Crossbow Nation banner
121 - 140 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
When each cable is the same angle and pressure equadistent above and below the string, there is no cam lean. That's the "balance" part. That's the whole idea....
Yep. This I understand.
My question was not completely understood as it was not clearly spoken. I’m not the best at putting my thoughts into words and I always say I skipped terminology day and went to work instead 😂

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Yep. This I understand.
My question was not completely understood as it was not clearly spoken. I’m not the best at putting my thoughts into words and I always say I skipped terminology day and went to work instead 😂
Ditto !!

Reactions: One eyed archer

·
2,710 Posts
Yes , but if you have to much angle it pulls on the cable hanger differently , at least it does in this cam set up .
I had it perfect in my test bow and i am starting with those measurements , just want to be safe , easier to take it off than put it back on ,lol.
That's the part and measurements and shim thicknesses that need to be implemented to where the loop end of each cable is symmetrical at all points above and below the very middle between the upper and lower limbs.

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
That is Oldflyer original. This build is 1/2" narrower than Tom's xp, or at least that is what he reported during the build process.
Actually this bow I went 1/2 wider so around 9.75 cocked .

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Well I milled the bottom half of the barrel on a chamfer today , drilled a few holes in the riser , I am going to do more but I need to get string stop post installed
then I will drill what I can for weight loss .I spent the rest of the day making fine adjustments to the stirrup and trigger linkage .
Beside the string stop posts I am ready to make the top barrel on Mon when the aluminum gets here , probably be Tues .
I got the bow down to 6.03 lbs Hopefully the top barrel will be around a pound , then the stock is about .70 lbs .
so I think with a scope rail added the bow will be around 7.7 to 8 lbs . not bad , I can live with that .
Gauge Measuring instrument Gadget Gas Bicycle accessory

Picture frame Lighting Interior design Wood Window

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Spoke Automotive exterior

Aircraft Automotive tire Toy airplane Aviation Vehicle

Light Picture frame Wood Interior design Machine

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
I thought I read it was a 1/2" something. So you went for the wide body, eh? LOL
Yeah narrow is neat but when you get to narrow cable angles get higher .
I like where I got this one 9..5 to 10 is my wheel house .

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
That seems like a huge amount of limb flex...maybe I am not using correct term. My xbow goes from 16.5 to 11.5
Not sure what you read , but that 17 ATA might have been the static ATA ( unstrung ) .

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Page 5, what is actual ata,s
Ok I am with you now ,lol.
That was Old flyers bow and no 7-1/8 is not that bad of limb flex , Scorpyds are at 11 inches , the X1 is at 6.9375 .
just depends on the limb , cam and draw length .

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
That seems like a huge amount of limb flex...maybe I am not using correct term. My xbow goes from 16.5 to 11.5
I would also like to say total limb flex is really determined by the draw stroke and how much limb flex the cam generates in that draw stoke .
short draw stroke bows with heavy poundage will have more pre load and less limb flex in the short cock cycle .
One of the big reasons I like the Scorps is they have very little preload and they use most of the limb flex in the draw cycle 7 or so inches in total .
They are more efficient using the limb .
Your bow is using 5 inches in that draw cycle but has probably 2 to 3inches of preload .
In the race for shorter bows , draw strokes have de creased and limb pre load and draw poundage has increased .

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
I did a bunch more milling and drilling , right now there is 170 holes in this bow ,LOL.
I match fit the rear but plate , drilled the trigger linkage bar , and did a little more milling on the barrel .
I also installed the string stop posts .and fine tuned the arrow lever by making the lock slot longer and turned down the peg end .
with adding the string stop posts and lightening as much as I could i got a tad heavier , but not much .
now I am ready to make the top barrel .
One more thing I forgot to show a pick of is where the cable passes through the barrel .
I milled in angles and rounded the center so the cable has a nice path through the barrel .
Automotive tire Hood Tire Crankset Audio equipment

every ounce helps ,LOL
Tire Automotive tire Hood Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Tool Bicycle part Bumper Finger

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Rim Automotive design Bicycle part

Light Motor vehicle Gauge Automotive lighting Measuring instrument

White Black Hand tool Tool Ratchet

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
That's really going to be something when finished Tim! Making Oldflyer proud I'd say!!!

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
Burky, is there any bow that you CANT build? I'm amazed at your knowledge and the work you do.:)

121 - 140 of 198 Posts