Should we call them arrows or bolts?

·
Banned
258 Posts
Arrows is fine with me,bolts are shot out of the medevil type,arrows you buy
from an archery shop,bolts from L---s,ooops!Sorry about that!:D

·
1,222 Posts
When the projectiles are in the 16" to 22" length, have the same fletchings, have the same tips as...."arrows"....they are arrows.

As coyote170 notes...
While...granted, my Wyvern Medieval "bolt" is 20" long...it only has "two"..."feathers" rather than three. And cannot have a third added. In the normal mannor anyway!
Also the tip is a pretty massive piece of steel that is glued and pinned in place. It looks sorta like the many tips of mace or other implement of destruction....and very sharp.
So...I have both "arrows" AND "bolts" for my crossbows.

Mike

·
11,423 Posts
My personal opinion

is we should not call them bolts because technically they are arrows but the biggest reason (IMO) is that by calling them bolts when talking to vertical bow folks, quite a few of them being anti-crossbow people, we only serve to reinforce their opinion that crossbows are not archery and bolts are not arrows:rolleyes: This may seem like nitpicking to some but I say we should not give them even the slightest satisfaction by calling crossbow arrows bolts. When my crossbow friends and I discuss crossbows we even call them "bows", especially when we are around folks we know are not fans of crossbows :)

·
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed Moonkryket.
Don't they still shoot short range indoor targets with all metal bolts without fletchings?

Attachments

·
Banned
364 Posts
I think we call them what they are, "Arrows" . What Moon stated has a lot of creedence, No sense giving those against crossbows any words/names to key in on!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Moonkryket said:
is we should not call them bolts because technically they are arrows but the biggest reason (IMO) is that by calling them bolts when talking to vertical bow folks, quite a few of them being anti-crossbow people, we only serve to reinforce their opinion that crossbows are not archery and bolts are not arrows:rolleyes: This may seem like nitpicking to some but I say we should not give them even the slightest satisfaction by calling crossbow arrows bolts. When my crossbow friends and I discuss crossbows we even call them "bows", especially when we are around folks we know are not fans of crossbows :)
Amen!!

~HF~

·
Registered
22 Posts
I still think they should be arrows.I sometimes use the term"bolts" only because I dont know the exact answer.
Lets vote on it:D:D
I use bolts to hold my ragged ol truck together.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've called them bolts since I started shooting crussbows in the mid 70's with a Daco Wasp. I know the difference between a bolt and quarrel and arrow. I still like the old terms, but I can use them as the need rises. With my xbow friends its bolts, with antis its arrows.

ARROW - Synonym for bolt which is preferred by some modern crossbow manufacturers.

BOLT - Short projectile for crossbow resembling arrow.

QUARREL- Bolt with four-sided head; often used as synonym for bolt.

·
38 Posts
With all the anti-crossbow forces declaring "crossbows aren't archery!" I think ARROWS are the only choice. If it's an ARROW that kills the game, how's it NOT archery?

·
342 Posts
I consider them arrows, bolts are ancient.

·
1,071 Posts
Bows use Arrows

I agree that we need to use the word arrow and not bolt. Because when you think about it; recurve bows use arrows, long bows use arrows, compound bows use arrows so cross bows use arrows. My point being we all shoot BOWS and ARROWS they just have a different prefix before the important word BOW. So arrows has my vote and all of us BOW shooters and hunters need to unite and stop fighting each other and fight for the common good of bowhunting before some anti hunting group gets it taken away from us. Lets fight them and not each other!

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Actual Neighbor Questions?

My next door neighbor who knows nothing about Hunting,shooting ,fishing and many of the other finer things of life,was watching me across the fence shooting my Crossbow.

He called out to me,what is that thing you are shooting,I replied,my Bow.
Oh he says,and what do you call the things going in to the circle on that mattress.

I said,thats not a mattress,that is my target.
And those things going in to the circle are my arrows going into the bullseye.

Is that string thing hard to pull back,looks like it?,Takes both hands and a leg

Yes , I said pretty hard.

Have you ever really shot anything with A contraption like that.

Yes.
Where did you hit it?
Heart,mostly.
Did it kill it?

Yes.

Can I come over and shoot it?

Sorry,I have to go in for now.

As I entered the back door ,my wife was laughing loudly.

She had been listening.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts