Crossbow Nation banner

221 - 240 of 250 Posts

·
952 Posts
BB & VM, That whole deal with dogs just ERK'S ME!! It justs stinks when you have to defend your self like that while you out hunting deer. I no what I would do and yes a loaded shotgun would be part of that equation!!

·
952 Posts
VM, Yes you are right. For all practical purpose this is a four person team.

·
Registered
41 Posts
dont know if im still on the team or not ive been busy driving big truck over the road. and havent had time to do much of nothing . that being said i owe you all an apology for a lack of communication on my part, and for that im sorry. i am getting ready to hunt the rest of the season so please let me know if im still a member of team, thank you sincerely nelson

·
Registered
535 Posts
Well I'm running out of time, season ends in 20 days. It has rained for several days and today it is 20-25 mph wind with 35mph gusts! :growl: Matter of fact there is a state wide wind advisory until 6:00 PM. If the wind dies down I'll be out tomorrow morning.

·
952 Posts
Well I'm running out of time, season ends in 20 days. It has rained for several days and today it is 20-25 mph wind with 35mph gusts! :growl: Matter of fact there is a state wide wind advisory until 6:00 PM. If the wind dies down I'll be out tomorrow morning.
I understand the running out of time and the weather. VM said he had snow and Its snowing here, We are under a winter storm warning now they are saying 5 + inchs. I wish we could of had snow during my season as we usually do. It has been a weird winter here so far. Did I ever ask what Crossbow you are shooting?? I am curious. I hope the weather straightens out for you in the morning and go get them!!

V

·
0 Posts
Its been very windy n cold been snowing. Never got above 23 degrees today, been cooped up in this cabin all day cept to fire up my gen. to charge battery bank to be online & lights. BB wish you the best on hunting, i just can't take the bad cold n wind anymore. I try to get mine early in the season.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Zrt I'm shooting a TAC 15 with a Timney Trigger, HHA Optimizer, Redfield 3x9, QAD Ultra Rest Pro HDX drop away rest; factory arrows that have been spine tested and indexed, four fletched on a Firenock Aerovane Jig with Duravanes, Firenock lighted nocks and 100 grain G5 Montec CS three fixed blade broadheads.

VM I can't handle the wind and cold either. It hasn't been as cold here as you have, but nothing moves much in these 20-25 mph winds. We did have some spitting snow this afternoon. I've seen a lot of deer, got a couple of pictures of two nice bucks; just haven't got but one decent shot this year. My son did kill a nice seven point when he was here the week between Christmas and New Years (not one of those I got pictures of).

·
952 Posts
Zrt I'm shooting a TAC 15 with a Timney Trigger, HHA Optimizer, Redfield 3x9, QAD Ultra Rest Pro HDX drop away rest; factory arrows that have been spine tested and indexed, four fletched on a Firenock Aerovane Jig with Duravanes, Firenock lighted nocks and 100 grain G5 Montec CS three fixed blade broadheads.

VM I can't handle the wind and cold either. It hasn't been as cold here as you have, but nothing moves much in these 20-25 mph winds. We did have some spitting snow this afternoon. I've seen a lot of deer, got a couple of pictures of two nice bucks; just haven't got but one decent shot this year. My son did kill a nice seven point when he was here the week between Christmas and New Years (not one of those I got pictures of).
Glad to hear your son was successful while hunting with you. That is always a good time hunting with your son!! Ah a TAC15. That is a go fast bow, Just curios how far do you target shoot BH's at?? 50 yards i would think?? I target shoot both of my bows at 50 yards with BH on. If I can hold a 2" group with 3 different arrows with BH's on I am satisfied as I no they group better at less yardage. Well so far they have. I can not take the cold with the wind either guys. Actually I just started researching Base layers. I am tiered of freezing. I bought a set of 2000mg boots last year, Now I am searching for base layers and good gloves that I can shoot with. Minimum 100mg on the gloves and now I found they have 200mg. My 40mg gloves I will use for warmer weather.

V

·
0 Posts
Zrt1200 you keep researching the cold weather stuff & let us knowed whats good fer a fair price. Usually my feet then my hands get cold, then its just a matter of an hr or so i have to come to cabin & hunt another morning

·
Registered
535 Posts
45 yards is the longest shot I can get in my back yard without drastic up or down hill shots. I spent a lot of time adjusting arrows to weigh the same (within 2 tenths of a grain) with both broadheads and field points. They pretty much shoot to the same point of aim. 45 yards at a deer is a long shot I think.

I'd be interested in hearing your search results. I'm pretty limited on boots since I have to have a build up on my right shoe.

The wind didn't die down as much as I had hoped this morning, so I stayed inside. Maybe tomorrow?

·
952 Posts
Well, For socks you you want at least 65% merino wool. Here's a link to what I wear and its the best I have found. Once you bring the page up look at contents and care as it will tell you what material is in it. Also over on the RH side check out the (sock finder). One thing I need to get yet for my feet is a thin wick away liner because my feet sweat.

http://www.foxsox.com/catalog/product.aspx?type=subcategory&sortorder=stylenumber&code=TREK&selectedstyle=2097

·
Crazy Ol' Foole
2,497 Posts
I've been wearing bamboo socks.
They wear like iron, are as soft as cashmere, don't crush down like cotton, and wick/disperse moisture very well. Under a pair of wool socks they keep my feet as warm as anything else ever has.

On my hands, I prefer Thinsulate insulated wool. Fox River makes some mitten gloves that are about perfect. I can sneak my trigger finger out when needed, and I can peel the mitten part back if I need more fingers, but otherwise your fingers stay together keeping each other warm.

·
952 Posts
I've been wearing bamboo socks.
They wear like iron, are as soft as cashmere, don't crush down like cotton, and wick/disperse moisture very well. Under a pair of wool socks they keep my feet as warm as anything else ever has.

On my hands, I prefer Thinsulate insulated wool. Fox River makes some mitten gloves that are about perfect. I can sneak my trigger finger out when needed, and I can peel the mitten part back if I need more fingers, but otherwise your fingers stay together keeping each other warm.
Thanks OL, I will check them out. I just finished my research on insulated long johns. Every one says there's are the best bla, bla, bla. There is a fair amount of difference depending were you look. Every one use to say synthetics and the move now is to Merino Wool. I had to do about 3 hour of research today to find any thing decent for a reasonable price as most are $80. + per pair. That was not in my price range and I think my searching is going to pay off as I paid $42 for 2 different pairs. I ended up ordering coldpruf products. If you go to there web site I ordered a set of AUTHENTIC WOOL PLUS and a set of PLATINUM. The platinum are supposed to have a better wick away so I figured I would try those out rabbit hunting this winter while I am walking around. There was a few others that were in this price range with some cheaper and some more expensive but i decided on these. I ordered them from the Sock company and the link will have a bunch of brand names. I considered the Indera/Icetex as well as those are made for ice fishing and that is how I found the coldpruf. After I get a chance to try them I will let you know how they do.

http://www.coldpruf.com/products.asp

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/sockco/sockco-brands.htm

·
952 Posts
I just talked to a guy I know tonight about 4 miles from here and close to where I hunt. He shot 6 coyotes yesterday and said there is at least 3 more packs he knows of!! I had a hunch last year after I came across a deer carcass that was just shredded. Now I know why I did not see the deer this year as in years past. I asked my boy do you want to go Yote hunting with the rifle or shotgun?? I just got the date set Feb 1 for my shoulder surgery so I should be in great shape for next years hunt!!

V

·
0 Posts
OK Team, i have 7 days & a wake-up til i leave out heading south fer the hog hunt. Anyone still hunting ?

·
Registered
535 Posts
OK Team, i have 7 days & a wake-up til i leave out heading south fer the hog hunt. Anyone still hunting ?
I've got until the last day of January to deer hunt. I'm seeing deer, but since gun season opened nothing within bow range! And the weather has been crummy!

·
952 Posts
VM & BB I hope you guys score a nice one. I tried out those AUTHENTIC WOOL PLUS insulated long johns today and I have to say they worked very well. I almost hate to say this but they are as good as my Bib's. The only problem is they are 1 size to big for me, I ordered what they said off of the sizing chart and they are big unless they shrink when you wash them 40% wool?? I will call on Monday and find out. I have not took the other set out of the package so we will see. As far as ordering from that company they were pretty fast getting them here but I will see how they act if I need to return these for a smaller size.

V

·
0 Posts
Too bad couldn't get 2 scored as i would shoot 2 of them fer the pts! Maybe next yr i can afford a Ram or Exotic Deer hunt!

·
952 Posts
Well, For socks you you want at least 65% merino wool. Here's a link to what I wear and its the best I have found. Once you bring the page up look at contents and care as it will tell you what material is in it. Also over on the RH side check out the (sock finder). One thing I need to get yet for my feet is a thin wick away liner because my feet sweat.

http://www.foxsox.com/catalog/product.aspx?type=subcategory&sortorder=stylenumber&code=TREK&selectedstyle=2097
Guys, I was at Meijers last week and walk through there hunting department. They had Bushmaster Sock liners on sale. 2 pairs for $2.50 and for that price I gave them a try. Wow I am impressed. Between the sock liners that wick all the moisture away from your feet and keeping you foot dry and good merino wool socks my feet were toasty out snowmobiling. When I took my boots off the socks were damp from sweat but the liner and my feet were dry and warm. I will stop again today and see if they have more because this set up works!!

V

·
0 Posts
Thats sounds like warm feet, nothing worse than sweating feet that freeze after yer walk into yer stand.

221 - 240 of 250 Posts