Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I’m a 36 year old bow hunter. Previously very successful with a vertical bow but decided to switch to a crossbow this coming year. I had been limiting my shots to under 30 yards with a bow hoping to make better ethical shots. I’ve had a few long nights on track jobs. I’m hoping using a crossbow will allow me to expand my range a bit more. As I get older I feel like I have less time to dedicate to practicing with a bow and at the end of the day I feel like I owe the animal atleast that much to make a clean accurate kill.

look forward to conversing with everyone in the forum.

· Premium Member
RDX 400, Nitro 505 w/Oracle X
429 Posts
Good “bit” reasoning and welcome. Much easier (for most) to hit targets 30+ yards with a crossbow. Usually more energy on impact. Many on this site still stop at 40y while some go beyond. It’s the shooters choice/call, but there’s the same variables outside the arrow regardless of bow.
Regardless, welcome and you’ll find great folks with good advice.

· Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
17,172 Posts
Welcome to the boards.

· Registered
700 Posts
Welcome. Applaud your reasoning. A friend got sick making gut shots and not recovering deer primarily because he just did not have time to practice. Super dad and coach etc etc. my switch was for medical crap, probably in part due to TOO MUCH bow shooting over the years.

My vertical bow limit was 35 yards. Thick woods. Two pins in my sight, 20 and 35. 35 only if the deer were totally relaxed.

With crossbow, going from 275 fps to 370 fps, I still stay 40 and under for distance. At 40 they can still drop a good bit even with 370 fps if they are alert. Up to 40 couple yards , haven’t had any get away that I shot at. But those few shots at 40 were sort of chip shots. Follow through is critical and easy to forget with a crossbow in your shoulder.

Happy hunting

1 - 13 of 13 Posts