Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I joined to learn from you experienced crossbow hunters. I been hunting with recurve and compound bows my whole life. I’ve been pretty successful at it. I am now 67 years old and due to eyesight and muscle not being what it used to I’m going to put crossbow hunting in my arsenal. I live in south Louisiana and hunt mostly on public land. I still use my old man climber and drag my deer out myself. I do use a deer sled for that thank God. Looking forward to learning from y’all.

· Premium Member
Excalibur Assassin 400TD
1,575 Posts
Hello and welcome!

You are in good company. Several of us have been shooting crossbow for over 35 years and before that were shooting verticals. Several of us have health and shoulder issues (some from pulling verticals too long) and are reluctantly re-inventing ourselves to the ranks of arrow slingers Extraordinaires. Most of your previous knowledge is transferable, but there is a learning curve for some stuff. It's all about get'n back in the woods and sling'n arrows.
We're all just slinging arrows. A little faster, a little horizontal, and a whole bunch of fun.
There are some wonderful people here and we can't wait to count you among us.
Welcome, good luck and God bless!

· Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
17,172 Posts
Welcome to the boards.

· Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
17,172 Posts
You can get a Patriot 425 from Walmart for cheap if you wait for the clearance prices (last year was in Febuary) but I believe it sells for @ $355 reg price. I bought mine last year for $250. You can cock and learn to decock with the crank. So far it has been a good bow. I do need to change out the factory string as there is some serving seperation but that's usually expected with factory strings on cheaper crossbows. Theres a few guys here that ties some MEAN strings. My cables still look like new.

My other CP is the Sniper 370. It's bullet-proof! Had it for years and never needed anything other than to replace the factory string. It doesnt come with a crank cocker but I'm sure one can be bought for it.

Just to let you know....I sent both triggers to a guy that's a member here to have the creep removed and the trigger pull lightened up. I also upgraded the scopes on both of them and went with better arrows. IMO theyre fine bows for hunting purposes and plenty accurate at hunting distances (out to 50 yards) & fast enough too. All of my bows have killed deer every year Ive owned them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts