Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any good public land for archery season thats not to over used?

Im thinking if things ever get better money wise (lawsuit should be over soon with workmens comp) I am thinking of going to ohio to hunt, since my dad was born and raised there, I owe it to him to hunt on his "holy" land. He was very proud of being a buckeye

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Seems every year we hunt Ohio, and I find that on the 50 acres of woods we're in, there's 5 hunters at a time. Trespassers, but seems nothings enforced there. I don't say anything as I'm not a landowner, and I'm just grateful I get signed permission to hunt on those peoples land. I brought my stands home though this past season as I don't plan on going back this year. Instead, I'm going to Minnesota on a drawn bear hunt Sept. 1st. I usually hunt Knox county, and I see all the big bucks on the road and not in the woods. Argh!
Last year, Butch shot a 150 class buck the first 5 minutes we were there and he hadn't even got his crossbow up in the stand yet. It went to one of the neighbors land we didn't get permission to enter, and it took us a week before he would let us go look. He wasn't happy someone shot one of HIS deer he was feeding for his personal hunting. By then, it had rained a few times, and we never recovered his deer.

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lake La Su An Wildlife Area

any good hearings about this place?

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
something with in a hour or two of toledo

south east or west

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
mideerslayer said:
Is there any good public land for archery season thats not to over used?

Im thinking if things ever get better money wise (lawsuit should be over soon with workmens comp) I am thinking of going to ohio to hunt, since my dad was born and raised there, I owe it to him to hunt on his "holy" land. He was very proud of being a buckeye
How far are you willing to travel? I know a few choice locations. The NE part of our state and the northern part of our state in general is not Ohio's best hunting in my opinion.

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well if the time ever comes that i can go to ohio, i would go to the southern sections

it would be no different then going to the UP for me. I once traveled 13 hours straight to hunt the north west corner of the Up

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
Guide Girl said:
Seems every year we hunt Ohio, and I find that on the 50 acres of woods we're in, there's 5 hunters at a time. Trespassers, but seems nothings enforced there. I don't say anything as I'm not a landowner, and I'm just grateful I get signed permission to hunt on those peoples land. I brought my stands home though this past season as I don't plan on going back this year. Instead, I'm going to Minnesota on a drawn bear hunt Sept. 1st. I usually hunt Knox county, and I see all the big bucks on the road and not in the woods. Argh!
Last year, Butch shot a 150 class buck the first 5 minutes we were there and he hadn't even got his crossbow up in the stand yet. It went to one of the neighbors land we didn't get permission to enter, and it took us a week before he would let us go look. He wasn't happy someone shot one of HIS deer he was feeding for his personal hunting. By then, it had rained a few times, and we never recovered his deer.
GG you are in the thick of it. Knox borders one of the hottest counties in Ohio and it is too close to the big city. I might be able to give you a suggestion too. Granted it is bow hunting only advice. Even the areas I know are pretty hot during gun season. I do have a couple of aces in the hole I would be willing to reveal to some members of this site.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
mideerslayer said:
well if the time ever comes that i can go to ohio, i would go to the southern sections

it would be no different then going to the UP for me. I once traveled 13 hours straight to hunt the north west corner of the Up
Well if you are willing to travel south of Interstate 70 I can put you into public land that not only will you not see another archer but you might be pressed to find parked vehicles that belong to hunters during bow season. And these areas are smack dab in the middle of 6 deer allowed country. I also know of a few leases that are available for cheap. Southern Ohio Coal company and Mead paper companies is the right place to start searching. AEP has a crap load of land too.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
Did a quick check of where that Lake La Su An is. It might be a peaceful hunt it might not. That is not the best deer hunting the state of Ohio has to offer. Get yourself into Zone C. But away from the big cities by at least an hour. I would think in the Lake La Su An area you would be hunting with all of Toledo at your side.

Attachments

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so you are allowed to take 3 bucks in zone c?

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Urban Legend said:
No, only one buck no matter what zone or what weapon.
Guess I should have read the small print:D

Well you can eat to many antler's, it might make you sick

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
buckeye dan said:
GG you are in the thick of it. Knox borders one of the hottest counties in Ohio and it is too close to the big city. I might be able to give you a suggestion too. Granted it is bow hunting only advice. Even the areas I know are pretty hot during gun season. I do have a couple of aces in the hole I would be willing to reveal to some members of this site.
Don't forget me next year! We go to Knox county becuase we have crazy relation there and they get us lined up with their neighbors. Last year, we were invited south to one of the Indusrtys farms and hunted two days there. It was more of a visit than a hunting adventure. Don't get to see my friends in Ohio often enough. Same as hunting with relation. We're getting into it, and they'll invite everyone for a family get together and dinner just for us, so...Then, Halloween night with the family again. Don't get to spend as much time in the woods as we want.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
Did some checking on one of my aces. It is located in Muskingum county. 61.62 acres that usually leases for $15/acre. The property borders a township where no hunting is allowed. It is a deer refuge of gigantic proportions. I have counted as many as 23 deer in one evening leaving that property to feed in the no hunting township. The land was leased last year to a small group of hunters and will be spoken for as long as the lease is available.

Here is the really good part. I spoke to the owner of the property on the phone just now and it will be available for sale the fall. If anyone is interested contact me and I'll connect you to the owner. He hasn't set a price as of now. Last year the property was timbered for everything over 16 inches. It's going to get thick in the next couple of years and the hunting will be out of this world. I think there are a few nice sized clearings for plotting too.
Note the black line is the no hunting township.

Attachments

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
he leased that for $930 ??

That would go for 5 or 6 grand in southern Mi

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
There are timber leases in SE Ohio that were going for $6/acre a few years ago. I think they are around $8-$12 now? Thing is with some of those they won't divide and you have 100 acre to 200 acre minimums. In some cases you are forced to use 400+ acre parcels if you want a lease.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
8 to 12 dollars an acre,I wish we had that problem.

·
219 Posts
Ashtabula County

I am in Ashtabula County and lake County quite a bit. (Wife is from Geneva). Over the past few years I have done some looking around and found some real decent bucks in those areas. I have access to a few great hunting spots if you are interested in that part of the state. I plan on doing some hunting up there this year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts