Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin was up working on the deer tower this weekend and got a few shots of one of the local gals:

Attachments

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Purdy!

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually this one is a breeder. She has 1 young one that I will take a crack at next year if it isn't a button buck.
There are 3 1.5 year olds I have my label on. Otherwise this girl gets the sanctuary stamp from everyone hunting this property. I think she will be 2.5 this season.

The sad part is we can't control what the neighbors are shooting. There is one girl that is approaching 4.5 years old this year and she is smarter than the bucks. Her group almost always survives the hunting season. I wanted to take her out last year because of her ability to elude and teach the others to elude. I talked myself out of it because the neighbors will hunt if it is brown it's down style and shoot everything. She gave birth to twins this year and had 2 other does with single babies running in her pack. I hope they all make it. We try to maintain matriarchs. I hope and pray that old gal dies of natural causes now.

The fact this one is a loner and made it past 1.5 (even with me hunting her) I hope she is the next matriarch. I feel it is important to maintain the older breeding age does that are smarter than the rest. I wanted to kill the smart ones that taught others to elude me but now I know better. They are needed to survive the slaughter of the deer hunting season.

Our goals limit bucks to genetic defects and 5.5 years plus. And our doe harvests are for 1.5 year olds only. Any baby that survives 2 hunting seasons walks as does their mother. That preserves the resource from the hunter that has the brown down mindset.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts