Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I just went outside and ranged at 34 yards. I stepped back, ranged, and got a new dot at 35 yards. The same thing myself and a few others have told you before when you asked the same question.

With that said, at closer distances with a fast bow, you may not get a new aiming point every yard.

What did Burris tell you about parallax and objective diameter?
How much could you see that the dot had moved - a full dot, 1/2 dot, 1/4 dot, 1/10 dot, or smaller yet?

They told me what they were but they were probably wrong on that too.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I have had the OracleX on quite a few different bows. On my slower bows, pretty much a new aiming point for every yard past 25 yards.

I should add with the variable magnification of the OracleX, that can affect whether a new aiming point drops as well as yardage increases.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mine is performing exactly as dpms is stating and I also noticed the difference he is talking about on a higher magnification.

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Mission Sub 1 XR
781 Posts
I got a new crossbow delivered today to mount my Oracle X on. Now if only my oracle x would ship.

·
2,753 Posts
I have had the OracleX on quite a few different bows. On my slower bows, pretty much a new aiming point for every yard past 25 yards.

I should add with the variable magnification of the OracleX, that can affect whether a new aiming point drops as well as yardage increases.
If i read this right the scope drops a aiming point based on the power setting on the scope. So if you range a target/deer it drops a aiming point. Are you stuck with that power setting or can you turn the power up or down before you shoot.

Seems like i also read with some bows you might need to turn the power down to see the dot at 100yds. This kinda reinforces my question are you locked into a powersetting after ranging and the aiming dots has dropped.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
If i read this right the scope drops a aiming point based on the power setting on the scope. So if you range a target/deer it drops a aiming point. Are you stuck with that power setting or can you turn the power up or down before you shoot.
The scope does drop an aiming point based on the magnification setting and the range, but if you adjust the magnification after ranging, the aiming point adjusts with it without having to re-range.

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
615 Posts

Seems like i also read with some bows you might need to turn the power down to see the dot at 100yds. This kinda reinforces my question are you locked into a powersetting after ranging and the aiming dots has dropped.
You are correct the scope tells you to zoom in. With a slow bow you may not get 100.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I copied what DPMS said in post #15 and sent it to Conrad at Burris and here;’s the response. I realize the Burris tech rep is still probably wrong but I still think I’ll agree with Conrad.

Conrad Tapia (Burris Optics)

Jul 22, 2021, 7:25 AM MDT

Hello Tim,
Not a problem at all, we can absolutely go more in depth with an explanation. So, what the gear editor is trying to say is exactly the same as what we had previously mentioned to you just with different words and with more info which can make things more confusing.

So, when you range a target the optic will place a single dot in the reticle for you to hold over with which is your aiming point. The photo of the tree you provided before is as Gene mentioned the range fault tree. Now, to split hairs the dot may not always change. The optic will pick the best available point, as it can be plainly put its not possible to illuminate an LED that is between two LED's because it doesn't exist, therefore if you for example move back 1 yard it is VERY possible that the same LED will be illuminated and no change will be seen. This is because it is such a slight movement and there is no additional LED to light up so the optic will pick the best fit point.

At any rate, to reiterate and answer your original question simply, the entire tree will not always illuminate it only comes on when there is a range fault or you do something to activate it ( e.g. point at the ground or sky and range). You will range your target and the optic will calculate the holdover point for your distance based on your bolts trajectory ( which you need to program into the optic) and then the optic will provide you with one dot to use as your holdover point.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thank you for reaching out again and note that we have all been trained with the Oracle X and have the Engineers who designed it in the office directly below ours so if anything comes up that we don't know the answer to we know where to find it.

Happy hunting!
Thank you for contacting Burris Technical Support.
Best Regards,

Burris Technical Support

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
In my limited time with it I just know it works and is just as Precise, if not more so than my jack plate and hha. Can’t wait to get the X1 and get it really dialed in.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Now, to split hairs the dot may not always change. The optic will pick the best available point, as it can be plainly put its not possible to illuminate an LED that is between two LED's because it doesn't exist, therefore if you for example move back 1 yard it is VERY possible that the same LED will be illuminated and no change will be seen. This is because it is such a slight movement and there is no additional LED to light up so the optic will pick the best fit point.
Which is exactly what I said. The aiming point may not always change depending on the distance, speed of your bow and the magnification.

Now to get at the photo you posted of the reticle in post #14. If we are assuming that the red dots represent LED aiming points, those are not the only ones that are available within the scope. The photo shows 11 aiming points. Between each of those 11 aiming points are many other LEDs available in between that could be illuminated. The OracleX reticle does not only have 11 LED aiming points.

I think there is a failure to understand what is actually being asked on your part.

If none of that helps I would suggest you actually buy one, or go hold one and then you will understand how the scope places aiming points and how many points are possible within the reticle.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I think there is a failure to understand what is actually being asked on your part.
I know exactly what I’m asking.

Somewhere back in time (your first original post on it I think) you said you did a walk back and the dot changed for every 1 yard increment you moved back.

I just don’t think the Oracle X does that and it seems Conrad agrees.

Maybe you have a special prototype or something.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Somewhere back in time (your first original post on it I think) you said you did a walk back and the dot changed for every 1 yard increment you moved back.
Correct, depending on the range, magnification and speed of your bow. On slower bows you will indeed get a new aiming point almost every yard, especially past say 25. I posted last night how many I got between 20 and 40 yards.

So do you feel the reticle only has 11 aiming points as your picture shows?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
So do you feel the reticle only has 11 aiming points as your picture shows?
I don’t know, haven’t had one in my hands yet.

But if you were ranging from 20 to 60 yards, do you still believe there would be 40 different dots at 1 yard intervals?

I asked this long ago and I’m pretty sure you said yes. I’ve tried to find that old post but couldn’t - maybe it was deleted for some reason.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
But if you were ranging from 20 to 60 yards, do you still believe there would be 40 different dots at 1 yard intervals?
As I stated previously several times, that would depend on the speed of your bow and the magnification. Last night I believe I got 16 between 20 and 40. I would expect another 20 between 40 and 60.

On a slow bow, yes, it is entirely possible to get 40 different dots between 20 and 60.

Anyway. I am done with this.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts