Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. My name is Jason. I am legally blind. I have been deer hunting with a rifle for a long time (wirh a high power scope.) I wanted to change things up and try a compound bow but was not successful because I could not really see the target. So, I tried a cross bow. I was able to shoot the cross bow with pretty good accuracy (With a scope) so I bought one to try. Money is tight and didnt want to spend a lot. It only shoots 260 FPS and was wondering if yall had a recommendation for arrow selection, weight, and broadhead selection for hunting. I shoot 16 in h aluminium arrows that came with the bow. I have done some research and figured I would ask about going with heavier arrows and broadheads for higher kinetic energy because the bow is slower than some. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
8,250 Posts
What is your shooting distance expectations?

That length limits a bit but not a burden. Most Xbow arrows today are 20". Do you have a Excalibur Xbow?

14,512 Posts
Slick Trick Standards or Magnums. With 260fps and reduced visual acuity, I'd say 20-30 yards should be your kill zone.

Reactions: BuckeyeBow1980

· Registered
33 Posts
I recommend using Mechanical Broadheads with a large cut diameter, like 2”. From my experience, this GREATLY REDUCES Tracking Distance.
For example, I made a bad shot with a 2” Mech. and the large buck went 40 yards. I made a good shot with a smaller fixed blade head and the smaller buck went 350 yards.

Welcome to the pack & Good Hunting.

· Registered
497 Posts
Hello. My name is Jason. I am legally blind. I have been deer hunting with a rifle for a long time (wirh a high power scope.) I wanted to change things up and try a compound bow but was not successful because I could not really see the target. So, I tried a cross bow. I was able to shoot the cross bow with pretty good accuracy (With a scope) so I bought one to try. Money is tight and didnt want to spend a lot. It only shoots 260 FPS and was wondering if yall had a recommendation for arrow selection, weight, and broadhead selection for hunting. I shoot 16 in h aluminium arrows that came with the bow. I have done some research and figured I would ask about going with heavier arrows and broadheads for higher kinetic energy because the bow is slower than some. Thanks in advance.
Welcome and good luck with the bow. Look around in some of the other forum threads that deal with the science behind arrows and broadheads and kinetic energy. Lots of friendly and knowledgeable people around.

· Registered
99 Posts
Welcome to the site. I’m not sure what bow you have, but I had a Horton Yukon SL that shot 260 FPS. Had excellent luck with aluminum arrows and the standard Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain. They can be found very inexpensive and did a very lethal job. In fact, I have some extra I would be willing to give you if you shoot me a PM. Heavier arrows and fixed blade broadheads are the ticket IMO. Slick Tricks are a great head too. As mentioned in another post keep your shots in the 20-30 yard range. Good Luck

Reactions: Iron Duke

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the site. I’m not sure what bow you have, but I had a Horton Yukon SL that shot 260 FPS. Had excellent luck with aluminum arrows and the standard Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain. They can be found very inexpensive and did a very lethal job. In fact, I have some extra I would be willing to give you if you shoot me a PM. Heavier arrows and fixed blade broadheads are the ticket IMO. Slick Tricks are a great head too. As mentioned in another post keep your shots in the 20-30 yard range. Good Luck
Thank you

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is your shooting distance expectations?

That length limits a bit but not a burden. Most Xbow arrows today are 20". Do you have a Excalibur Xbow?
Thanks for reply. I have an SAS Empire terminator It came with 16" aluminum arrows but I think and maybe 20in to carbon and 20 to 30 yd would be my Max. Thank everyone so much for the replies

· Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for reply. I have an SAS Empire terminator It came with 16" aluminum arrows but I think and maybe 20in to carbon and 20 to 30 yd would be my Max. Thank everyone so much for the replies
It will get the job done. Shot placement is key. Best of luck to you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.