Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 341 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys
, I thought I would start a new thread on this build as I am starting over from the test I did in the other thread .
So I ordered some aluminum , but was thinking about the riser and the aluminum I ordered will not work .
However I do have the right block of aluminum in my shop , so decided while I was waiting on the aluminum for the barrel I will get the new riser built . Ok that is enough typing the word Aluminum ,LOL.

Anyway , I have been thinking on it's design and what I wanted as far as width and limb angle .
so I come to the conclusion I wanted a tad wider ATA and less limb angle in the riser . more of a parallel limb set up .
So I laid it out this Morn out of a 3 x 1.5 inch block of aluminum .
I first made the cut outs . and drilled 2 holes all the way through the block , these will be used to bolt the 2 halves back together after I cut them in half .
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

After I did that i cut the block in half .
Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Rectangle Bumper

I then put them in the mill and cleaned up the band saw marks and made both halves the same thickness .
I then flipped them over and milled in slots for where I will mount my barrel .
then bolted together and cut the front of the riser .
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

Rectangle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Composite material

I then put both pieces in the mill , barrel slot down and milled them down to fit my limb pockets ,
then chamfered both side edges and the front of the riser , bottom and top .
Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design Motor vehicle Gas

I then put them in the mill and drilled and tapped the limb bolt holes and the limb pocket mounting screws and put it together to get my NEW Static ATA .
Luggage and bags Bag Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Magenta

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok time to figure out new string and cable lengths .
I will explane , Static ATA is the bows ATA unstrung , first thing i ever do is when i pull one of my bows down i measure the ATA unstrung ( static ATA )
and record it in a book . the stock XP static ATA is 16.25 .
My new Static ATA is 16.75 so 1/2 inch wider , pretty easy math here !! So I made a string 1/2 inch longer and a set of cables 1/4 inch longer .
this will keep me on the factory total limb flex number .
I then bolted in the 2 post that go in between the riser halves and strung it up .
I bet now you can figure where the barrel will be mounted ,LOL.
Now if that darn aluminum for the barrel and trigger tech trigger would just get here I would be on my way .
now we wait !!!!!
Luggage and bags Bag Strap Fashion accessory Composite material

Automotive tire Grass Auto part Automotive wheel system Wire

Luggage and bags Automotive exterior Musical instrument accessory Auto part Bag

Automotive exterior Grass Gas Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Again, great craftsmanship! Cannot wait to see the completed project.

·
Banned
Let's Go Hunting!
2,827 Posts
Burky do you use different types of aluminum for different parts like rail, riser, etc? Also if you dont mind I wondered about material cost.
Like the 3×1.5 chunk the riser is built from?
Just curious.
I cant wait to see how this rig turns out. You are the official crossbow hot rodder of CN!
Take care
Oncebitten

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Burky do you use different types of aluminum for different parts like rail, riser, etc? Also if you dont mind I wondered about material cost.
Like the 3×1.5 chunk the riser is built from?
Just curious.
I cant wait to see how this rig turns out. You are the official crossbow hot rodder of CN!
Take care
Oncebitten
The bar was $35.00 the 2 pieces for the barrels , was around $119 delivered .
I use 6061 T6 for everything .

·
Registered
MK-XB58 Kraken / Hawke 3-9x50 parallax, mildot
2,841 Posts
seeing that riser made me desire for one with less weight

think it would be fairly easy to lose 2-3lb from my mk-xb58 (amped) from both riser and "lower/reciever"

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Down here in Tn, we use AL, not because we want to, but we have to, LOL.

Nice build Tim!!!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
seeing that riser made me desire for one with less weight

think it would be fairly easy to lose 2-3lb from my mk-xb58 (amped) from both riser and "lower/reciever"
Fly!...Dont get any ideas and go hacking up your Kracken! 😳 Good lord man, try and keep your body parts intact!...I really fear for you sometimes. 😬🤯🤣

1 - 20 of 341 Posts