Crossbow Nation banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Update, finally got to sight in my Oracle X. Bottom line all is well. Scope works as advertised and is very accurate. Am very happy, push a button, put the red dot on target and let fly. Did have a little trouble calibrating it but a call to Burris and customer service straightened me out.(totally my fault) IMO you should not concerned about purchasing this scope, great product.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I had to send mine in for repair. The battery compartment screw in cap broke off, the menu didn't work correctly and it had a slight wobble when mounted. Waiting on them for 2 weeks now with no update!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sometimes you can over think something. My expirence with my Siege and OracleX goes like this. I hardly ever look at the level. I am shooting 60 yds max. I am not rock solid by any means. The only time I wanted everything to be perfect was during the truing process. Now I plop down my little seat, set up the Primos shooting tripod, turn Oracle on, tap the range button and shoot. I pay no attention to distance or is it perfectly level. If the shot is off I am confident that was me. I also never shoot at the same spot, all over the place. This combo is a tack driver along with Farmdeer arrows. I absolutely love all three components. Hope I don't jinx myself.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sometimes you can over think something. My expirence with my Siege and OracleX goes like this. I hardly ever look at the level. I am shooting 60 yds max. I am not rock solid by any means. The only time I wanted everything to be perfect was during the truing process. Now I plop down my little seat, set up the Primos shooting tripod, turn Oracle on, tap the range button and shoot. I pay no attention to distance or is it perfectly level. If the shot is off I am confident that was me. I also never shoot at the same spot, all over the place. This combo is a tack driver along with Farmdeer arrows. I absolutely love all three components. Hope I don't jinx myself.
X2!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Warning...I learned the hard way that you don't want your truing data points too close together.
Went hunting opening evening with just a 30 and 39 yard data point entered.
Shot a 8 pointer at 35 yards but shot was low and only got 1 lung. Decided to come back in the morning and not push him. Thank goodness, he was laying in a cold mountain creek not 40 yards from where I last saw him the evening before.
Set my broadhead target out to 35 yards and sure enough I was shooting over 2" low. from a tree stand. Then I decided to clear the old data points and enter 4 new points 5 yards apart starting with 30 yards. I really liked the results shooting from the ground but again was shooting low from a tree stand. Called Burris and they suggested 3 data points of 35, 50 and 70 yds. Tried the 35 yard tree stand shot once again after the new data points were entered and Bingo.
I'm still not a overly confident shooter with the OracleX and I think the thing could definitely be improved but it spoils you very quickly. Will try hunting with it again tomorrow when the weather finally gets cooler.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Warning...I learned the hard way that you don't want your truing data points too close together.
Went hunting opening evening with just a 30 and 39 yard data point entered.
Shot a 8 pointer at 35 yards but shot was low and only got 1 lung. Decided to come back in the morning and not push him. Thank goodness, he was laying in a cold mountain creek not 40 yards from where I last saw him the evening before.
Set my broadhead target out to 35 yards and sure enough I was shooting over 2" low. from a tree stand. Then I decided to clear the old data points and enter 4 new points 5 yards apart starting with 30 yards. I really liked the results shooting from the ground but again was shooting low from a tree stand. Called Burris and they suggested 3 data points of 35, 50 and 70 yds. Tried the 35 yard tree stand shot once again after the new data points were entered and Bingo.
I'm still not a overly confident shooter with the OracleX and I think the thing could definitely be improved but it spoils you very quickly. Will try hunting with it again tomorrow when the weather finally gets cooler.
I set my truing points at 35, 50, and 65 yards. From 10 yards to 75 yards every random distance shot was "red spot" on! I didn't shoot any further than 75 yards,but I could have added one more truing point beyond 65 if I felt the need to.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I set my truing points at 35, 50, and 65 yards. From 10 yards to 75 yards every random distance shot was "red spot" on! I didn't shoot any further than 75 yards,but I could have added one more truing point beyond 65 if I felt the need to.
I'm sure you're aware of this but just because it was "red spot" on doesn't mean diddley when you're shooting from an elevated tree stand. The sucker has to accurately calculate the horizontal component of the distance and there's no way of knowing it's right unless you test it.
IMO, this scope could use some definite software revisions that would assist the user in knowing how it's calculating distance. It also needs an offset adjustment that can compensate for temp. and humidity if you're serious about hitting what you're aiming at.
Also folks need to know it's not as accurate as you might think because of the limitations of the LED array. For instance, I have a lot of fencing at my farm and when you play with it to range fence posts. you discover some interesting facts. As an example, it can tell you the range is 24 or 25 yards but the calculated drop down LED stays the same. It's the same for 29 and 30 yards, I expect as you move out to further distances, the accuracy gets even more questionable with a single dot staying illuminated for a 3 yard range.
Of course, this is most likely good enough for hunting but I sure as heck wouldn't depend on it for serious target shooting.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm sure you're aware of this but just because it was "red spot" on doesn't mean diddley when you're shooting from an elevated tree stand. The sucker has to accurately calculate the horizontal component of the distance and there's no way of knowing it's right unless you test it.
IMO, this scope could use some definite software revisions that would assist the user in knowing how it's calculating distance. It also needs an offset adjustment that can compensate for temp. and humidity if you're serious about hitting what you're aiming at.
Also folks need to know it's not as accurate as you might think because of the limitations of the LED array. For instance, I have a lot of fencing at my farm and when you play with it to range fence posts. you discover some interesting facts. As an example, it can tell you the range is 24 or 25 yards but the calculated drop down LED stays the same. It's the same for 29 and 30 yards, I expect as you move out to further distances, the accuracy gets even more questionable with a single dot staying illuminated for a 3 yard range.
Of course, this is most likely good enough for hunting but I sure as heck wouldn't depend on it for serious target shooting.
I don't know, all I can say is that my experience was not the same as yours. I did shoot my set up from an 18' treestand with both fieldpoints and my 125 NAP SlingBlades. I have a practice treestand with a shooting rail set up right next to my shooting bench. The tree also provides shade over the bench. Performance was identical to what I shot at ground level. Software compensation for temperature and humidity? At normal crossbow ranges I shoot? I haven't shot a deer yet with any type of bow or crossbow at over 40 yards. I don't really think temperature and humidity will have any measurable affect at the distances I shoot. I also doubt if temperature or humidity will affect the sealed electronics within the scope itself, as it calculates distance and aiming point based on my truing arc. Just before I typed this, I went out back to shoot my Siege/Burris set up at 21, 22, 23, and 24 yards. I ranged each distance and the red aiming point did not move for each shot. Every shot hit the 1" orange aiming dot I was shooting at. I am guessing my Siege is shooting fast enough at those ranges so that no change in the red aiming point was needed, as the arrow dropped so little if at all. Out past 30 yards, the aiming dot does noticeably change position with a yard or two difference in actual range. Out past 40, it changes even more. That is why I bought the Burris scope, to do the ranging and display the correct aiming point for me. Remember, the Burris Oracle X automatically compensates for the downward or upward shot angle. That bit of programming calculation is built into the system. Every time I compared the Oracle X range number with my Leupold rangefinder, the distances were identical. Up, down, short or longer distance, the distance numbers were always the same.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
After hunting with my daughter I put the true points at 30 45 and 60. I then shot 30 40 and 60 and all were spot on. The hill in my back yard is about 18 feet above target. My range finder reads 30 yards and so does the Oracle X and it was spot on. I went up to the 2nd floor bath window and range finder read 34 yards and so did Oracle X and again bullseye.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
As an example, it can tell you the range is 24 or 25 yards but the calculated drop down LED stays the same. It's the same for 29 and 30 yards, I expect as you move out to further distances, the accuracy gets even more questionable with a single dot staying illuminated for a 3 yard range.
Didn’t DPMS try to feed us that his would range every yard with a different dot from 20 out to whatever?

·
Registered
338 Posts
It kills deer, that is what is important to me.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Reactions: Rit

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't know, all I can say is that my experience was not the same as yours. I did shoot my set up from an 18' treestand with both fieldpoints and my 125 NAP SlingBlades. I have a practice treestand with a shooting rail set up right next to my shooting bench. The tree also provides shade over the bench. Performance was identical to what I shot at ground level. Software compensation for temperature and humidity? At normal crossbow ranges I shoot? I haven't shot a deer yet with any type of bow or crossbow at over 40 yards. I don't really think temperature and humidity will have any measurable affect at the distances I shoot. I also doubt if temperature or humidity will affect the sealed electronics within the scope itself, as it calculates distance and aiming point based on my truing arc. Just before I typed this, I went out back to shoot my Siege/Burris set up at 21, 22, 23, and 24 yards. I ranged each distance and the red aiming point did not move for each shot. Every shot hit the 1" orange aiming dot I was shooting at. I am guessing my Siege is shooting fast enough at those ranges so that no change in the red aiming point was needed, as the arrow dropped so little if at all. Out past 30 yards, the aiming dot does noticeably change position with a yard or two difference in actual range. Out past 40, it changes even more. That is why I bought the Burris scope, to do the ranging and display the correct aiming point for me.
Yep! Meat in the freezer is really all that matters to me also.....
I get upset with myself for being to anual about hunting sometimes and not enjoying the actual hunt. If I have to start worrying about Temp and Humidity I am hanging it up.
I totally get it all about your goal and we all have different goals.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Didn’t DPMS try to feed us that his would range every yard with a different dot from 20 out to whatever?
Do you have a comprehension problem?

I didn't try to feed anything to anybody. I stated to everybody what my Oracle did when set up on the particular bow I was shooting at the time.

As I recall saying, and you continue to repeatedly ignore, the trajectory of the arrow from a particular bow will determine if the Oracle drops a new point. For bows on the fast side, a new aiming point may not drop every yard. For slower bows, like the one I was shooting, new aiming points basically came as the range increased by the yard.

Someone may not get a new aiming point every yard, which is what I said months ago. Someone else may, which is also what I said months ago. The trajectory of the set up determines if a new point is needed or not.

I don't understand why you doubt 75% of the information you get from people. Don't ask if you won't believe the answers. It seems in your desire to continually try to prove people wrong, you don't actually read or understand what is being said.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
Do you have a comprehension problem?

I didn't try to feed anything to anybody.
Rest assured, the OracleX will put an aiming point between the stadia lines. As a type this I ranged 28 yards. Then I ranged 29 yards and the Oracle dropped a lower aiming point. <<<<<<<<<<<
No comprehension problem here but you seem to have memory problem.

Do you get any compensation from Burris to push the Oracle X - kinda like doctors that get a kickback when recommending certain drugs?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
No comprehension problem here but you seem to have memory problem.
No memory problem here as I remember that statement and stand by it, but back to your comprehension problem............

That is precisely what I said and that is absolutely correct and others have said the same thing with their set ups. Yes, with the set up I was using at the time, I got a new aiming point basically every yard. Not sure why you continue to question it unless you can't follow along in the discussion as it relates to trajectories of other set ups?

Someone else posts that they did not get new point every yard and you question the information I posted previously like I am not being truthful and "feeding" stuff to people. Even when I said way back when that other set ups may not get a new point every yard, depending on their particular set up.

Is it so hard for you to understand that depending on someone's setup, they may or may not get a new aiming point? You have some sort of mental block on this issue, either on purpose or not, so you keep trying to cling to your bull crap.

I don't have anything over 400fps currently. I would imagine that the 450fps bows and 500fps Ravin may only get a half dozen aiming points or so between 20 and 40 yards.

Do you get any compensation from Burris to push the Oracle X - kinda like doctors that get a kickback when recommending certain drugs?
Nope! Now get over yourself man. Its getting really old and judging by the PMs I get, I guess I should expect this kinda crap from you and not even waste my time responding.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I got the OracleX put through the truing process on a 380fps bow right now. New aiming point when I moved from 25 yards to 26 yards. Am I lying TP and "feeding" misinformation to people?

You are more than welcome to swing through Pittsburgh and see for yourself...............

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Sorry guys. I had no intentions of getting a few folks involved in a shouting match.
I also am very grateful to dpms for being an advisor to Burris in helping with the development of the OracleX.
I'm sure as I get more experience with the OracleX, I'll probably get more comfortable with it.
I will say the built-in RF seems to be very repeatable and the scope works as advertised.
I was merely bringing up some discussion points that might lead to a even better OracleX in the future.
Wishing all of you OracleX owners continued success this hunting season.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts