Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hanging on to a Horton Scope (probably made by Hawke) that came on my Horton Vision 175 from back in the day.
I stopped using it because the illumination stopped working. Or so I thought.
I put a new battery in it today and it works.
Must of had some bad batteries back then.
I love this scope and will find a way to put it back to use.
Probably won't work on newer bows shooting over 350 fps unless the speed ring is turned all the way to 7 power which is too high for 20 to 30 yds shots. I think the 175 only shot around 300 fps. My number 4 B/U bow shoots around 350.

·
5,049 Posts
Glad it’s working again for you. I bought an unlit Horton scope based on Stalker’s posts. I liked it so much, I bought two more. Definitely best with 350 ish and less, but clear, bright, and much sharper than any of the usual crossbow scopes I’ve owned (Trophy Ridge 525, TP Rangemaster, Excal Tact zone, Hawke XB 30). Low light performance is just a tick better than my Leupold 2-7 shotgun scope due to easier to see reticle. The only scope I’ve had that’s better in low light is the Vortex XBR.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
or maybe the battery was backwards. I have a scope that only works with the battery facing one direction.

·
5,049 Posts
This is the unlit version. No problem seeing reticle several minutes outside of legal time here (1/2 hour before sunrise and after sunset). The bold reticle makes fine aiming at dots a bit more challenging, but it stands out even on dark 3D targets and is great on deer. As I said before, the XBR is better, but really only gives more time outside of legal limits and has a bit of a clarity edge. The subtentions are also dead on. (y)

Wood String instrument Tints and shades Circle Symmetry

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the unlit version. No problem seeing reticle several minutes outside of legal time here (1/2 hour before sunrise and after sunset). The bold reticle makes fine aiming at dots a bit more challenging, but it stands out even on dark 3D targets and is great on deer. As I said before, the XBR is better, but really only gives more time outside of legal limits and has a bit of a clarity edge. The subtentions are also dead on. (y)

View attachment 226044
Mine is different. The only continuous horizontal line is the first reticle in the center of the scope. All marks after that are small crosshairs, not side to side lines. Makes for a less cluttered view.
Model #SS320, 2X7.

Reactions: Stalker and JOE PA

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Ive got 2, SS320 Hortons made by Hawke. Been using them for years. Even at 350-360 fps the mag is only turned up to 4-5X which works great for me.

I have one of the non lit versions as well that works well on my pellet rifle.
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Terrestrial animal

The ret lines are a little smaller on the lit version SS320. They also had SS 320 and SS331 versions that were not made by Hawke and are a little larger and heavier but still work well.

These are both Horton/Hawke SS 320's. They say made by Hawke on the bottom. And say Hawke on the glass
Camouflage Military camouflage Wood Grass Geological phenomenon
Plant Grass Groundcover Sculpture Art

This is a non lit camo SS330 not made by Hawke. The same as the SS331 but in camo.
Green Grass Biome Gas Wood

·
Registered
963 Posts
That's great those seem to be decent scopes we've proved several years ago you don't have to use the best scopes out there to kill deer. I know it's nice to have the best you can buy but it's usually a preference rather than a necessity. Congrats on bringing it back to life.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's great those seem to be decent scopes we've proved several years ago you don't have to use the best scopes out there to kill deer. I know it's nice to have the best you can buy but it's usually a preference rather than a necessity. Congrats on bringing it back to life.
When Horton went out of business, Ebay was flooded with these scopes. Could be had for real cheap. The glass is great. I didn't have the nerve to chuck mine when I thought the illumination quit. I'm glad I kept it.

·
5,049 Posts
When Horton went out of business, Ebay was flooded with these scopes. Could be had for real cheap. The glass is great. I didn't have the nerve to chuck mine when I thought the illumination quit. I'm glad I kept it.
I wish I could find an ss320, but I’m fine with the 331s. I’ve never minded the horizontal lines, on these or the RMP that I had, but each of us has different preferences. I got mine off ebay for under $70 each. Looking through them, and most moderately priced alternatives, they are a great bargain. (y)

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wish I could find an ss320, but I’m fine with the 331s. I’ve never minded the horizontal lines, on these or the RMP that I had, but each of us has different preferences. I got mine off ebay for under $70 each. Looking through them, and most moderately priced alternatives, they are a great bargain. (y)
If I can't find a spot for it on one of my crossbows, I'll let you know.

Reactions: Stalker and JOE PA
1 - 12 of 12 Posts