Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

New guy from Ellicott City, MD. I hunted out west for many years and moved back to Maryland a few years ago. This is my first year hunting here, so lots to learn. I’m a traditional hunter who makes my own bows, but I’m also a realist who wants deer meat, and knows that at age 61 there’s a clock ticking somewhere. I just picked up a Ravin R10. I plan to continue hunting with my primitive bow, but failing that I will use the R10 to help ensure a deer or two each year. I respect both types of hunting and with my access limited to state land I think this is a good approach. I look forward to learning from all.

Ted

·
Registered
88 Posts
Welcome to the Boards and learn you will.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hi Ted... Welcome to The Nation. Howard County is overrun with whitetails. If neighbors agreed, you could probably do some herd management off my son's back patio. I'd do it myself, but I've got plenty down in Montgomery County. Log in to MD DNR and get free permit to hunt reservoirs around B'more. Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC) also controls lands around Patuxent River's Tridelphia and Rocky Gorge Reservoirs. Fill your freezer, but don't look for Pope and Young bucks. I don't have any recipes for antlers anyway. Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
Tom,
We sure do have our share of does, and I've got a crate full of Coues Whitetail antlers from Arizona I've not found a use for so I'm not antler hunting here. I'm pleasantly surprised by how much public land is available in the area. I'm giving my hickory reflex bow a few more weeks to get one before I break out the crossbow.

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Welcome to the boards. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts