Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for any tips to hunting predator hunting . The only time I have shoot coyotes or bobcat it was just right place right time for me . Now I have a chance at a new place to hunt on if I can get rid of a few of their predators . I am more then willing to do it ,but I don’t know much of anything about it . What kinds of calls work best ? Will the same calls work for both ? Any advice or tips will be Appreciated.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Specialized is our top Coyote killer! This guy is extremely good, and if he sees your post, he just might impart some good words of wisdom. Good Luck!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I have been reading his post already learning stuff . Just from his posts I can tell he has likely forgotten more about this then I will ever know .

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
We cannot night hunt until late archery deer season ends January 13th, but I'm anxious to get out.
You might consider contacting your local trappers association or attending one of the meetings or events. You're bound to make contact with someone to help you in person or possibly even take you out.
February is often when the coyote hunting tournaments are held, they are another place to learn and make contacts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We cannot night hunt until late archery deer season ends January 13th, but I'm anxious to get out.
You might consider contacting your local trappers association or attending one of the meetings or events. You're bound to make contact with someone to help you in person or possibly even take you out.
February is often when the coyote hunting tournaments are held, they are another place to learn and make contacts
Thanks I am not sure if we have these in Oklahoma but I will look into it .

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
[email protected]@gle: Oaklahoma state trappers association.
Also check out, "The Trapper and Predator Caller" magazine,you don't be sorry.
The,magazine comes as a benefit with a membership into some of the trappers organizations, so you may want to check into that before purchasing your own subscription.

Reactions: JohnRoland

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Is it legal to use live bait. A rabbit with string tied to a leg and staked to ground with a injured rabbit call brings coyote in pretty good.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Specialized is our top Coyote killer! This guy is extremely good, and if he sees your post, he just might impart some good words of wisdom. Good Luck!
X2 on Specialized. His hunting recaps are always full of wisdom and techniques that work. Besides that they are just plain fun to read.

If you are new to predator calling, and especially if you are going to be hunting them with a bow I would highly recommend a good electronic call. There are several advantages gained using one. First, the call can be set away from you and when the coyote or bobcat approaches they will not be focused on your position, allowing you to get set up for the shot. The next advantage gained is that you will be paying attention to the approach areas, not busy blowing a call. Last, many times predators do not immediately run in when they hear the call. Some, especially Bobcats, may take 45 minutes to an hour before showing up. Most hunters will give a spot more time when the work of calling is being done for them.

I enjoy tricking predators with a mouth blown call, and have had good success using them, but for the bowhunter or someone new to the sport, a good electronic call is hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Is it legal to use live bait. A rabbit with string tied to a leg and staked to ground with a injured rabbit call brings coyote in pretty good.
Live bait isn't legal in PA

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Never discount anything Specialized has to say about hunting coyotes. Go back through the hunting success thread and read his after action reports on his coyote hunts. Tons of info free for the taking in them.

Good advise from old vet in his post also.

I started with a mouth blown call and had some success but it went up exponentially with an e-caller. I use a fox-pro but there are several other brands that will do the job equally as well. Nice thing about the fox-pro is I can switch from coyotes to ***** to crows with the push of a button. BTW calling ***** is just pure fun and I get a lot more action than I do on coyotes. Interestingly I can call ***** all day long but don't have much success on coyotes except the last hour or so of daylight.

Good luck and when that first yote comes barreling in on a dead run you will be wondering if this predator hunting is such a good idea after all. :D Or the one that comes in from behind and you don't know he's there until you sense something and turn around. And he's sitting there with his tongue hanging out about 15 feet away. Good times. :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have read and reread all of Specialized posts . I am sure the man could teach college courses on Predator hunting . I bought a an electric call and will be looking in the local groups to learn more .Hopefully I can have some success and help save some emus and Lammas . Thanks to all of you for your helpful advice .

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never discount anything Specialized has to say about hunting coyotes. Go back through the hunting success thread and read his after action reports on his coyote hunts. Tons of info free for the taking in them.

Good advise from old vet in his post also.

I started with a mouth blown call and had some success but it went up exponentially with an e-caller. I use a fox-pro but there are several other brands that will do the job equally as well. Nice thing about the fox-pro is I can switch from coyotes to ***** to crows with the push of a button. BTW calling ***** is just pure fun and I get a lot more action than I do on coyotes. Interestingly I can call ***** all day long but don't have much success on coyotes except the last hour or so of daylight.

Good luck and when that first yote comes barreling in on a dead run you will be wondering if this predator hunting is such a good idea after all. :D Or the one that comes in from behind and you don't know he's there until you sense something and turn around. And he's sitting there with his tongue hanging out about 15 feet away. Good times. :)
This is the first time I have heard of calling ***** I always thought they where just hunted with dogs . Learn something new .

·
Registered
922 Posts
This is the first time I have heard of calling ***** I always thought they where just hunted with dogs . Learn something new .
You can call them in at random, but I have had my best success by locating a den tree, then setting up and calling nearby later in the morning. Look for a big Oak or Sycamore or Hackberry that has a broken limb with a hollowed out spot 15 to 30 feet off the ground. Really any larger tree with a hole higher up offers a denning site. Check around it for tracks or other signs of use. Wait a day or so, then slide in there to within 30 yards after they have returned for the morning, I like 8:00 AM or later. Turn on your Woodpecker in distress call and get ready for some fast action. Fun with a crossbow, also some fast and furious shotgun hunting.

Usually, not long after the call starts you will see a head pop out of the den. After that, it is not unusual to have three or more of the little bandits zeroing in on the call. A motion decoy even adds to the frenzy.

Reactions: jac63

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Dennis Kirk was one of the pioneers in **** calling cassette tapes back in the 1980's.

I dont mess with ***** anymmore as that requires a furtakers license in PA and I can hunt coyotes on a general hunting license.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Electronic game callers are a lot like crossbows.
There are a lot of hats in the ring anymore from manufactures and marketing competing for your business, from inexpensive to very expensive. One for everyones taste.
The quantity of diifferent sounds are over emphasized a lot , similar to crossbow speed.
The range of the remote control is comparable to the arrow weight you can shoot.
The volume can be like the quality of the scope that comes in your package.
Then there are all the bells and whistles like the ability to download additional call sounds fron the internet, to play multiple sounds at once or the option of switching to a selectable distress sound at the detection of a gun shot.
These remind me of multiple reticles , lighted reticles and speed compensator dials.

You really only need a minimum quantity of sounds as long as the basic calls for the predator you are seeking is included.

Remote range and volume are relative, unless possibly in the vast expanse of the west; most times the call will be set up within 35-50 yards from the gunner. You dont need 250 yard remote range. Volume can be handy, but truthfully; how loud do you thinks a wounded cottontail in distress or a field mouse is ? You will probably get more close in action than 250 yard shots.

Being waterproof or at least water resistant is a huge bonus, although a plastic bag will protect any of them; as long as the dont contain numerous swithes that need to be manually activated.

Most novices can probably get by with a sub $100 unit to start off with.

Personally, I like "Foxpro"; made in the USA out of Lewistown, PA . It isnt often you get this choice anymore.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Electronic game callers are a lot like crossbows.
There are a lot of hats in the ring anymore from manufactures and marketing competing for your business, from inexpensive to very expensive. One for everyones taste.
The quantity of diifferent sounds are over emphasized a lot , similar to crossbow speed.
The range of the remote control is comparable to the arrow weight you can shoot.
The volume can be like the quality of the scope that comes in your package.
Then there are all the bells and whistles like the ability to download additional call sounds fron the internet, to play multiple sounds at once or the option of switching to a selectable distress sound at the detection of a gun shot.
These remind me of multiple reticles , lighted reticles and speed compensator dials.

