Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
No doubt, calibrated scope elevators are dead nuts at 60 yards and everything in between. It's my opinion that the use of elevators are choice based on hunting conditions. My back stand could produce a need for 50 yard shot. However my front stand limits to 20-25 yards. Would I take a shot with my multi reticle out to 50? Nope. Would I be able to pull down on a deer at 25 yards with an elevator and 3x9 scope? Not me, field of view is difficult to be comfortable if a snap shot was required.

Some may disagree. That's why I have two TS370's. One for the front stand, one for the rear. (or at least that's what I told the wife when I bought the second) eh Tom!! LOL

Reactions: KTownKiller

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I'm having 60X make a string to replace the cable with serving across the rail. I used the cable to accurately size the the length. Whats cool about it is the fact you can adjust the cam lean, ATA with the press mounted. Tighten the TB by hand, make or take a twist on cable/string then loosen to measure the result of the adjustment without the need to remove the press.
I have a few enhancements to make that will make it an excellent tool. Once I get the strings from 60X I'll contact you so we can arrange getting you one. Stay "tuned"......

Thanks to BR's guidance this came to life. THANK YOU BR

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I can't speak for other xbow's but I can for the TS370 and similar compound designs.

With the cables being below the rail height, the angle of approach of the yoke makes the bottom yoke cable longer because of this angle. It may take as much as three twists to balance the cam angle to be parallel with the rail. I start with one twist and adjust after first measurement. You can verify cam angle with several different methods. IF you put a straightedge across the limbs near the cams, the entire surface of the both limbs should contact the straight edge entirely. Any gap, top edge or bottom edge of either limb, indicates cable adjustment is necessary. If a limb is not parallel to the other then that indicates one of the cables is inducing torque to the limb and off loading the cam and the angle of the cam.

Not everyone has a CMM (coordinate measuring machine) available. I do. This procedure was verified to be an accurate means to balance the limbs and cam. Some may disagree and that's okay. The CMM proved that adjusting the cables is very important to balance (tune) the cams and provide balanced force on the limbs.

I purposefully adjusted all cables to one twist (cam angle was visible). I shot the bow 6 times , same arrow, to find the arrow shot high along with the string having excessive down pressure on the rail. I then added 2-1/2 twists to the bottom yoke string on both left and right, cams now parallel with the rail. String now had .002-.003" under the string to rail. Again shot the bow 6 times, same arrow, to find the arrow flight was 1-1/2" lower than the above mentioned. This was based on 40 yard distance.

There is no "Black Magic" to tuning a bow. Keep things simple: make sure all bow components are square/parallel to each other and the same distance. Doing this yourself provides a better understanding of "tuning" a xbow. Seeing is believing. Hope this helps reduce the fear of replacing string/cables and tuning a xbow for those that haven't experienced it.

Excellent Holidays to All

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.