Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy everyone. took first buck in Sept with buddy's Parker. this was my first season out. on here because i made a gut shot from stand as the buck was quartering away and i felt terrible about it. arrow exited behind front leg on other side. buck jumped into brush and after 45 min we tracked him but bumped him. waited about 2 hrs and tried again only to bump him again but this time over a fence onto another person's property. found him next morning in an open field 30 yards from whre he hopped the fence. he must've died right after we bumped him that last time him being collapsed out in the open the way he was.

sorry for the longwinded post, anyway i want my next to be a cleaner, faster kill. i cursed myself after that shot. also, his meat smelled ripe, which semi soured the whole reason why i got into this - i love venison.

i'm a short guy and i need a xbow w short lop. looking at Excalibur's 308 Short Banshee when funds are saved in a few months. i haven't been able to find many other short lop xbows so far - looking at 12-12.5" - that's what i like my HD shotgun, 22, and AR around. would like to stay at or above 300 fps. also like the supposed durability of recurve xbows. anyone have other suggestions?

thanks for anything.

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
If youre planning on staying above the 300 fps you should be looking for something in the 330 fps range because once you upgrade to better arrows the weight of those will put you back around the 300-310 fps range. Welcome to the boards. :)

Reactions: quickill7

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Welcome to the world of crossbows.

You are looking at things the right way. I wont offer brand specific advice as most bows with the specs you are looing at will get the job done.

Look at ergonomics, weight balance and feel. Also look at warrantee and research their customer service. How a company handles issues is important, any bow can fail or have defects. A quick search on specific models here can quicly point out pros and cons of various models.

Try to shoot a few different types and models, eventually one style, brand etc. will just feel right. I went through a few bows before I found exactly what I like. To some people thats not important to others it is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much. Will do all that. I was late getting antlerless tag so I'm done till next season. Yal are great.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Welcome to the Nation!
You'll have plenty of time to shoot some different bows before settling on one and then practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Welcome to the Nation.

Reactions: quickill7
1 - 11 of 11 Posts