Crossbow Nation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Vendor
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Family Court System taking a toll on young hunters??

When I was a kid I had both parents. My dad would come home after work to scramble to get me and head out the door an into the woods. We would bow hunt in the early fall and freeze our hind ends off during Dec. gun season. My dad spent time with me on the off season helping me practice with my bow and I would talk his ear off countless nights about deer hunting.. We had a BETA VCR and a Bob Folkrod video was my go to version of play it 100times a day like kids watch Barney or Bob the Builder.

Today I am directly in the hunting industry by profession and being a single dad I am finding it hard to get my son in the woods at all, but a small number of days in a season that can span over 4 months.

These days that kids have this opportunity to grow up with their dad in hunting are fading away as we watch the number of hunters decline on what appears to be a national level, but why??? Is it really video games, is it really other things to do?

The sporting world of hunting seems to be a little wishy washy on why less people are hunting. Perhaps this is directly tied to family courts separating the time needed for a father to teach and spend time with his kid hunting and not to mention being able to afford to do the sport with his kid.

Some states like mine in NJ you have to fill out a form before they let you have your hunting license that asks whether or not you owe Child Support. If correct that means family court presents an issue for fathers. After all many dads after going through the Family court system end up with the latter part of a 70/30 or 80/20 split " in the best interest of the child " and subject to 65% of his gross pay to front for CS.

Could family courts be taking a toll on hunters by reducing the time with the father, I think so...

Data below..

"The simplest answer is that fewer kids are picking it up," said New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Spokesman Larry Hajna. He said a declining number of hunters has been a trend for a number of years. "
https://www.nj.com/.../number_of_hunters_continues_to...

"Numbers show sharp drop in the 25-34 age group, which used to be the largest share of the hunting population " <--- Think that this age people are having kids and splitting up?

“Kids, we’re losing them,” said Jeff Danker, a hunting personality who hosts the show “BuckVentures” on the Sportsman Channel. “If Grandpa don’t hunt or Dad don’t hunt, they ain’t hunting.”
https://theknow.denverpost.com/.../hunting.../223765/

" If deer populations and management are not to blame, why are there fewer hunters today? Pennsylvania is not alone when it comes to declining license sales. Across the U.S., hunting license sales have been steadily declining since the early 1980s (Table 3). When surveyed, hunters most often identify personal reasons, such as lack of free time, family and work obligations, and limited access to hunting land as primary reasons for no longer hunting. Lack of game ranks well below these other factors."

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/.../Pages/FewerDeerFewerHunters.aspx

Although we see some huntresses in the hunting world theses days which is great hunting is dominantly a man driven sport.

"Even as more people are engaging in outdoor activities, hunting license sales have fallen from a peak of about 17 million in the early ’80s to 15 million last year, according to U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service data. The agency’s 2016 survey suggested a steeper decline to 11.5 million Americans who say they hunt, down more than 2 million from five years earlier."
https://www.boonevilledemocrat.com/.../hunting-is-declining

I may be wrong, but the 2011 -2016 was following 2008 which was a horrible year with the economy and divorce rates shot up, loss of money, loss of wife...

"Hunting participation peaked in 1982, when nearly 17 million hunters purchased 28.3 million licenses. Hunter numbers have steadily declined since. We lost 2.2 million hunters between 2011 and 2016 alone, according to the National Survey of Hunting, Fishing, and Wildlife-Associated Recreation, a report issued by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. In 2016, just 11.5 million people hunted. That's less than 4 percent of the national population."

https://www.outdoorlife.com/why-we-are-losing-hunters.../

Why We Suck at Recruiting New Hunters, Why It Matters, and How You Can Fix It

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hard to say. On the one hand, hunting fees pump BILLIONS into conservation and management.
On the other hand, the anti's think leaving everything alone will keep the habitats in line.
It won't, but trying to explain that to some folks is like explaining Quantum Physics to an old fat tech challenged guy. About as well received too.
Take a kid or three hunting, fishing, camping, and just to enjoy the outdoors. Our future depends on it.

·
Vendor
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to say. On the one hand, hunting fees pump BILLIONS into conservation and management.
On the other hand, the anti's think leaving everything alone will keep the habitats in line.
It won't, but trying to explain that to some folks is like explaining Quantum Physics to an old fat tech challenged guy. About as well received too.
Take a kid or three hunting, fishing, camping, and just to enjoy the outdoors. Our future depends on it.

For lots of single dads to take their kid hunting and fishing is darn near impossible and to afford it.. I don't think anyone has considered this aspect, but is a viable area to look into imo..

·
Registered
127 Posts
For lots of single dads to take their kid hunting and fishing is darn near impossible and to afford it.. I don't think anyone has considered this aspect, but is a viable area to look into imo..
I think a lot of land owners have priced the sport out of the regular persons budget. There is very little public land in Texas, and the little there is, is regulated and restricted to near unusable, at least in my area. Still crowded though.
The scales may tilt, but haven't yet. Prices go higher and people still pay it. Good to a point, but at what cost in the future.
I don't have those answers, but I don't hunt unless as a guest any more.

·
Retired
1,293 Posts
Courts aren't hurting families, Husbands and wives are not committing to relationships for a myriad of reasons leading to divorce

Fact

God ordained man to care for his wife as if she were a queen because man was not meant to be alone he was meant to care for his wife 1st then the kids.

If we were to examine families that are happy and prospering I believe 100% of them will show the wife as the cornerstone and the husband will be madly in love with her caring for her every need

A woman that is loved and cared for is the strongest creature on earth. A woman who isn't cared for is the weakest.

God didnt intend for one parent to attempt to raise kids its a two person job

If we want to see more kids interested in archery put normalcy back in the family unit as God intended

·
Registered
44 Posts
If ever hunting game was to be banned or outlawed widespread freedom preservation (taking game anyway) on behalf of our sportsmen would carry on discreetly more often than not.Loss of revenues,insurance companies going bananas,the cost of managing nuisance contact and so many other constitutional/economic aspects would keep this the emotional crutch it is now for peta and the like. I have but 80 acres and will always hunt and fish regardless.Personally if our political climate,pandemic lock downs don't end soon,we'll be listening to the talking heads in a year and a half telling us how more and more the Rural community and it's larger/cheap acreage was the big seller over the last 9-12 months to people looking for a more peaceful and secure life in which a family may be raised. Increased "work/school from home" and enhanced/wider internet access will make it possible for many.

Sorry for being long winded.......

·
Vendor
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Courts aren't hurting families, Husbands and wives are not committing to relationships for a myriad of reasons leading to divorce

Fact

God ordained man to care for his wife as if she were a queen because man was not meant to be alone he was meant to care for his wife 1st then the kids.

If we were to examine families that are happy and prospering I believe 100% of them will show the wife as the cornerstone and the husband will be madly in love with her caring for her every need

A woman that is loved and cared for is the strongest creature on earth. A woman who isn't cared for is the weakest.

God didnt intend for one parent to attempt to raise kids its a two person job

If we want to see more kids interested in archery put normalcy back in the family unit as God intended

I disagree... Courts are incentivized to give much greater time to the mom. This is because the father is usally the bread winner of the 2. This means the Child support is going to come from the father. The incentivized parts is that state courts / government get federal funding from a bond , your social security.

While I agree on heavily on the relationship between man and woman and that they should stay together there are numerous deterrents that are direct issues of the family court. Look when Regan first introduce No fault divorce into the legal system. Divorce rates nearly doubled and Regan would later regret it..

CS started out being if you had welfare, now once the states seen how much money they can make off it Child Support went through the entire system.

Perpahs the most ironic thing about family court is that you find it's a "Chancery" which is another name for an " Equity court and there is nothing defined inthere for family according to Cornell law.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
In '72 I remember Fred Bear on the T.V. Saturday afternoons. I remember other outdoors shows as well. These shows were instructional and focused on the neophyte but were also watchable for the seasoned hunter. The culture was accepted and main stream.
A pack of cigarettes was .45 cents and a gallon of gas was .42 cents around '76 and a Martin hunting recurve was $30. in the store where I purchased it. Cedar arrows were .25 cents each. One days wages would have bought all these things with money left over. Plenty left over, for a young blue collar worker at that time.

Today, Hunting is not mainstream and is not featured on anything other than some cable channels which are pay to view if I am not mistaken. The list of goods above have gone from 45 cents to 7 dollars and the same bow has shot up to 500 with arrows that are starting at $5 each and up to $30 each. The average blue collar guy today would have to work 4 days (after taxes) to get what I got in '72....when hunting with a bow started to ramp up.

Looking at these facts, we see that the '70s guy had an xtra 3 days to spend shooting, while the guy today is having to spend his time working just to get there. Time and money have a lot to do with it.
Most hunters start young and if you cant afford it and dont have time for it, you are unlikely to join the ranks later in life, when the money is greater and time is finally available for leisure.
Take that fact and compound it with the absolute lack of exposure and you have an answer as to why.

·
Retired
1,293 Posts
I disagree... Courts are incentivized to give much greater time to the mom. This is because the father is usally the bread winner of the 2. This means the Child support is going to come from the father. The incentivized parts is that state courts / government get federal funding from a bond , your social security.

While I agree on heavily on the relationship between man and woman and that they should stay together there are numerous deterrents that are direct issues of the family court. Look when Regan first introduce No fault divorce into the legal system. Divorce rates nearly doubled and Regan would later regret it..

CS started out being if you had welfare, now once the states seen how much money they can make off it Child Support went through the entire system.

Perpahs the most ironic thing about family court is that you find it's a "Chancery" which is another name for an " Equity court and there is nothing defined inthere for family according to Cornell law.
You have missed my point

Courts don't cause divorce selfishness or unfaithfulness or uncommitted people cause divorce.

Reagan didn't cause divorces to increase he made it easier for who do not understand the responsibility of what marriage is to give up and walk away

God ordained the marriage to be two people coming together and loving each other so much they spiritual become one.

We would not need 10% of the divorce court that exists in America if men an women would commit to the relationship God intended as he intended

In America the shrinks say money causes most divorce, nope its an excuse to cover the real problem

The divorces I have seen in my 67 years were mostly the man's fault. Lack of faithfulness, ego, etc. The day the man stops dating his wife is the day the marriage begins to break

There was no such thing as divorce court until people created the need for them

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
You have missed my point

Courts don't cause divorce selfishness or unfaithfulness or uncommitted people cause divorce.

Reagan didn't cause divorces to increase he made it easier for who do not understand the responsibility of what marriage is to give up and walk away

God ordained the marriage to be two people coming together and loving each other so much they spiritual become one.

We would not need 10% of the divorce court that exists in America if men an women would commit to the relationship God intended as he intended

In America the shrinks say money causes most divorce, nope its an excuse to cover the real problem

The divorces I have seen in my 67 years were mostly the man's fault. Lack of faithfulness, ego, etc. The day the man stops dating his wife is the day the marriage begins to break

There was no such thing as divorce court until people created the need for them
I see it as a cultural thing.
Marriage used to be an understood contract which worked to the benefit of both people. Back at the turn of the century and before, people got married because living alone was much harder and especially for a woman. A Woman was VERY unlikely to cut their noses off to spite their faces back then.
Once Women got into the workforce and began making as much as a man, she had options. When the courts started taking everything from the man and giving it to the woman during a divorce, it became like a lottery where a woman could walk away with an amazing participation award. Suddenly, the shoe was on the other foot.

Marriage is steadily shrinking as the new age man sees whats up and decides to not take a 50/50 shot at losing 1/2 his life on the off chance that the woman he loves doesnt change her view of him and/or life.
Society has done more to wreck the institution than the individual has done IMO.

People used to have to work at it and fix it because they needed one another. Today, thats not at all the case.

Reactions: Hidden Waters

·
Registered
480 Posts
The OP seems more about discontent with a legal system dealing with parental settlements than the causes for a decline in hunting interest.

Some custody law may affect the ability of some people to take their kids hunting, but the notion that a decline in hunting amongst the young being due to the application of custody laws seems unlikely to me.

·
Registered
Center Point Sniper 390 XT, Wicked Ridge Invader X4
572 Posts
I have never understood why people are anti-hunting. I am NOT a hunter, and don't aspire to be one--so I am not naturally hunter partisan. I have to wonder why killing an animal in a slaughterhouse is ok, but killing one in the woods is not. Here are a few things I have noticed about hunters:

1. They don't litter.
2. They care about the environment.
3. 99% of the time they are sober and very safety conscious
4. They self police and are law enforcement friendly and cot dang it THAT IS NOT A BAD THING!
5. They put a lot of money in the economy
6. They tend to be good with kids
7. When the Zombies come, I want to be standing behind them
8. They tend to be independent and self reliant
9. They are generous with their time and money
10. They are usually in fairly good physical condition and are not slothful and over indulgent.
11. They can shoot better than I can
12. They smile a lot.

I know, I know--there are exceptions just like in everything else, but for the most part I would say my list pretty much fits most hunters. AND, people who are anti hunting usually don't go in the woods that much anyway.

Live and let hunt.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
The liberal agenda is to feminize the male population while trying to make the female population more masculine..some kinda twisted equalization mad science project.

·
Registered
Center Point Sniper 390 XT, Wicked Ridge Invader X4
572 Posts
Please stop with all the "liberal agenda" bull crap. Please quit being so divisive. Is it really doing any good, or are you just venting your paranoid spleen?

And, once again, no I am not a liberal, democrat, republican or conservative. I'm just an American who abhors anyone who tries to split up this great country.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The liberal agenda is to feminize the male population while trying to make the female population more masculine..some kinda twisted equalization mad science project.
I don't particularly want to be feminised and I don't want my daughters to be masculinated.

I don't actually feel either is happening.

But I sure as heck want them to have the exact same opportunities as I do, and for access to them to be unhindered by the prejudices of others.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
That is rediculous. If your paying support you can't hunt?

I started the grandson with turkey calls the day he came home from the hospital. He is now 7 and is really interested in hunting. He loves his iPad and video games but when pop pop asks him if he wants to go hunting he is excited to go.

I started the nephew at the age of 7. Now you can't get him out of the woods and he is 20. It's all about how they are introduced and brought up. They love to go fishing too. The 3 year old asks me to take him fishing. Kids love the outdoors if they are involved at an early age. They will do what they are influenced to do at an early age.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I don't particularly want to be feminised and I don't want my daughters to be masculinated.

But I sure as heck want them to have the exact same opportunities as I do, and for access to them to be unhindered by the prejudices of others.
No prejudice just pointing out the obvious. Tv and movies now feature strong females while males are portrayed as weak and dependent. Brainwashing at its finest. My grandsons do not need to be beaten down so your daughters can stand up.

·
Registered
480 Posts
No prejudice just pointing out the obvious. Tv and movies now feature strong females while males are portrayed as weak and dependent. Brainwashing at its finest.
I never said you were the one being prejudiced, but I will say seeing strong female characters as bad does smack of prejudice.

Why shouldn't women have a strong identity, will, drive or ambition? Sounds to me as if you have a problem with that if it's all you see.

And if they have more of those than a guy vying for the same position, role or responsibility, then good for them.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
When I hear terms like inner child, in touch with their feminine side, toxic masculinity, I wanna puke. Feeling queasy now.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.