Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several of our community rebuild and enhance the performance of these xbows on a daily basis. Within limits. Be it Excal, TP, WR, Barnett...etc... we all want the most that can be achieved from our xbow.
Not one brand/ manufacturer has a "DONT"(definitive).. .Xbows are tested at (so and so) grain arrow but you dont get that arrow setup in package Why?
These bows should be and are advertised to be the best of the best. Push them to your personal expectations and beyond.
When someone tells me you cant, I usually take that as a challenge

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I don't know what to say about that. The crossbow world is way behind the standards and practices of the vertical bow companies for whatever reason. Probably because much of what makes a crossbow isn't a factor in the same way that it is relevant to a vertical bow and the vertical bow owner.

I believe (with nothing to base that belief on) that crossbows would be folding faster than vertical bows if they were fired as much. Since that is not the case, a manufacturer is able to simply not address the integrity of construction, as it is not as relevant, due to stress related damages being hidden by lack of use. Looking at the typical time frame of ownership before that bow is sold, it is a fair assumption that damages from stress will most likely never be seen by the individual that bought it.
It may be a fair practice if not an ethical practice.

With the energy being produced by the typical crossbow (far exceeding that of the vertical bow) a liberty can also be given to bolt weights suggested, as any weight bolt is effective by comparison. Without a standard bolt weight being certified as to it's effect on the bows construction integrity, any company can suggest pretty much anything they want without regard to either effectiveness or construction. So there will be no standard set.

The only certification process that might come about will be based on an organization which has high consumer support and sets a standard which is supported by the public and manufacturer, such as those set by the IBO and AMO.
To have such an organization which can turn that wheel, there has to be enough people involved to have numbers which can control the flow via demand.
I don't see this happening in any way, shape or form.

The crossbow itself is almost impossible to put into a box which can be developed. There are too many variables such as power stroke and non adjustable weight that would be required in order to set a standard.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't know what to say about that. The crossbow world is way behind the standards and practices of the vertical bow companies for whatever reason. Probably because much of what makes a crossbow isn't a factor in the same way that it is relevant to a vertical bow and the vertical bow owner.

I believe (with nothing to base that belief on) that crossbows would be folding faster than vertical bows if they were fired as much. Since that is not the case, a manufacturer is able to simply not address the integrity of construction, as it is not as relevant, due to stress related damages being hidden by lack of use. Looking at the typical time frame of ownership before that bow is sold, it is a fair assumption that damages from stress will most likely never be seen by the individual that bought it.
It may be a fair practice if not an ethical practice.

With the energy being produced by the typical crossbow (far exceeding that of the vertical bow) a liberty can also be given to bolt weights suggested, as any weight bolt is effective by comparison. Without a standard bolt weight being certified as to it's effect on the bows construction integrity, any company can suggest pretty much anything they want without regard to either effectiveness or construction. So there will be no standard set.

The only certification process that might come about will be based on an organization which has high consumer support and sets a standard which is supported by the public and manufacturer, such as those set by the IBO and AMO.
To have such an organization which can turn that wheel, there has to be enough people involved to have numbers which can control the flow via demand.
I don't see this happening in any way, shape or form.

The crossbow itself is almost impossible to put into a box which can be developed. There are too many variables such as power stroke and non adjustable weight that would be required in order to set a standard.
b cross is right,...why? some state claims and don't back it up,one say's 400 fps but is only using a 350gr arrow compared to another thats using a 400gr. or might use a heavier draw wieght,and you don't find any info in the manual's as to tune or look for problems or what specs are.the only info i get is from crossbow forum.mostreviews iv'e read are baloney.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
b cross is right,...why? some state claims and don't back it up,one say's 400 fps but is only using a 350gr arrow compared to another thats using a 400gr. or might use a heavier draw wieght,and you don't find any info in the manual's as to tune or look for problems or what specs are.the only info i get is from crossbow forum.mostreviews iv'e read are baloney.
What a great assessment and on point. That sums it up for me as well.

In a world of chaos I go to the middle and look for a solid foundation which is knowledge. B Cross, BR are the anchors many of us can lean on here on CBN. Score!

Reactions: B cross

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Well....
Each manufacturer knows (assumed) what their bow will handle, so (leaving it to each) you cant fault them for picking/using whatever they want too.
It is up to the public to enact/require standards. The public made up organizations such as the IBO and we can too.
I don't know what good would come of it though. It is pretty easy to take what they use and calculate it forward/backwards into any standard you want to specify.
This isn't the old days when people (average) were in the dark. We all know (vertical and horizontal) what weight added equals speed lost and so forth.

Reactions: B cross

·
Registered
258 Posts
my point is your trying to buy a xbow or arrows,etc.....when your trying to compare you want to know if you are comparing apples to apples or apples to oranges.as an example i was interested in the barnett whitetail pro str i read in their catalog online which stated 400 fps with 165 lb. draw ,also seen it in numerous ads.that sold me .so i got one and found out draw is really 187lb....they should have refunded me my money like i asked but didn;nt.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
my point is your trying to buy a xbow or arrows,etc.....when your trying to compare you want to know if you are comparing apples to apples or apples to oranges.as an example i was interested in the barnett whitetail pro str i read in their catalog online which stated 400 fps with 165 lb. draw ,also seen it in numerous ads.that sold me .so i got one and found out draw is really 187lb....they should have refunded me my money like i asked but didn;nt.
You are hitting 2 different things here. To address the highlighted...
You are right and they are wrong if that is what you saw in an ad from Barnett. If it is not an ad from Barnett then you need to address the seller.

Apples to apples is not possible across the board because all manufactures sell different bows that may be at different weights.

That said...
I love my bow (the one you have) and would trade you fast for the bow I have (Barnett) in a lower weight.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Site says 187#

·
Registered
258 Posts
You are hitting 2 different things here. To address the highlighted...
You are right and they are wrong if that is what you saw in an ad from Barnett. If it is not an ad from Barnett then you need to address the seller.

Apples to apples is not possible across the board because all manufactures sell different bows that may be at different weights.

That said...
I love my bow (the one you have) and would trade you fast for the bow I have (Barnett) in a lower weight.
on your post you list the whitetail 11 pro,i have the whitetail pro str which is different.
Site says 187#
maybe is been updated but the barnett website i originally seen it on list ed on said 165# also i have the whitetail pro str not the whitetail 2 you have.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
on your post you list the whitetail 11 pro,i have the whitetail pro str which is different.

maybe is been updated but the barnett website i originally seen it on list ed on said 165# also i have the whitetail pro str not the whitetail 2 you have.
I have the STR. 2 of them. I'd snap a pic for you but here is one of them...picture below.
I bought it as it was advertised. They didn't change it.
Did you buy it off their site? from the factory?

jen 2018.jpg

·
Registered
258 Posts
i will state again i originally seen it on barnetts website and it stated 165# 400 fps with a 400 gr arrow. i didn't say i couln't kill a deer with.i like the trigger and the way it handles but mine shot 376fps and the string went across the barrel cockeyed and the string also sat above the rail by 1/8 inch, i sent it back asking for a new bow or a refund.they said the xbow had the wrong limb pivots which they fixed and said there were no other issues,when i got the bow back i chronoed it at 400 fps but it still had the cockeyed string but the string sat on the rail....

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
i will state again i originally seen it on barnetts website and it stated 165# 400 fps with a 400 gr arrow. i didn't say i couln't kill a deer with.i like the trigger and the way it handles but mine shot 376fps and the string went across the barrel cockeyed and the string also sat above the rail by 1/8 inch, i sent it back asking for a new bow or a refund.they said the xbow had the wrong limb pivots which they fixed and said there were no other issues,when i got the bow back i chronoed it at 400 fps but it still had the cockeyed string but the string sat on the rail....
Well I don't know what to say to that. Not like I monitor their site daily.
If that's what they claimed then that's BS because (at that weight) it would have been a different bow. Totally different. Like... another company.
Buyer? buyer beware?

If that's what you saw and that's what made you buy it then you are right.
If you believed it, then you were obviously wishing :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
yes my first real xbow purchase,and i called them asking questions,is the string supposed to sit off the rail?...thats okay they replied,now it sits on the rail go figure, also iv'e read numerous complaints on cf of people that don't like the point of the arrow sitting above the rail,what's the reason for a cnc machined rail then? barnett says that's okay

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
yes my first real xbow purchase,and i called them asking questions,is the string supposed to sit off the rail?...thats okay they replied,now it sits on the rail go figure, also iv'e read numerous complaints on cf of people that don't like the point of the arrow sitting above the rail,what's the reason for a cnc machined rail then? barnett says that's okay
ASK BUNNYRABBIT :D

Here is what I will say to what you say....

#1: That would be great! center of nock at least. But it millions of barnetts have been shooting dead on, running off the rail so I'm not sure just how much that matters.
#2: It doesn't matter
#3: a lot of people say a lot of things. Where the heck is it supposed to sit? in the center of the rail/ below the rail? Center point of the arrow should be center point height/width off the center of the rail....where the arrow lies.
If the arrow is .400 diameter, the center point above the rail should be .200 minus the rail groove depth.
This isn't rocket science or VooDoo.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
There are two versions of the Barnett Whitetail Pro STR.
The older version has the 165 pound draw weight.
The 2018 model has the 187 pound draw weight.
Both crossbows are listed as Barnett Whitetail Pro STR.

I recently returned the 2018 model with the 187 pound draw weight limbs due to too many faulty manufacturing errors.
Two Canadiantire stores in Canada listed these two crossbows under the same store number. I bought the 187 pound draw weight in one store and due to a snow storm in the area, I returned it to another Canadiantire store. Physically checking, the other crossbow, it was the 165 draw weight.

There are several Canadiantire stores in Canada, but each has a different owner. They try to follow the same Canadiantire store policy. I was offered the 165 draw weight as an exchange, but due to the difference in draw weight and the manufacture errors of the one I returned I refused. I tried to explain to the store owner where some one listed two Barnett Whitetail Pro STR which had different draw weights with the same store selling number. They did not believe me so I showed them the proof.
The store would not admit that a mistake had been made.

Another example: The Canadiantire store lists the Barnett Droptine STR as 160 pound draw weight at 350 FPS.
I purchased my 2018 Barnett Droptine STR from Lancaster Archery and it is the 185 pound draw weight at 380 FPS.

For anyone making a crossbow purchase, physically check the crossbow or if ordering, have the draw weight confirmed before buying.

The newer models 185 or 187 pound draw weight limbs on the Whitetail Pro STR and the Droptine STR have been shortened from 12 1/2" to 11" to provide for a narrower cocked crossbow.

Barnett's website lists:
Whitetail Hunter 11 as 150 pound draw weight 350 FPS.
Whitetail Hunter STR No draw weight 375 FPS.
Whitetail Pro STR 185 pound draw weight 400 FPS.

All the best.

·
Registered
539 Posts
How is the draw weight checked? I have a bow scale for my compound . Is it a similar tool?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts