Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
From my experience it does not matter. The first deer i ever shot was shot from a treestand with a gut pile at the base of it.

Reactions: T695

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Many times have placed gut piles to hunt coyotes in remote areas of my property and watched deer walk all over the area with no alarm. Would not place gut pile close to a ground blind or any stand for that matter, pretty potent aroma.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Deer can smell really good. I have watched them track me many a time. I have watched them sniff me out right up to my tree stand and then look up at me. I have seen them track this smell over day old fresh dog trails and gut piles. They are simply looking for me. They are the true ghosts of the forest.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Gut piles don't matter much where I live, as they are gone within a day or so. Coyotes clean them
up faster than you can believe. If a deer were to die, you would see no sign in 2 days. No bones,
nothing just hair. I had a gut pile from a moose in the middle of a use atv trail. These are huge
weighing about 200 lbs. It was gone in 2 days. I suppose other states, that don't have a large
coyote problem, then it could be trouble. I have never seen deer or moose that saw a gut pile
associate it with there buddies demise.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Never seemed to bother anything for me. Courtesy to the land owner is foremost concern. Usually gone in a day from the critters.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, thanks y'all... was just wonderin' in case I get something on the ground come Sept thru Feb... I have trail cam pics of Coyotes and the other day, I found Coyote scat in a Deer bed... wish they'd pick on the Raccoons!

Corky

·
Banned
546 Posts
Okay, thanks y'all... was just wonderin' in case I get something on the ground come Sept thru Feb... I have trail cam pics of Coyotes and the other day, I found Coyote scat in a Deer bed... wish they'd pick on the Raccoons!

Corky
Sept thru Feb!!!

Ok!!! That's it.... I'm moving to Arkansas... :crazy:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Saw an episode of North American Whitetail where they put a trail cam on a gut pile, All sorts of critters visited including a doe who actually ate some ot it.
A deer will eat any part of the digestive tract that holds undigestested food.
I take the heart, liver and kidneys. Some of the best parts of a deer.

I used to bury gut piles but found no benefit and just extra work as the yotes dug up anything buried anyway.
Now I field dress deer at a ravine away from discovery by the landowner. It's a good location to hunt yotes from as well.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have trail cam pics of Coyotes and the other day, I found Coyote scat in a Deer bed... wish they'd pick on the Raccoons! Corky
They do pick on racoons.............................................just they can climb off the ground to safety.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Deer seem to ignore them. I don't understand that but I've seen it several times. Just the same, I'll drag one a few yards from my stand, downwind of the prevailing wind before I do the deed.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CHU, yup, Arkansas archery season, which includes Xbows, always has, starts Sept 15 and goes to Feb 1... restrictions, during muzzleloader and modern gun, ALL hunters, including archers, are required to wear Hunter Orange, and minimum Xbow must be 125 lbs of pull through out the season. Don't know about Vert bows, never shoot them.

Corky

·
Banned
546 Posts
CHU, yup, Arkansas archery season, which includes Xbows, always has, starts Sept 15 and goes to Feb 1... restrictions, during muzzleloader and modern gun, ALL hunters, including archers, are required to wear Hunter Orange, and minimum Xbow must be 125 lbs of pull through out the season. Don't know about Vert bows, never shoot them.

Corky
Right on, C!

The reason I mention moving to Arkansa is that you have 19.1 deer sq/mi and we have 2.1 deer sq/mi.

I think that would explain why our whitetail deer season is from Oct 1- end Nov. We can use crossbows year round as well...

Here's the kicker! We cannot use our crossbows for the first 3 weeks of the season to hunt whitetails but we can use them to hunt black bear (seasons overlap)... I'm fine with that...lots of bears in my parts and they are good eating! :good:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I never seen where gut piles made any difference. Like others have said, have killed deer close to gut piles. I don't much give a hoot what the landowner thinks either...oh wait, that's me lol. If the pile is in a good spot, I put a game cam over it to see what's eating them. Good mix of coon and coyote with the occasional domestic dog.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hunt about a mile from my truck so I gut the deer where it drops Those guts are heavy. atleast 30 to 40 lbs. lighter and after a mile drag you will be glad you gut em.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I have noticed no effect.....doesn't seem to bother them.

HortonWildman

Reactions: Gwn001

·
610 Posts
We even have an area west of the cabin called Gut Gully! Back in '93 we had such a good gun week there were 7 gut piles within a 50 FOOT stretch of the creek. Number 7 never noticed the remains of the 6 that had gone before him.
As was said, just mind the neighbors!

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
I consider hunting over a gut pile about as appealing as wearing the same underwear for a week. Sure you can do it but why. I've even seen where deer ate the contents of frozen paunch but definitely not included to use same as bait. We haul our kills to a central location close by an outbuilding, where water is available, and field dress, hang them there. Our primary motivation is preventiong scavengers like coyotes, bobcats (wolves here too) from fouling the stand site.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts