Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Barnett XP400 a day earlier than expected. Coming from a Barnett Revolution, I was shocked how light and small this xbow is!

Won an eBay auction for $275 with free shipping, and already have a nice Trophy Ridge XV525IR to replace the scope.

Hoping to get the xbow shimmed and assembled tomorrow, and then sighted in this weekend. Looks like I’ll need about 3/32 to drop the string to a hair’s thickness off the rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
That should make a nice xbow/optic combo!

Reactions: TomOnTheRun

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
That should make a nice xbow/optic combo!
You maybe could use one of these.
I tried it by comparing where it pointed in darlness. At about 40 yards it points at my top crosshair which is yard one.
20200727_105456.jpg

Reactions: TX_RDXguy

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
sorry the 20. Yard crosshair

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Okay, now that is a tease and just one more thing I need to add to my war chest of archery jewelry. Who makes it and how much? 😎

Reactions: Spot-on-arrow

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Just got my Barnett XP400 a day earlier than expected. Coming from a Barnett Revolution, I was shocked how light and small this xbow is!

Won an eBay auction for $275 with free shipping, and already have a nice Trophy Ridge XV525IR to replace the scope.

Hoping to get the xbow shimmed and assembled tomorrow, and then sighted in this weekend. Looks like I’ll need about 3/32 to drop the string to a hair’s thickness off the rail.

Score on the bid! Xbow is legit compact and light for sure. Now it's no sub 10" ATA but gotta say it's more compact than folks may realize. It's lighter than my TS370.

You get that string level across the flight rail you gonna shoot arrows quite fast. On two different occasions I have shot 400 grain arrow no less then 403fps, 425grain arrow 392fps. Oh, the adjustable cheek pad is slick too. More underrated than I realized. The simplicity is what makes it a hidden value.

Look forward to your thoughts once you get it all together.

Congrats!

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
You maybe could use one of these.
I tried it by comparing where it pointed in darlness. At about 40 yards it points at my top crosshair which is yard one.
View attachment 182337
They are handy and I've got one. I have a bench vice setup in my shop that I use to hold and work on xbows. I have an X mark on a small piece of painters tape stuck on my wall 9' away and set so I can pretty accurately zero a xbow from that bench vice for 20 yards with the laser.

Tom! SOA is right on. You have to have one of these....

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Okay, now that is a tease and just one more thing I need to add to my war chest of archery jewelry. Who makes it and how much? 😎
Good question!
It's funny I have been using a cartridge laser on my bows. It's not bad but I thought wonder if anyone makes a laser that screws into an crossbow arrow?
They do as I found out by Internet search.
Mine can off the bay.
Cost was about $14. Just search for archery red laser and you find one. A tip never order from a seller from China if you want without delay.
If there is problem let me know.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Good question!
It's funny I have been using a cartridge laser on my bows. It's not bad but I thought wonder if anyone makes a laser that screws into an crossbow arrow?
They do as I found out by Internet search.
Mine can off the bay.
Cost was about $14. Just search for archery red laser and you find one. A tip never order from a seller from China if you want without delay.
If there is problem let me know.
Done, I am all over this. Thank you Gents!

Here is what I have found on Ebay that will screw into the arrow. It's my first find.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
SOA,

Spot on! I just ordered this. You da man!!!!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Ok! I hope you noticed batteries are needed. You can also get those cheap online. I had them because of the cartridge laser.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Duly noted and thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Nice crossbow. Congrats.:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, going to mount my new scope, and I always check to make sure the shooting rail and picatinny rail for the scope rings are 100% parallel.

They are not in this case - it drops probably close to a 3/16” of an inch at the front of the picatinny rail. This whole section the rail mounts to seems to be held by one screw in the rear, which doesn’t really allow the front to be raised.

I assume the best course of action would be to shim the picatinny rail itself in the front where it mounts to the safety selector housing? Any issue with removing that single screw and taking the whole assembly off with regard to safety mechanism?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In addition, when I take out the two screws in the top of the picatinny rail, the rail levels back out, it’s only when the screws are back in and tightened (barely tight to completely tight didn’t make a difference) that the rail goes back out of level.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Why does the flight rail and scope mounting rail need to be parallel front to back? I suggest you try it first because the scope rail being lower in the front may help you. I never worried about that unless the turret limits are meet for elevation.I just make sure the riser assembly is parallel with the flight rail right to left then align the vertical crosshair with true perpendicular object.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why does the flight rail and scope mounting rail need to be parallel front to back? I suggest you try it first because the scope rail being lower in the front may help you. I never worried about that unless the turret limits are meet for elevation.I just make sure the riser assembly is parallel with the flight rail right to left then align the vertical crosshair with true perpendicular object.
I guess it’s been a habit of mine since I had just that happen, ran out of elevation using turret knobs to sight in a couple different scopes on other shotguns, rifles, etc.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Agree with your statement. I sighted in at 20 yards with the Halo scope just to try out my 400XP before I swapped out scopes and I hit bullseyes. I'm not going to worry about this at this time.

All I care about is my scope being level and I'll adjust so the scope hits bullseyes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts