Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, ya'll, I'm a green-horn on Crossbow Nation but what a day it was yesterday!!

I did not go in the AM but slipped in for a PM sit and am still trying to get comfortable with a crossbow. I wanted to make sure that this first hunt had me entering the stand in full daylight. Before the elbow injury, I had a routine with my compound for everything - the way it was attached to my pack, the way I climbed, my order of steps once I hit the stand, where it hung at the ready, etc. After getting as settled as I could, I sat in eager anticipation.

About 20 minutes in, my heart sank.

My only crossbow is a beat-up Parker Tornado Xxtreme that I used for a men's ministry - going to upgrade to a Wicked Ridge soon. I noticed one of the E-clip washers was missing and the pin had almost slipped through the limb. I thought about leaving because I was worried about everything coming apart under that pressure. I decided to try something, so I switched to my decocking arrow, held it away from me, turned my head, and pulled the trigger. Everything held together and I breathed a sigh of relief. I sat back down and pushed everything together and recocked - the pin stayed in place - so I continued to hunt. Yes, probably not the smartest thing to do BUT I'm going to the hardware store today to see if I can find that washer.

A really little 6 point came out and a big, momma doe with her little fawn. I watched that doe run that little buck away and was just chuckling. She owned him! They meandered around for about 30 minutes and their body language changed - especially that of the little buck. I heard a snap of a twig and saw movement through the brush to the right when 2 bigger bucks walked out and my heart started racing.

I had asked in another thread the "comfort level" with a good hunting distance and really listened to those opinions. I decided on 35 yds as my max and, well, he stood there at that distance. I struggled to get in a good shooting position - yeah, I'll admit the buck shakes hit me early and need more practice in the stand with the crossbow. When he turned full broadside, I squeezed the trigger. He ran less than 30 yards and I heard the crash - the shakes really began then.

I called my buddy who owns the property and he was ecstatic for me - we're old high school buddies.

I've never shot a nice buck on opening day. I've never shot a deer with a crossbow. I've never shot a buck in full velvet before. I've never taken one to a taxidermist to have it mounted. After 9-11-21, I cannot say those four things anymore :)

A couple of pictures are below - that was interesting to say the least as my 10 year old was up well past her bedtime but having fun playing with the camera.

Anyway, I know I've got to create my routines and find my shooting position in the lock-on stand. I appreciate the feedback I've already received and cannot wait to learn more from you on Crossbow Nation. Thank you for helping this crossbow newbie put down a really, nice deer for my family (he tipped the scales over 150 after being gutted).

Thanks for reading the story...

Camouflage Military camouflage Hunting Deer hunting Cargo pants
Camouflage Cargo pants Deer hunting Military camouflage Hunting

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
That's a REALLY nice one! Congrats!!!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Cool story with a Happy ending :)
Congratulations. Thats a nice Buck.

Okay, ya'll, I'm a green-horn on Crossbow Nation but what a day it was yesterday!!

I did not go in the AM but slipped in for a PM sit and am still trying to get comfortable with a crossbow. I wanted to make sure that this first hunt had me entering the stand in full daylight. Before the elbow injury, I had a routine with my compound for everything - the way it was attached to my pack, the way I climbed, my order of steps once I hit the stand, where it hung at the ready, etc. After getting as settled as I could, I sat in eager anticipation.

About 20 minutes in, my heart sank.

My only crossbow is a beat-up Parker Tornado Xxtreme that I used for a men's ministry - going to upgrade to a Wicked Ridge soon. I noticed one of the E-clip washers was missing and the pin had almost slipped through the limb. I thought about leaving because I was worried about everything coming apart under that pressure. I decided to try something, so I switched to my decocking arrow, held it away from me, turned my head, and pulled the trigger. Everything held together and I breathed a sigh of relief. I sat back down and pushed everything together and recocked - the pin stayed in place - so I continued to hunt. Yes, probably not the smartest thing to do BUT I'm going to the hardware store today to see if I can find that washer.

A really little 6 point came out and a big, momma doe with her little fawn. I watched that doe run that little buck away and was just chuckling. She owned him! They meandered around for about 30 minutes and their body language changed - especially that of the little buck. I heard a snap of a twig and saw movement through the brush to the right when 2 bigger bucks walked out and my heart started racing.

I had asked in another thread the "comfort level" with a good hunting distance and really listened to those opinions. I decided on 35 yds as my max and, well, he stood there at that distance. I struggled to get in a good shooting position - yeah, I'll admit the buck shakes hit me early and need more practice in the stand with the crossbow. When he turned full broadside, I squeezed the trigger. He ran less than 30 yards and I heard the crash - the shakes really began then.

I called my buddy who owns the property and he was ecstatic for me - we're old high school buddies.

I've never shot a nice buck on opening day. I've never shot a deer with a crossbow. I've never shot a buck in full velvet before. I've never taken one to a taxidermist to have it mounted. After 9-11-21, I cannot say those four things anymore :)

A couple of pictures are below - that was interesting to say the least as my 10 year old was up well past her bedtime but having fun playing with the camera.

Anyway, I know I've got to create my routines and find my shooting position in the lock-on stand. I appreciate the feedback I've already received and cannot wait to learn more from you on Crossbow Nation. Thank you for helping this crossbow newbie put down a really, nice deer for my family (he tipped the scales over 150 after being gutted).

Thanks for reading the story...

View attachment 206371 View attachment 206372

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Congratulations on a great buck and an even better hunting memory to go along with it. You have a talent for writing and I’m looking forward to your future write ups.

Reactions: One eyed archer

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Congrats on a great buck! Great story as well. (y)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Congrats on all the firsts. Obviously you made the shot when it counted and put down a nice "first" X bow buck. We rarely see a buck still in velvet here, so that makes it even sweeter. Well done!

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
Congrats.:) You did good!;):)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Great story I’m glad you had everything turn out great! Now you need another big buck to keep taxidermist busy!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Congrats on your first deer. You'll find your hunting rhythm as you gain more experience. Your doing good so far.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Congrats

·
Registered
Western Wisconsin
1,114 Posts
Congrats on a nice bucks and lots of firsts for you!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Great buck, and great story. Congrats! I hope we see pics of the taxidermy when it comes back. I have never taken a buck in velvet, and frankly, haven't yet seen a buck that I'd consider mounting. I'm mostly a meat hunter, so I take more late season does than anything else--but not for lack of trying! Unfortunately I'm mostly a public land hunter, and the big bucks don't tend to find their way to wherever I happen to be on any given day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts