Crossbow Nation banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is nice (sarcasm). I just got mine back from Burris after sending it in because the level was quite inaccurate. Moving to the left, it said level till it was about 7 degrees out of level and to the right, it said level until about 4 degrees out. Burris said that was out of Spec, so they recalibrated it. Once recalibrated, they said it was corrected and within specs. It should now show as out of level at about 3 degrees. That still is not great in my mind though.

Anyway, the scope came back in the mail yesterday. After seeing this thread today, I put the scope back on the crossbow to see if it was tight or had movement as described in this thread . I remounted it twice and checked the screws to make sure all were tight, which they were.

When mounted, the scope will rock back and forth , left/right and I can visibly see movement where the brackets connect behind the right/left adjustment - circled in the photo

So, I sent another email back to Burris to see their response .

Getting pretty frustrated. I will be curious to see the response I get and others get on this thread.
Feeling rather embarrassed at the moment but after posting the above, I need to clear up the issue with my scope

The movement of the scope is not an issue for my scope anymore . After thinking about a post I made, after the above one, on how the elevation and windage set screws work, I realized they could be the issue. I had not checked those to see if they were tight, only the ones connecting the scope to the bracket and the ones attaching to the bow rail.

When I got home from work, I checked and the elevation set screw was not tightened. Once I tightened it, there was no movement of the scope.

Since those set screws allow for the scope to move for sighting in, it makes sense they need to be tight or the scope can move. I do hope though, the set screws hold up, they are very small.

All though I don’t like the “about 3 degree” level tolerance , I really do like the rest of the scope. I’ll just have to put a bubble level on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::rolleyes::mad: Sounds oddly familiar.
I got the same boiler plate response you did. Can't duplicate, calibrated equipment, etc. I never shot / sighted the bow with the Oracle mounted, took it off and shipped it back immediately. All I can do now is mount it and see what happens. Did you try to sight it in before you sold? If I tell my wife its not working I'll be in divorce court, took a lot of talking to get $900 more for my hunting hobby.

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Mission Sub 1 XR
1,101 Posts
I shot it some before I sent it back. I couldn’t live with the degree of cant in the reticle. Had to move on. Glad I did. Burris, once a proud American company now are in bed with the Chi Comm’s. Never again will I buy a Burris product.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looking at that diagram there are the 2 empty holes on top. They are the screw holes that secure the mount to the scope. I tightened them and it stopped the little bit of movement I had with mine.
This was the problem with my Oracle. Didn't start out loose but after 40 or so shots consistency started going away. Checked all the usual possibilities then started gently wiggling the scope. The reticle would move up and down and left and right.
Some blue loctite and an inch pound torque wrench fixed the problem.

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Mission Sub 1 XR
1,101 Posts
I’ll revisit the idea when technology allows a sight to be made that doesn’t weigh 25% what my crossbow weighs and has a footprint under a small television set.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Good news. They jumped right on it too... I send an email asking for an eta.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. Should have mine back shortly and we'll see what happens. If it shoots straight I will live with the crooked reticle.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. Should have mine back shortly and we'll see what happens. If it shoots straight I will live with the crooked reticle.
Can you post a pic of the crooked reticle? Where did you get the scope from? Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wouldn't know how to take a picture, bought the scope from Wyvern. (great company BTW) The reticle is "slanted" to the left when mounted on the bow. Stock scope (tenpoint viper 400) was fine and shot well. There is a whole discussion on here about another fella had the same problem, he was so disgusted he sold the scope.

·
Registered
15,189 Posts
I wouldn't know how to take a picture, bought the scope from Wyvern. (great company BTW) The reticle is "slanted" to the left when mounted on the bow. Stock scope (tenpoint viper 400) was fine and shot well. There is a whole discussion on here about another fella had the same problem, he was so disgusted he sold the scope.
And the buyer doesn't notice it being crooked. :)
Do you have yours mounted on one of the newer narrow crossbows?

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
If your scope comes back either repaired or replaced and still shows the slanted reticle,
send it back requesting a refund. Reason being if you keep it and later wish to sell it to
purchase something different, the new buyer is not going to be very happy. That scope
is too much money to put up with a fault.

You may have already done this: when installing a scope on a crossbow, block the crossbow
level. Hang a weighted string 10 to 20 feet in front and view the vertical mark or line in the scope.
Properly set up, this mark or line should match the vertical string.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
15,189 Posts
Yes, a little over 7" cocked. Why do you ask? If its me doing something wrong sure would like to know. Thanks
I have found that when shooting my Ravin off some rests it makes my reticle look like it is canted bad even though I know for a fact it is not. It must be the cheek weld being a tad different using different rests on the narrow bows because none of my other crossbows do that. I have just learned to trust my bow level completely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have found that when shooting my Ravin off some rests it makes my reticle look like it is canted bad even though I know for a fact it is not. It must be the cheek weld being a tad different using different rests on the narrow bows because none of my other crossbows do that. I have just learned to trust my bow level completely.
That's what I'm hoping for, as long as it shoots straight, although annoying, I will get used to it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
if you are not directly behind the scope, at close range like 25 yards it can seem like the vertical reticle line can be tipped

usually tipped left the top of the vertical mark.

But i did have a scope that even when sitting flat on the table had the crosshairs turned in it. A parker i think it was.

just as robertyb said. I have learned to trust the level once i know the bow is leveled and plum
to a rope with a weight on it. I quit using a level on top of the scope for set up and things have been great ever since.

use a 3/8" diameter nylon yellow rope about 9' long at 20 yards. It lets you split the black crosshair on the rope center.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
My Oracle that was moving back and forth between the scope and scope mount I put in UPS on Monday. Burris sent me a prepaid shipping label. I just got an email that said it has been repaired and a detailed explanation of the problem and repair will be in the box with the scope

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
You could try holding a camera behind the scope's ocular (where your eye would normally be).
Best done if the xbow is level and in a sled or blocked up somehow so you do not have to support it with your hands.
Have someone help you if possible if you can't do it yourself.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
My Oracle that was moving back and forth between the scope and scope mount I put in UPS on Monday. Burris sent me a prepaid shipping label. I just got an email that said it has been repaired and a detailed explanation of the problem and repair will be in the box with the scope
Ouch !

Not being a Debbie Downer but maybe Burris should start including a return shipping label in the box “just in case”.

Reactions: bowmanmt
61 - 80 of 102 Posts