You really only need a minimum quantity of sounds as long as the basic calls for the predator you are seeking is included.

Remote range and volume are relative, unless possibly in the vast expanse of the west; most times the call will be set up within 35-50 yards from the gunner. You dont need 250 yard remote range. Volume can be handy, but truthfully; how loud do you thinks a wounded cottontail in distress or a field mouse is ? You will probably get more close in action than 250 yard shots.

Being waterproof or at least water resistant is a huge bonus, although a plastic bag will protect any of them; as long as the dont contain numerous swithes that need to be manually activated.

Most novices can probably get by with a sub $100 unit to start off with.

Personally, I like "Foxpro"; made in the USA out of Lewistown, PA . It isnt often you get this choice anymore.
The one I got was Primos that came with a decoy it was on sale at Walmart I believe for about 50.00. I am sure I will upgrade one day but I the one trail run I had two coyotes come out in about in under an hour . The first one showed up almost immediately I was surprised . They seem to almost come out of nowhere . Much more quite then deer or hogs that I have experience hunting .

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The one I got was Primos that came with a decoy it was on sale at Walmart I believe for about 50.00. I am sure I will upgrade one day but I the one trail run I had two coyotes come out in about in under an hour . The first one showed up almost immediately I was surprised . They seem to almost come out of nowhere . Much more quite then deer or hogs that I have experience hunting .
You will certainly always remember those first few that come in. Youll soon learn they are unprexictablewhat they might do next.

The Primos unit should serve you well. When you're ready you can upgrade and keep this one for a back-up or run two callers at the sametime separated by some distance.

My favorite decoy is a large size brown printed Styrofoam coffee cup from one of our local convenience stores. I turn them upside down and hang them from a thread pushed through the center of the bottom. I spiral about an 18-24" strip by 1" wide imitation fur from the yard goods department, or from a garment at Good Will around the cup from the bottom to the lid; terminating in a 6-12" tail. You can glue the plastic lid on to make it more durable.

Hang it from a tree branch and the slightest breeze should spin it constantly. Try experimenting offsetting the thread attachment point to gain a little wobble.

No batteries required !

·
Registered
14,026 Posts
Years ago I bought a Johnny Walker game caller which requires cassettes. A friend made me a tape of a rabbit squealing because with the factory tape it continuously made noise....which he figured a small animal like a real live rabbit couldn't do. Instead, his dubbed tape would squeal about a minute then silence for 45 seconds or so. Then another squeal and then more silence, etc., all the way thru the tape. I killed a few 'yotes using this tape in the past. After the deer season is over I plan on getting that caller back out of retirement and giving it a try where I have multiple nighttime pictures of coyotes on my food plot all during this past year.

Now I am not a predator hunter but I did hunt crows a lot. I also found out that after learning how to use mouth calls I became MUCH MORE productive killing 'em. I cant help but feel that mouth calls will work 10X's better once you master 'em for coyotes too.;) JMO...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Years ago I bought a Johnny Walker game caller which requires cassettes. A friend made me a tape of a rabbit squealing because with the factory tape it continuously made noise....which he figured a small animal like a real live rabbit couldn't do. Instead, his dubbed tape would squeal about a minute then silence for 45 seconds or so. Then another squeal and then more silence, etc., all the way thru the tape. I killed a few 'yotes using this tape in the past. After the deer season is over I plan on getting that caller back out of retirement and giving it a try where I have multiple nighttime pictures of coyotes on my food plot all during this past year.

Now I am not a predator hunter but I did hunt crows a lot. I also found out that after learning how to use mouth calls I became MUCH MORE productive killing 'em. I cant help but feel that mouth calls will work 10X's better once you master 'em for coyotes too.;) JMO...
I used to use a boom box w/chrome trim and all. We used to throw a burlap sack over it to hide it.

We had good luck with the grey fox pups in distress.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts