Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read through Norski's post on hanging deer. For the last 5 years I have been handling deer to minimize the effort required to get a deer out of the woods and back to the house. Unless I plan on having a deer head mounted, I follow this gutless procedure with several additional steps:

After I remove the first front quarter, I hang it from a tree branch or small tree using a simple slip loop around the leg just above the knee joint. I remove the hide from the quarter, always cutting with the hair to avoid getting hair on the meat. While the quarter is hanging, I work my way down removing each muscle group. All the meat goes into a food grade plastic bags. I do the same for the hind quarter. I next remove the the loin, neck meat, brisket, and any flank meat worth saving. Last is the inside tenderloin per the video above.
I roll the carcass over and repeat for the other side. The heart comes out with a simple cut below the sternum, then reaching up inside and cutting the heart loose. I have gotten proficient at this technique and can have the entire deer boned out from start to finish in 35-45 minutes. If you are required to tag the deer immediately, I do that and take that boned out leg with me. If I want to take along the antlers, I carry a small saw, takes another 5 minutes to do that. I have a small plastic sled that the meat bags are piled on, and off I go back to the truck. I sometimes use an extra backpack to carry out the meat.
When I arrive back home, I empty the bags into meat lugs and put them in my basement refrigerator. I have no mess in the truck or garage, and the meat cools rapidly.
The bags of meat also fit nicely into the carriers on my ebike if I decide to use that. I can skip the sled ride back to the truck.
I am hunting private land, and do not leave the remaining carcass in sight, dragging it off a short distance for the scavengers to clean up. Check your state regs first.

The same procedure can be done in the dark with a good headlamp.

·
Registered
RDX 400, Nitro 505 w/Oracle X
242 Posts
Like many things, being efficient is what counts. Seems to me you do the work in the field or at home, almost an equal amount. Being a tad older, it’s easy for me to field dress, drain the chest blood and load the atv. At home I can drive the atv to the shed, tie off at the head and feet and use the hoist to lift and hang it to drip while I go have a light beer.
i return and basically follow your video but on a vertical animal. It typically takes about 1more 1/2 a light beer to pull the straps and quarters. After cutting at the neck and knife work is done, everything is in bags in the fridge I finish the beer, take a shower and open the IPAs.
As I posted earlier, the unsuspectingly dangerous work for me came 2 days later when I spun the deer and his hind leg hit one of the knives driving it into my knee. I was barely on my second cup of coffee!
I’ll be trying pickled revenge heart by this Sunday!

Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Not by any means implying anything here. Just wanted to share a old saying that is true. If you want to find the most efficient way to do any job, is to give it to the laziest person. ;)
Probably why everyone I know is always asking me how I do things. :unsure: :whistle:

·
Registered
395 Posts
The easiest way to do something is to get someone else to do it. I get the young guys at work all the time when they are struggling with something. I walk over and say" ya know there is an easier way to do that" when they ask how i say " get someone else to do it"its only funny once on most people. Sometimes the dimmer light bulbed ones will ask how more than once.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
619 Posts
Your just smart ....I can't imagine stroking out or have a heart attack trying to drag a animal through forest swamps mountains....it's a sick joke .....maby when I was 18 or 25 and didn't really know I was destroying my body....it rings so true now how some old timers would sat.....take it easy your gonna pay for that later on someday......I've done it your way it's the only way unless a vehicle can be used ...thanks for sharing...common sense has been long forgotten in these days of the zombie duckwhole sheep freaks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts