let off which makes for easier cocking. Carbon Express X Force 390 Pile
Driver had the same design.

A couple of days ago I received the Rocky Mountain 415. It has 215 pound draw weigh limbs
and is advertised to shoot a 380 grain arrow-point combination at 415 feet per second. Out of
the box it shot a 378 grain arrow-point combination at 401 feet per second.

I made up some special arrows for testing that weighed exactly 380 grain. I added shims to remove
the downward bowstring pressure so now viewing from one cam to the other in the uncocked position
the bow string does not hump up as it crosses the rail-stock. In the arrow-latch area I added a layer of
BCY .030 serving over the original for extra protection. Advancing the cams, this crossbow will shoot the
380 grain arrow-point combination at 437 feet per second. I removed one twist from the cables and it is
now tuned to shoot that arrow at 432 feet per second. The more the cams are advanced the harder it
is to cock. I have the crank cocking device from the Carbon Express X Force 390 Pile Driver that fits
into the rear of the stock. I have approximately 50 shots on the crossbow.

The scope is a fixed 4 power with red and green lighting which can be turned off. I do not use the scopes
that come with crossbows as I use rifle scopes for longer range target shooting.

Wishing you all the best with what ever you choose.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would recommend BloodSport Hunter or Witness arrows. They are extremely accurate out of the box and they are extremely accurate out to 70 yards out of my Xbow. A box of six will cost you $30-$40.

Hunters are 300grain and Witness arrows are 325grain. I personally use the heavier grain arrow. Match up 100 grain or 125 field tips/BH's and you have a 400, 425 or 450 grain arrow setup. I no longer spend my money on custom arrows for a 20-40 yard hunting situation.
If your crossbow is sighted in at 20 yds how high or low do you think your arrows hit from zero to 30 yds & what total weight are your arrows? 450 grains? I read somewhere that a 400fps crossbow is only about an inch low at 30yds so I'm curious about the effect of heavier arrows on trajectory.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts