Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had two retinal detachments on my right eye.:D Needless to say my vision is not the best. Trying to use me peep sites on my compound bow caused me to miss 4 deer last season including a nice 10 point. I was given the suggestion to try a XB with red dot sites.

My question, is what would be a better site due to poor vision, multi reticle or red dot.

Also, I am looking for an XB under $1000 that is quiet, light, and fast. I would appreciate any suggestions to help narrow my search.

Thanks for the help!

Eric

·
310 Posts
Eric,
As far as a crossbow, try the Horton Team Realtree 175.
As for the scope, that would be something you may want to try on your own. I would think the multi reticle would be a benefit due to no glare coming from the optic itself. You will always deal with sun.

Thanks,
Mark W. Beck
Horton Mfg.

·
665 Posts
Welcome to crossbow nation

·
116 Posts
vision problem

I think I have this correct... When you use a scope, you don't have to shoot with your dominant eye. I find I can shoot right or left handed with a scope. Try both kinds of scope and see if you can shoot with your better eye.

Also try a few different kinds of bows to see what fits you best. Have fun, and welcome to the crossbow nation!

·
38 Posts
Check out the TenPoint ProView scope, or the Excalibur Lumi-Zone. Both offer multiple aiming points + the illuminated aiming points option.
As for crossbows, look at several then decide what fits your style best. (I'm an Excalibur shooter - love the simplicity of the recurve limbs and the great accuracy Excalibur gurantees) And I use a TenPoint ProView on my Excalibur since I prefer the 3 crosshairs to the 1 crosshair + triangular aiming points for other yardages the Excalibur scope offers.

·
329 Posts
osecric27,

i'll give you the same recommendation that i've given several people that are NEW to XBs. ===> buy a used Horton Yukon SL (100-150.oo is usual around here) & enjoy it until you believe you need something more expensive/faster/better. (i think of the Yukon as the "pickup truck" of XBs.)

i paid 95.oo for mine used in good shape & have turned down at least 10 chances to sell it at a profit. (it's NOT for sale, as it suits my simple needs.)

the Yukon is plenty fast/hardhitting for WTs, hogs, exotics & black bears = you cannot kill a piece of game deader than dead.
(a friend of mine took two LARGE blackies last season in Canada, with NO problems.).

as for sights, i have a plain-vanilla red dot by Horton that i paid 25.oo for used. it is FINE for my uses.

just my OPINION.

also, WELCOME to CBN.

yours, texasnative46

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
You may find light, and fast fast, quiet is going to be a challenge...if you compare that to a vertical bow. As for scopes, I shoot the LumiZone and find it very good. But it is relatively heavy. I just started to play with a Reflex sight on my Phoenix. I have one by Barska and now one by TryGlo. They are very light, small and relatively inexpensive. The Barska has a multiple reticules, the TrueGlo has multiple 4 dot reticules, one of which pretty closely matches the speed of my bow. There are more expensive and better red dots like Zeiss but none with speed compensating reticules so far.
As for bow, definitely shoot as many as you can. Fit is important as well as cocking effort if you have limitations other than eyesight. Look for a quality co that stands behind their product: BowTech, Excalibur, Parker, Ten Point, come to mind.

·
11,423 Posts

As an optics nut with vitreous detachment in both eyes (not the same condition you have but still a pain in the butt) I would recommend you compare a good quality single dot reflex sight with the multi reticle scopes to see which offers you the best vision, especially in low light conditions. Not knowing how your retina detachment condition has affected your vision, and to what degree, experimenting is likely your only way to end up with the best hunting sight. Since your vision is limited in certain areas I think you might be better off shooting a single dot sight with NO magnification. Depth perception and target acquisition is mostly improved by shooting with both eyes open and with no magnification. There are no visual correction lenses to minimize your condition that I know of. Please note that if and when you try a red dot relfex sight, always keep the red dot intensity turned down on the low side to minimize red dot light dispersion (glare). For most crossbow hunting shots, probably 35 yards or less, a single dot is really not a handicap. I sight mine in at 30 yards. For shots 10 to 25 yards I just hold a 2 to 4 inches low, for 35 yards I hold 4 inches high and 40 yards I hold the dot at the top of the deer's sholder. Works like a charm. Depending on the speed and arrow weight of your crossbow setup it only takes a few shots to see where to hold at these yardages witha 30 yard shot sight-in. Good luck!!:D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome aboard! I share a small part of your vision not being what it used to be. Crossbow has been so much more comfortable and accurate for me.

I suggest that you look at the Desert Stryker. The pull weight is 155 pounds, somewhat light in the crossbow arena, but wicked fast and quieter than many others. It is light enough to move around in the field or on stand.

I have a red dot sight by ATN on my DS. It offers four reticle combinations and I think the single red dot will be your best bet. Find a distance most common for your hunting scenario and sight in the dot. With the DS you will not need to gap much for 10 yards above and below your sighted yardage, depending on the arrow.

Best of luck and let me know if I can help with any other questions!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts