Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some shooting today, from some 50 yard off hand shots I got one arrow to deflect off the nock of another I shot previously, and the bushing has a small chunk out of it that is preventing the nock from seating in it properly. In the pic the arrow on the left hit the arrow on the right in the right group. I also had same hole accuracy that ruined the fletchings on another arrow when I was sighting in at 20yds. No reason I can't get these repaired at an archery shop and keep using them, right? The carbon all looked good, no fractures or chips.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Quit shooting your own dang arrows and you wouldnt have to worry about it. LOL!

If the bushing is glued in I wouldnt trust anyone to remove and install a new bushing. That could turn into a blown up crossbow. On the other hand they can cut the shaft, install a new bushing and most likely would have to re fletch.

I'm just not certain if the Ravin bushing is glued in. Someone else might know. I can check my Ravin arrows when I get home.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
They are glued in. You can but nocks off eBay and replace them if you are sure there are no cracks, etc in the arrows. New bushings can be bought form Tapp Nation and they work OK but are pretty tight and hard to remove nocks from them. I am hot gluing the bushings in so I can just pull them out using a hair dryer as a heat source. I pulled one yesterday with a regular nock in it and replaced it with one with a lighted nock to hunt with.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I'd even be a bit leery using a hair dryer. If you weaken those fibers just in the least bit you could have a potential problem. I wouldnt be as concerned if removing an insert but on the nock end of the shaft I personally would not heat it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a dozen arrows coming later this week, hopefully fewer culls and fewer damages. Seems like the safe play is to junk the arrow.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
I'd even be a bit leery using a hair dryer. If you weaken those fibers just in the least bit you could have a potential problem. I wouldnt be as concerned if removing an insert but on the nock end of the shaft I personally would not heat it.
I have been using heat on carbon arrows since they came into popular usage and never had a single problem using a hair dryer or even sticking them in boiling water for a minute or so. People have been using hair dryers to straighten rumbled up vanes for years and years also which also heats up the shaft problem free.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I'm sure. I wander at
Got a dozen arrows coming later this week, hopefully fewer culls and fewer damages. Seems like the safe play is to junk the arrow.
I wouldnt junk it. They arent cheap and the back of the arrow with the bushing in can be cut off. As long as there is no damage to the carbon.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I'm sure. I wander at

I wouldnt junk it. They arent cheap and the back of the arrow with the bushing in can be cut off. As long as there is no damage to the carbon.
That was supposed to be I wander at what temp does the cabon start to break down?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts