Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a great day! God blessed us with great, sunshine weather. It was my first time back on a 3d course in 10 years. Thats how long I've been shooting crossbows and they haven't been allowed on the course. I have been missing it the last few years.

They made a crossbow class at 3 of the 4 clubs in the local circuit so I decided to jump in. That has been my plan all fall and I was able to follow through. We go by ASA rules here. Low 12's, 330fps max speed with .03% margin of error. 40yd known distance. I don't have all my equipment yet. Today I shot judging yardage and gap shooting with a Hawke Vantage.

I have an HHA Tetra XB on order and will be getting a range finder soon. I will be posting up the Tetra shortly after I get it in but it's going to be about another month before they start shipping. It's an even better version than the current Optimizer because it has a bracket where you can add a light to your sight tape.

I will also be shooting a vertical bow some this year as well. Anyway....I wanted to encourage any of you that have a crossbow class available where you are, take advantage of it! It's a great way to be involved in the sport when you can't hunt. Even if its just you and some buddies shooting some fun rounds get out there if you can!

I will admit I was somewhat concerned when I did this because I was the only shooter there with a crossbow but I had no negative remarks made and I talked to everyone I could. Just remember to be an ambassador for our sport! Some people may not like you shooting a crossbow but take the high road! There is nothing wrong with making our case for crossbow inclusion but if you find yourself in that situation attitude is everything. Happy shooting :)

Wildlife Deer Terrestrial animal Antelope Grass

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Sounds like you had a good time.

I loved shooting 3d. None of the clubs around me have xbow classes but my understanding is they are losing shooters so eventually they might reconsider.

·
Registered
879 Posts
My family and I just got back home from the West Virginia State IBO Championship. I shot my crossbow there. I didn’t hear any negative comments. ( My hearing stinks though too) I had a ton of fun. Glad to see someone else getting out and shooting. Most clubs around my area have opened up for crossbow, there are a few people that aren’t fond, but for the most part people are ok with them.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My family and I just got back home from the West Virginia State IBO Championship. I shot my crossbow there. I didn’t hear any negative comments. ( My hearing stinks though too) I had a ton of fun. Glad to see someone else getting out and shooting. Most clubs around my area have opened up for crossbow, there are a few people that aren’t fond, but for the most part people are ok with them.
Very nice! They already having a state championship? We don’t usually have one here until summer

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Pins, that is outstanding. Good luck and wish you the best in this type of shooting. Go get'em and keep us posted.

Reactions: pinshooter

·
Registered
879 Posts
Very nice! They already having a state championship? We don’t usually have one here until summer
It was their indoor championship. West Virginia IBO has a state triple crown championship, and they are going in with Ohio, and Kentucky to create a Tri-State Championship. Huntington Archery Club is involved in both. They seem like a great group of people. The Great American Outdoor show in Harrisburg is my next match. Then I am going to shoot the IBO indoor worlds the week after. The Ohio State ASA points series kick off the first week in March. I love hunting, but I actually enjoy 3D archery season more!

·
13,230 Posts
Ambassador? … I shoot in some parks in ultra-liberal communities. Up until now, almost every contact with a hiker, biker or dog walker has turned into a friendly question and answer tutorial. Takes time, and screws up my "be up in the tree by" plan, but every opportunity to show hunting and/or the DMP as positive, beneficial and humane is well worth the time it takes. That's one reason that I don't put on any camo clothing until I'm at the tree. I'm more approachable and innocuous that way. Unfortunately the camo clad hunter has been stereotyped and non-camo disarms that barrier. At all times, in all places … we are ambassadors of what we represent.

One more interesting finding; every dog walker I've run into is concerned for their dog's safety! Just last Monday I spent 30 minutes with a well educated professional 50 year old on a bicycle. During the tutorial he mentioned "if you see a Labrador Retriever loose" … he didn't even get to finish when he saw the incredulous look come on my face, followed by a blurted out "never in a million years would that be a problem!" (I've seen his big yellow Labrador on camera. You couldn't accidently shoot that dog in the pitch dark; but the guy still had the thought in his mind.)

My point is that Pin taking the time to represent crossbower to vertical archers is: "WE" don't really understand what they have in their heads already. Preconceived notions. We know all the facts and fallacies, but they DON'T! Many of them have "fears." Like dog owner's fears, it's our duty to the community to allay those crossbow fears. Kudos to Pin.

Somehow, 3D and crossbows doesn't work for me. I brace 99.9% of my shoulder fired shots. By the nature of the platform, all our vertical bow shots are freehand. 3D was freehand training for me. With a crossbow? Not sure what I'd get out of it.

·
SE VA
13,745 Posts
Pin, stick with it:). I was allowed to shoot my crossbow non competitively in a few local tournaments about 12 years ago. I was the only one and didn’t get many comments from vertical bow shooters. I finally stopped going as age was catching up with me.

I love shooting offhand so it was no problem for me. I was shooting an Excal Vortex at the time. Roy Meditz (Vaguru) came down and shot with me one time.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was their indoor championship. West Virginia IBO has a state triple crown championship, and they are going in with Ohio, and Kentucky to create a Tri-State Championship. Huntington Archery Club is involved in both. They seem like a great group of people. The Great American Outdoor show in Harrisburg is my next match. Then I am going to shoot the IBO indoor worlds the week after. The Ohio State ASA points series kick off the first week in March. I love hunting, but I actually enjoy 3D archery season more!
Nice! I'm the worlds worst dot shooter so I stay away from indoor LOL

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys! Duke it's just for fun :) It makes me a better shooter, keeps me in hunting mode year round and I get to connect with both new and old friends. Ran into a guy on the course yesterday that I shot 3d with 20yr ago in the vertical class.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pin, stick with it:). I was allowed to shoot my crossbow non competitively in a few local tournaments about 12 years ago. I was the only one and didn’t get many comments from vertical bow shooters. I finally stopped going as age was catching up with me.

I love shooting offhand so it was no problem for me. I was shooting an Excal Vortex at the time. Roy Meditz (Vaguru) came down and shot with me one time.
Will do Moon :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Nice Pin. We hope this gains momentum. That's why we're running the 3D series in the magazine by Matt. I shot 3D back in the 90's with a compound and really enjoyed it. My local crossbow 3D experiences haven't been the same. The bows are too fast & powerful and take a lot of the fun out of it. I hate lubing arrows pre shot and trying to dig them out of the targets at every station. That is if the targets even hold them.

·
13,230 Posts
Nice Pin. We hope this gains momentum. That's why we're running the 3D series in the magazine by Matt. I shot 3D back in the 90's with a compound and really enjoyed it. My local crossbow 3D experiences haven't been the same. The bows are too fast & powerful and take a lot of the fun out of it. I hate lubing arrows pre shot and trying to dig them out of the targets at every station. That is if the targets even hold them.
You needs … one of dem slow bow recurves...lol:p Setup and dedicated to the 3D game.:D;)

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have an Aculeus with 135# limbs with is perfect for the new IBO speed limit with 450 grain arrows. I’ll probably run an Aculeus with 110 pound limbs for ASA. Jerry’s Nemesis with 90# limbs shooting 406 grain arrows is also perfect for ASA velocities. Much easier to cock than the recurves.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I am glad to see you featuring 3D archery. I keep meaning to subscribe. I’ll try to do that soon.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.