Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ya'll,
I'm a longtime deer/turkey hunter from SC and I'm excited about our new opportunities here is the Palmetto State. Xbows are now legal archery and I have already purchased a Horton Explorer HD 150 as my first of hopefully many xbows. I shot one of these things at an indoor range and offhand with a 3 dot sight I was in a quarter sized target with 3 shots @ 20 yards!!! Although I thought about going for something else, I kept coming back to the EXP and finally purchased one. Of course now I have to find someplace to put new weapons--

Question about setup for those Horton Exp 150 folks. What broadheads fly best out of this setup? All the research fix blade wise seems to point to Slicktrick 100's? I'm also hearing good things about wasps. I've never archery hunted before so I'm really green here. Any advice will be welcome!

Can't wait for August 15 and the start of deer season!

Blue

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
Congrats on the new bow and welcome to the wonderful world of crossbows. There are many fixed blade broadheads out there that will work with your setup . I'm sure the guys and girls here will let you know what they shoot. It seem they all have one thing in common. The broadheads that are shorter in overall length(not cutting diameter) seem to fly better from crossbows. This isn't saying you couldn't get a longer bodied broadhead to fly, it's just something I've observed from all the similer threads on this topic. With whatever head you choose, make sure to practice with them before going into the woods.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
Are you into mechanicals? I understand the rage broad heads fly just like a field point. I will be trying them for the first time this year.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dan,
This is my first time archery hunting so I'm willing to try them. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on an the NAP spitfires 100 gr seem to be very highly rated. I'm gonna buy about 12-18 bolts and try both mechanicals and fixed. Might be a little costly to start off but I figure I'll get some good info and confidence before the big' un steps into my xbows firing line for the first and last time!

·
7 Posts
The Spitfire 100's fly just like the field points for me - I have been very satisfied with them. Good luck this season.
Greg

·
15 Posts
I have good luck with the 3blade muzzy i shoot the same bow as you and killed 5bucks and 2 does complete passthurs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a question, what is the differnce between the HD and the XL? I just bought an XL and the only thing that I can see is the Camo is different......

Are there any other differences?

I got the Xl brand new for $299......was this a good price?

·
310 Posts
Urban Legend said:
That's $100.00 less than I sell them in my store. I do sell the HD model though. I'm not sure but the XL might be last years model. Just a guess.
All,
The XL is part of the Legend Series. That may be part of the confusion.

Thanks,
MWB

·
310 Posts
AnthonyC. said:
Legend? No, mine is the Horton Explorer XL, it says explorer XL on the box and the bow. I do think it is an older model.
AnthonyC,
Sorry, you are right.

Mark W. Beck

·
Registered
31 Posts
I didnt mean to say my last comment in a mean way, and no reason to apologize, I am glad to hear what other people have to say:)

·
310 Posts
AnthonyC. said:
I didnt mean to say my last comment in a mean way, and no reason to apologize, I am glad to hear what other people have to say:)
AC,
Was not taken bad. There are alot of models with different variations. I answered to fast without research, but did not want to come off as a know - it - all.
We make different models, and then we make special models for Dick's, Bass Pro, Cabela's, and other "big box" outlets it gets hard to keep track.
We're cool. Please keep the questions coming.

Thanks,
Mark W. Beck
Horton Mfg.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts