Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 1000 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the trip to a local shop this morning to finalize this review. I love this little crossbow already! Before I go farther let me say thanks to Wyvern Creations\David Wilkins for fielding all my questions. I simply would not have purchased this package from anyone else.

By far the most impressive crossbow and package I’ve had. The speed is the big attention grabber with the Nitro XRT but there is a lot more to this little crossbow than just speed. We will discuss in more detail below but the Nitro XRT brings everything to the table that I wanted, all in one crossbow. Quality, small, accurate, great accessories, silent crank and all the speed I will ever need. Couple that with Ten Points stellar customer service and I have a crossbow I can hunt with for many years! The review is lengthy but I’m trying to address everything about the crossbow and give you as much detail as I can. I hope I didn’t miss anything but If I did or you have any question just ask.

Specs: 470fps/370gr arrow
450fps/425gr arrow
440fps/445gr arrow
30.7” long
12.5”/7” ATA
16.5” power stroke
7.4lb bare bow
225lb draw weight

Package: The Nitro XRT sells for $2499 and comes standard with the Elite package. It is a very high quality package and I will break it down for review below. If you buy from Wyvern he will throw in extras but from the factory the package includes: Evo X scope, Silent Accudraw Pro crank, 6 Evo X arrows, 3 arrow quiver, String stops, Stag case a level and a sling. The only “weak link” I found in scrutinizing the whole package would be the 3 arrow single grip quiver. I would prefer a 4 arrow double gripper. It shows that Ten Point put a lot of thought and effort into creating a package that any hunter would be happy with.

Speed: Factory Evo arrows with the aluminum nock weigh 464gr. It shot 425fps through the chrono I had access to. The Nitro would hit it’s rating considering the Evo arrows are 96gr heavier than the Prolite it is rated with. Factor that in and it would be no problem hitting 470fps. I’m not going to try it. I already ruined the flecthing on one arrow shooting it through their chrono today. You better have a good target :) I am going to eventually get a Spyderweb no speed limit.

Alpha Nock: The most impressive feature of the Alpha nock is that it self-aligns if indexed incorrectly. It may not hit the same POI but it will keep you from destroying your crossbow. In case any of you missed it, I am posting the videos below of the nock self-aligning when indexed incorrectly. The radius fits the string angle better and provides better string wear. They will have a polymer version available in April and is approved for use in the Nitro. I will switch to the lighted polymer version later. I have nothing against the Omni nock but this is a better mouse trap. I’m getting great accuracy from them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9k7ssapd...a?dl=0&preview=Alpha_Nock_120_Engineering.mp4
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9k7ssapd...eview=Alpha_Nock_Not_Seated_Engineering_1.mp4

Evo X arrows: With the aluminum nock, on my scale they weighed 464gr. They are very accurate and hit hard. I may play with other arrows for tickles and grins but unlike most factory arrows out there you don’t need to upgrade. I also highly recommend sticking with them over trying to get max speed with the prolite. You will achieve better accuracy; will be more pleasant shooting and still maintaining 425fps+. The fletching and vanes are rugged. I actually dug my vanes into the target a couple times before they started peeling back.

T5 trigger: Just as Ten Point described. The first thing you will notice before you take the shot is the safety being quieter than previous models. A nice improvement. I checked it twice and it breaks dead on 3.5lb and half the travel as last year. No way for me to gauge how much travel but I would guesstimate 1/8”-3/16”. If you shot any of the new bows last year you will definitely notice the difference this year.

Noise/Vibration: You will be amazed at how smooth and quiet the Nitro is for the speed it’s shooting. It has a bit of jump to it but it’s not bad. There is zero vibration. You know you have some power behind this crossbow but it is a very pleasurable shooting experience. As for noise I don’t have a meter but I don’t think anyone will have issues with the noise level. You really have to shoot it to appreciate it. I will do a video at some point when the wind is whipping.

Accuracy: Most of you have seen the pictures I’ve posted already so I won’t repost them here. You will not be disappointed! It is an easy crossbow to shoot. Absolutely no complaints!!

Weight/Balance: The 7.4lb is bare bow. I weighed it with the scope mounted and of course the Accudraw with handle, level, sling no quiver because I don’t mount a quiver to my crossbow. It came out 10.87lb. It’s going to be heavier than the other Ten Point models but the reverse draw platform makes it comfortable to shoulder. If you want this kind of speed in a crossbow this small you need a little weight to it to stabilize it and make it comfortable to shoot. Ten Point did an excellent job designing the Nitro to make it both accurate and comfortable to shoot.

Quality: As to be expected, the Nitro XRT is very well built! I don’t feel any rough edges or seen any burrs. The new camo is beautiful. The stock has a rubberized adjustable cheek piece and butt plate like previous models. All Ten Point crossbows are sturdy and well-built but the engineering and workmanship of the Nitro XRT stands out.

Service/Maintenance: I have about 100+ shots and the string and cables are in good shape. I’m using the Scorpion Venom rail lube and Scorpion Venom Polymetric fluid for the strings and cables about every 30 shots or so. The Polymetric fluid dries so it doesn’t leave a sticky residue or pick up debris like traditional wax. No red flags with abnormal wear.

Timing: I could tell the cables had stretched a bit so while I was at the shop I tuned it. At first glance you might think it’s complicated to time but it isn’t….actually quite easy. I twisted the cables on the end where they connect to the riser. Go slow….a little bit goes a long way. 1 full twist on each cable moved the timing 1.5 dots. You will need the bracket extender on the EZ press but it is simple to use. My hope is one day someone will invent a small portable press that will work on these designs. I think most anyone can work on this crossbow if you have the equipment just pay attention to detail.

Accudraw Pro: The Pro was out last year and a lot of you may have already tried but I’m covering it anyway. It works great. Silent operation and 4oz lighter than the standard Accudraw. Pull is around 8.5lb. It has an auto engage lever, meaning once you start cranking it will engage itself. The handle has a clutch so you won’t over crank. No more fumbling around in the stand trying to cock the crossbow.

Evo scope: Glass is very clear with no fisheye! I have attached a picture of how the reticle is laid out. The speed ring can be locked. It slides out to adjust and slide it back to lock. Very sturdy scope! The crosshairs are fine. It is the best illumination I’ve had in a scope. It doesn’t over power the scope, no halo effect! I had it out late a couple times already and if it’s too dark for you to shoot with this scope you are hunting well past/before legal shooting time. The only downside to it for myself is mine has a short eye relief at around 2”. Lot of shooters like that it’s just going to take some getting used to for me. It has aiming points out to 100yd or more depending on where you start your zero. Doubt you will find a factory packaged scope equal to this one.

Stag case: Light weight, fits nicely and easy to use. I’m not sure what material it’s made of but it’s not hard or soft. Comes with foam inserts you put in place. I would feel comfortable traveling with it. I have never flown but it is rated for airline use.

Foot stirrup: Just a quick note they made the foot stirrup smaller….and I like it. Last year they had two options, a small bow hanger or the larger foot stirrup. I think the new foot stirrup is the perfect happy medium between the two.

Conclusion: I think you guys can see I really like this crossbow! I could write a hundred more pages but you won’t fully grasp how nice it is until you try one for yourself. This is going to be my new go to crossbow. Next move is to mount the Tactacam and get it ready for turkey season. Haven’t had time to play with that yet. Lord willing there will be many more posts with the Nitro XRT…..hunting footage and videos throughout the hunting seasons. I appreciate you taking time to read this review. I am no pro….I just muddle through the best I can.

CN XRT.jpg

CN XRT1.jpg

CN XRT2.jpg

Evo scope.jpg

·
10,863 Posts
Nice ...

Reactions: bigoleboy

·
Registered
456 Posts
Nice review Pin, but you fell asleep at the wheel in one aspect. And that is: where are the pictures of this new "magic nock"? ;):D

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I will get pic up of the nock and also there is 94gr difference between the prolite and Evo.....not 96. I was using NC math LOL

·
Registered
329 Posts
Dam good review Pin. One heck of a little bow when compared to Nitro

Scorp165/Suppressor/Dagger/
Solution390/CE Inceptor/Ravin R10/KI Swat
Black Widow

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Just an awesome review Pin.
I called Tenpoint and spoke with a tech. They told me to lube everything with the Scorpion Venom Arrow release fluid.
Strings, cables servings, cable looped ends, rail and even the AcuDraw cord. I even asked again,,,the Acudraw cord ? Yep!!
Kind of surprised me, but that's what I'm doing.
Thanks for the time you put into your review....Spot on!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't know they was recommending the arrow lube. I did know you were supposed to lube the accudraw and I keep forgetting lol Was thinking about that on my last couple shots tonight but I was too lazy to walk back inside and lube it lol I will be doing that going forward.

·
10,863 Posts
My, my ... that's a shocking difference between the two bows in post #7! Makes me a little more anxious for 2020 ATA to get here so I can buy something. :D

Reactions: pinshooter

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Nice job Pin!

The SV Arrow Release fluid has been their recommendation since early this year. BZ has it detailed in the TenPoint maintenance video section for all of the NTX crossbows.

It only come in a bigger than typical SV rail and string treatment dispensers so you may want to use Qtips or possibly transfer some of the fluid into another dispenser.

SV ARF.jpg

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Reactions: pinshooter

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks SB! Weather has taken a turn for the worse but looking forward to when I can shoot again!

1 - 20 of 1000 Posts