Crossbow Nation banner

New weapons system for me

861 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  shootrj2003 
#1 ·
Had a Crosman crossbow for years used it with a homemade sinew string,thought it was a cool idea,and it shot fair,however,deep down never trusted the critter but I kept it for old time sake,non shooter now,metal fatigue in the bow was an idea that bothered me!Just bought a bear saga and interested in really working on them,Always been a gun guy built em,blued em accurized em,this system fastenates me too,what are the best books for technical knowledge on modern crossbows? I am a history buff and fairly familiar with the history,but I see a great deal of " Don't do this" and "leave this to the guys at the pro shops!" well they,like many of you ladies and gentlemen and gunsmiths and Mechanics got their tech knowledge from books and some source and as a fair gunsmith and mediocre mechanic ,I do indeed respect that a little knowledge is dangerous,therefore I seek to learn the ins and outs of crossbow tech.withan eye towards safely doing it.If anyone can point me towards some good technical books it would be great. I have learned already there is a great deal of conflicting info given out here from mouth to mouth encounters,( some from people who are respected professionals in the field with conflicting info from others in the field, )perhaps not truly facts but maybe opinions ?( Professionals should deal in facts right?) Factory manuals are great !Thanks for being here and any help is appreciated,sorry for the long wonder intro!

#8 ·
Yes,it is indeed a Power master,now a footnote in crossbow history,I had at times thought about redesigning it and building it into a safer and more formidable weapon but always had trouble meeting those two goals evenly!So I left it as original except the string which I made from artificial sinew and it worked well,I made bolts from regular arrows that were damaged

#4 ·
Welcome to the boards. :)

#9 ·
I bougjt and shot mine back somewhere in the 1967 to 1969 era. Still have one today but it's just hanging in the barn, likely never to be shot again. The only commercially-made crossbow back then, it was awful. My biggest achievement with it back then was hitting an empty pack of cigarettes at 40 yards from a rest LOL. Times, and thankfully, equipment has changed since then.

Reactions: dynamo61
#10 ·
Yeah,somewhere back then was when I got mine too and as crude as it was though,I could see the potential with it ,if it was made right and it kept the spark alive for a good one in me ,I always thought about finding a bow for it of wood or fiberglas,because the stock was quite perfect for the times . I'm in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.