Crossbow Nation banner
101 - 120 of 198 Posts

·
2,710 Posts
Exactly which crossbow is Old Flyer’s original X25?
Just so you know, the "X" in the X25 stands for an "X" fletch (4-vanes). The 25 just stands for 25" total length.
The ORIGINAL prototypes had the balanced cable system (which TOTALLY eliminates cam lean and limb twist) and had the "X" fletch but were longer than 25" in length.
Both prototypes had standard cams and the strings compression levers like the original Killer Instinct SWAT bow. My first proto had a 23" power stroke and 80 peak pound limbs (Silver bow in photo). A 12 year old could cock it by hand. My starting thoughts were to have a crossbow that got equal performance with much less poundage through a longer power stroke which eliminates all those annoying cocking devices. The second "X" bow had a 20" power stroke and was 130 peak pounds (walnut wood finished bow). But, since the trend has been leaning towards smaller, Killer Instinct opted for reverse cams and HIGH poundage limbs which eliminated the string compression levers but also made it impossible to cock by hand. Bow is better looking, but still not the "X" fletch with the balanced cable system. This is what Burky is trying to show all of you now.

This "X" fletch design and balanced cable system can be used in standard and reverse draw style bows. What I do not understand is why some do not see the SIMPLE geometry involved that eliminates decades of issues. It's just beyond me.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Hey, when you have suffered as long as we have, it is what it is.:eek:
At least they got rid of "Stafford the Kneeler”. I saw that opening day of 2019 - turned the channel andi never watched them the rest of the year.

I did start to watch after they traded him - hope he gets whipped in the playoffs.

I’ve been a season ticket at Michigan since 1973, got to watch Tom Brady play.

Go Bucs. (y)

Whoops - apology for jumping the shark.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I also did some more drilling and milling , got her down to 6.4 lbs as is in the pick .
i need to do more yet but ran out of time .
View attachment 216379
This x25 is epic.
What is your estimate on the weight of the upper barrel?
Also. How’s the string angle going be? Seems narrow compared to the 2 prototypes and they have a tensioner(for lack of a better term from me) will you need something similar?

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
This x25 is epic.
1.5 lbs or slightly lighter , the lower barrel weighs 2.1 lbs , I think when done around 1.8 .
I also have some areas in the riser to loose some weight as well .

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
This x25 is epic.
Also. How’s the string angle going be? Seems narrow compared to the 2 prototypes and they have a tensioner(for lack of a better term from me) will you need something similar?
I think you mean cable angle , and that is yet to be determined .
I want to get it together and cock it , more cable angle creates cam lean , so I started heavy with the spacing so I can take it off if need be .
kind of like tuning the cam lean out .

No tensioner needed .

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
This x25 is epic.
Wait , I just got your question , I am slow sometimes ,lol.
this bow is only 1/2 inch wider ATA than stock XP so no need for a tensioner or what they are called is string tension levers .

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Tim, when I see what you are doing, I continue to be amazed. When I work on my own projects, by comparison, I feel like the caveman from the Geico commercial.
No way Jeff , you do good work .
I have seen it !!
Did you get that riser ?

·
2,710 Posts
I think you mean cable angle , and that is yet to be determined .
I want to get it together and cock it , more cable angle creates cam lean , so I started heavy with the spacing so I can take it off if need be .
kind of like tuning the cam lean out .

No tensioner needed .
When each cable is the same angle and pressure equadistent above and below the string, there is no cam lean. That's the "balance" part. That's the whole idea....

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
When each cable is the same angle and pressure equadistent above and below the string, there is no cam lean. That's the "balance" part. That's the whole idea....
Yes , but if you have to much angle it pulls on the cable hanger differently , at least it does in this cam set up .
I had it perfect in my test bow and i am starting with those measurements , just want to be safe , easier to take it off than put it back on ,lol.

101 - 120 of 198 Posts