Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is a newbie question. Why do you have to have such a heavy brass insert in the front? Also what are the weights in grains of all the arrow components?

When I hunted with 28" arrows in my vertical bow they weighed about 420grains total weight at 65 pounds of draw weight. So what is the ibo method or specs for a crossbow?

I know it's alot of questions....:D

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
You don't have to have the brass inserts in your arrows. The reason guys do it is it gives you a heavier front of center which intern creates better arrow flight and down range accuracy. If your setup is doing fine with out brass inserts, that's great. In the off season, you may want to try them. It could pull your groups together tighter.

Crossbow arrows can vary in total weight depending on shaft material, insert material, length of fletch and type of nock. Most guys like to hunt with a shaft in the 400 to 450 grain range. Some shafts can be as light as 350 grains and you could probably make them as heavy as you want.

I don't think there is an IBO or AMO standard of grains per inch for the crossbow. I could be wrong.

·
1,426 Posts
I recently saw a post here, I am pretty sure, that set out what one poster's vanes, nock, Broadhead and insert weighed and you can go on the eastman web site to tell you the grains per inch ratio of different arrow shafts...
the feathers were like a few grains each... more folks will chime in with lots of particular details to help you ..
dk

·
542 Posts
My pro shop guy told me that I should always use aluminum arrows in a crossbow..........Some how I don't believe that to be true, especially after reading so many of the posts on here............

REv..................

·
149 Posts
I shoot easton powerbolts with an foc of 14, 400 gr. with a 100 gr slicktrick. This is the best setup I have tried for my exocet, Have gt's too brass inserts. Out to 25 yards the eastons shoot flatter and are more accurate than the gold tips. I have 2 inch blazers on both. If I put on 125 gr slicks the eastons are maybe 1/2 inch low but the gt's are about 2 inches low. Each bow is different so its a trial and error thing. My friend has the same bow as me and the blazers do not shoot good but 3 inch duravanes shoot great. Imo there is no one size fits all. I also like carbon arrows. Tried aluminum too.
Hope this helped you some. StanT

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to clarify, I would like to maybe try some other kinds of arrows but are all the arrows for crossbows different than regular arrows? Can I cut them down to make crossbow arrows? I wonder if I went to an arrow in the 500gr range if it would be alot quieter? Has anyone experimented with different weights of arrows?

Thanks
Terry

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
conductorguy said:
Just to clarify, I would like to maybe try some other kinds of arrows but are all the arrows for crossbows different than regular arrows? Can I cut them down to make crossbow arrows? I wonder if I went to an arrow in the 500gr range if it would be alot quieter? Has anyone experimented with different weights of arrows?

Thanks
Terry
If you vary much from 22/64 ths diameter you could have problems and w/ carbons, i believe there is a spine difference that could also make trouble. Been out of the vert scene for a LONG time, others can help more than I, but have read of these issues fwiw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts