Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
4,534 Posts
The folks in WV have a conspiracy theory that we cross bred our deer with mule deer back in the 70’s :ROFLMAO:. But they go out and shoot WV 11 pointers every rifle season then wonder why there are no big bucks. Btw a WV 11pt is a spike buck:oops:
The best excuse, Ohio has bigger deer is the dirt. I got all my post deleted when i said no Ohio feeds there deer more birthday cake on FB. Is why they have bigger deer. We have 3 Bow only counties that have big bucks. I suspect if you posted i heard they brought in Ohio dirt you might end up in timeout LOL.

When the meat hunters come out i like to post this pic.
Plant Green Tree Natural landscape Deer

·
Registered
TenPoint Turbo S1 / Burris Oracle X
2,111 Posts
Those bow only counties are growing some giants. I’ve been down in those mountains in southern WV
and anyone willing to hunt that terrain can have it! I thought I was from the hill country until I went to the mountain counties of WV to bear hunt. Oh and I had a woman in Webster County WV tell me that the northern panhandle isn’t really WV. :LOL:.

·
Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
336 Posts
Texas has several "Bow Only" counties up around Lake Texoma. They do indeed grow some "whoppers" up there.
I for one, wish they would make more counties here in Texas "Bow Only". :unsure:
Opening day of "Rifle Season" sound like a small war around these parts. It's a rule at our places...NO RIFLES!!
By the second week of rifle season, I have the majority of big deer on our places. I have 4 places in 3 different counties.
Three (3) are within a 45-minute drive from the house. In different directions.
The other is a 6-hour drive!! 😂

Typical of our deer in East Texas. We stole some from Ohio!!! 🤣😂🤣
Deer Fawn Grass Horn Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
Ravin R 26 Burris Oracle (Eleanor4)
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The best excuse, Ohio has bigger deer is the dirt. I got all my post deleted when i said no Ohio feeds there deer more birthday cake on FB. Is why they have bigger deer. We have 3 Bow only counties that have big bucks. I suspect if you posted i heard they brought in Ohio dirt you might end up in timeout LOL.

When the meat hunters come out i like to post this pic.
View attachment 233820
Joe

it seems you got the DIRT on Ohio DNR. Lol

I hunted WV with a buddy a few years maybe 30 mins from State Line. The deer were maybe avg 25 pounds smaller. Smaller racks and the racks were mostly non typical. Still great deer hunting we just couldn't figure out why so different only 30 miles away?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Good luck to ya'll, looks like there's quite a few good ones to choose from hopefully someone can put a tag on one of brutes.

Reactions: Regohio

·
Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
336 Posts
Joe

it seems you got the DIRT on Ohio DNR. Lol

I hunted WV with a buddy a few years maybe 30 mins from State Line. The deer were maybe avg 25 pounds smaller. Smaller racks and the racks were mostly non typical. Still great deer hunting we just couldn't figure out why so different only 30 miles away?
Reg....actually it is "the dirt"!! Minerals make a world of difference in deer!! (y)

I know a lot of folks CANNOT by Law, make mineral sites as it is determined by the powers that be, they are Bait Stations. However, here in Texas, we put out minerals ALL the time. Not just to grow horns, but to grow Does!!
A deer (buck) gets better than 60% of his genetics from the Doe, not the buck. You can have a 180-class buck, and he may NEVER produce any offspring that even come close IF the genetics aren't in the Doe's genes or she is lacking the needed nutrients.

Does require LOTS of nutrients while carrying and nursing fawns. That's why we keep mineral sites running year-round.
And on the other hand, if there are NOT enough minerals to be had, bucks will NOT grow big antlers. Why? Because he pulls minerals from his skeletal structure to grow horns every year. He is NOT going to sacrifice his bones to grow antlers.
To me, minerals are more important than feeding protein. :unsure:

I turned some friends of mine onto mineral sites. They couldn't believe the activity at those sites in a matter of a few weeks. A Deer knows what they need to survive. We as "Good Stewards" just need to pay attention to their needs.

And yes, we mix our own minerals.(y)

·
Registered
Ravin R 26 Burris Oracle (Eleanor4)
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Reg....actually it is "the dirt"!! Minerals make a world of difference in deer!! (y)

I know a lot of folks CANNOT by Law, make mineral sites as it is determined by the powers that be, they are Bait Stations. However, here in Texas, we put out minerals ALL the time. Not just to grow horns, but to grow Does!!
A deer (buck) gets better than 60% of his genetics from the Doe, not the buck. You can have a 180-class buck, and he may NEVER produce any offspring that even come close IF the genetics aren't in the Doe's genes or she is lacking the needed nutrients.

Does require LOTS of nutrients while carrying and nursing fawns. That's why we keep mineral sites running year-round.
And on the other hand, if there are NOT enough minerals to be had, bucks will NOT grow big antlers. Why? Because he pulls minerals from his skeletal structure to grow horns every year. He is NOT going to sacrifice his bones to grow antlers.
To me, minerals are more important than feeding protein. :unsure:

I turned some friends of mine onto mineral sites. They couldn't believe the activity at those sites in a matter of a few weeks. A Deer knows what they need to survive. We as "Good Stewards" just need to pay attention to their needs.

And yes, we mix our own minerals.(y)
I totally get it. I don't do any baiting but I put mineral blocks out a few times a year. From my smallest fawns to biggest bucks many deer frequent those blocks and our horn growth seems to stay great every year.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
You guys are making me cry looking at those buck pictures.

But your timing is perfect with things cooling down!

Good Luck out there. I hope to see some close ups of those bucks with a story soon!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
We first gotta show those Wisconsin badgers a butt kicking this weekend!! Who does TTUN play? Witchita State?

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
So many states complain about no big bucks. Yet the states allow you to kill 2 bucks with no minimum. So the 2 year olds get crushed...hard to get to 5 years if you get shot at 2. Ohio allows one buck no matter what you shoot it with. I'm glad we are managing our herd.
What Ive always admired about how your regs are managed is by the DNR whereas our is managed by politicians.:(

·
Registered
Mission Sub One series
1,855 Posts
Sweet Jesus... turtles, dancing acorns...what's next..the maize n blue haze craze...🤪😂😂.
Capt. Squatch is selling his speed bow...mass hysteria!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Sweet Jesus... turtles, dancing acorns...what's next..the maize n blue haze craze...🤪😂😂.
Capt. Squatch is selling his speed bow...mass hysteria!
Glass house throwing stones! I think 6th year Clifford gets his beating end of October this year. Poor kid traveled all the way from Ohio back in 2017 and still looking for a win

21 - 40 of 70 Posts